maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   E30 steering/handling adjustments/problems (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25992)

Jon@Bimmersport 12-21-2003 03:06 AM

E30 steering/handling adjustments/problems

My E30 doesnt seem "right" to me..although i havent tried any other E30 this just doesnt seem right. When i was driving today..mikester and i gunned it from 50km on and the car felt..very, unstable..it felt like it was just going to go all over the place. and the steering was loose, even before a few donuts...it doesnt respond right away like i hear it should, and feels sloppy. Is there anything i can do to prevent it? I have OBX coilovers and Tokico Shocks.

Mystikal 12-21-2003 03:54 AM

I'll let you drive mine, which still has stock everything suspension wise, and you can judge from that.

Jon@Bimmersport 12-21-2003 03:55 AM

schweeet lol

crazyvadim 12-21-2003 03:59 AM

Re: E30 steering/handling adjustments/problems

Quote:

Originally posted by E46_lover
My E30 doesnt seem "right" to me..although i havent tried any other E30 this just doesnt seem right. When i was driving today..mikester and i gunned it from 50km on and the car felt..very, unstable..it felt like it was just going to go all over the place. and the steering was loose, even before a few donuts...it doesnt respond right away like i hear it should, and feels sloppy. Is there anything i can do to prevent it? I have OBX coilovers and Tokico Shocks.
Torque steer:P

Na,but how much miles you got on the shocks and when was the last time you did an alignment?? Did you do an alignment when you installed the shocks??

Jon@Bimmersport 12-21-2003 04:06 AM

alignment in the summer when i got a new steering rack...the shocks were put in this spring

Mystikal 12-21-2003 04:08 AM

Quote:

schweeet lol
For every RPM above 1000 that the clutch has to swallow, I will punch you in the face. :huh?:

Jon@Bimmersport 12-21-2003 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mystikal
For every RPM above 1000 that the clutch has to swallow, I will punch you in the face. :huh?:
oooook, anyone else wanna let me try their car? lol

HooliGaN* 12-21-2003 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mystikal

lol
thats hilarious
i could just imagine that

lol

Julian

Jon@Bimmersport 12-21-2003 08:10 PM

on the E30..steering is supposed to be tight..right? like if i move the steering wheel a bit the car will move..right?

bmwm5lover 12-21-2003 08:16 PM

i dont know about yours, but i've noticed that w/ my car, when im driving normally, the steerign wheel feels a bit heavier, and when im driving agressively it becomes really light. its absolutely incredible!

Jon@Bimmersport 12-21-2003 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bmwm5lover
i dont know about yours, but i've noticed that w/ my car, when im driving normally, the steerign wheel feels a bit heavier, and when im driving agressively it becomes really light. its absolutely incredible!
mine is always loose and light...i like the lightness...but i dont lke it feeling sloppy..also when i turn at slow speeds i hear like,..cracking and moaning..but my PS fluid level is fine.

SebSter 12-21-2003 09:38 PM

yeah i have a weird problem with steering too it doesnt always happen but when im making a turn from stop (left turns is the only time i can remember it happening) the car kinda shakes from side to side... i figure its probably somethign ****ed up with the suspension

oh and lately ive been getting the creaking noise when steering at slow speeds too, my mechanic told me not to worrry about it though

SpudBoy 12-21-2003 10:55 PM

Quote:

oooook, anyone else wanna let me try their car? lol
not this guy...

sounds like you might need a classic E30 front end bushing replacement but Charlie can tell you more.

Jon@Bimmersport 12-22-2003 12:28 AM

my bushings are fine charlie already checked front, and rear.

sebster..im guessing its because of the cold.

Slowered318 12-22-2003 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SebSter
yeah i have a weird problem with steering too it doesnt always happen but when im making a turn from stop (left turns is the only time i can remember it happening) the car kinda shakes from side to side... i figure its probably somethign ****ed up with the suspension

oh and lately ive been getting the creaking noise when steering at slow speeds too, my mechanic told me not to worrry about it though

that sounds like a control arm bushing..