maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Best year round sexy car under 12 grand (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25987)

Understated 12-20-2003 10:54 PM

Best year round sexy car under 12 grand

hm....just looking for some general knowledge.

cuz next year hopefully i will be able to save up for my first car.

i want it to be SEXYYYYY as hell....driveable year round....and very reliable as well as not TOO expensive to maintain.

i'm in love with E36s..but i'm not sure if the RWD will be a valuable thing to me in the snow.

*smoke*

Soldo 12-20-2003 11:02 PM

RWD is NO PROBLEMS if..........
A) You have GOOD snow tires
B) your not TOO stupid and can learn to control the car
C) your not a WOMEN driver!
Other than that a E36 is a GREAT car to get, and for 12g's you can get one in a GOOD condition (earlier E36, 92-95 ISH)
Go for the 325 M50 engine, one word: BULLETPROOF !!

Understated 12-20-2003 11:12 PM

i've heard a lot of you guys talk about M50 engines.?...what does that mean.

now i know about the E30s, the E36s, and the E46s but i always hear the M50 accompanying some E36s.

is it an M5 engine or something :D

Soldo 12-20-2003 11:23 PM

i WISH it was the M5 engine!!
The M/S50 is the 2.5/3.0L inline six engine that bmw made from 92-95 (94-95 for the M), and it is virtually undestructable, obviously you get the odd engine made on a monday, and you get nothing but problems but it seems most M50 engines were made in the middle of the week, like WEDNESDAY, when the workers are actually paying attention to their job!
My car is pushing 250km's+ and its a WEDNESDAY engine for sure!
No problems with the engine yet (knock on wood) and i track the car and everything!
Theres also are some variations, the 92 2.5L had NO VANOS (aka, GERMAN VTEC) and 93-95 did, same power, i think, but sounds sooooo much nicer!
The 92's are more rev happy, and are capable of reving higher due to the dual valve springs that came with the engine!

ANYONE: feel free to correct me if i fakd up on anything!

Understated 12-20-2003 11:26 PM

250km?...HOLY SWEET JESUS.

i thought my dad's buick was indestructable as it got it's tranny changed at 220 :eek:

but yea, i saw alot of e36'rs on autotrader above 150km and that got me sorta worried...

so which version o fthe E36 do you think would be my best bet within the next year or two?

which model i.e. 320i?..325is..318is?318i? etc. and what year range?

also keep in mind that insurance will be a huge issue, me being 16 years old and a male and all*uzi*

also how do i know if the engine was made on monday :D

Soldo 12-21-2003 12:34 AM

i wish there was a way to tell apart monday engines from wednesday engines, but just turn the car on, and just listen for funny sounds, and most importantly, TEST drive, and by that i mean take the first few gears allllllll the way through the rpm's!
Ya, most people get worried about high km's, but i wouldn't, i mean something may happen to my car no doubt, but i have faith in my engine and maintain it as often as possible, my 320 had 260 before i smashed it, no problems with that, and my 325i, even ran a 15.2 1/4mile, at 194km's, did i mention it was BONEEEEEE STOCK!
They're great engines without a doubt!
Insurance wise...........CALL MAN, thats your best bet, just depends on the company really, everyone always gets a different quote.......but if insurance becomes a problem, go for a 318, and they're good on gas as well. The 320i is a GREAT car, much better than a 318 (not in speed) in regards to engine smoothness, lets face it nothing beats a inline six, but if you ever plan on modding, the 320i is almost IMPOSSIBLE to find serious performance parts! And between a 2dr. and 4dr. whcihever you prefer more, it will make a slight difference on iunsurance but if the car is 10 years or older, it won't make MUCH a difference, again, always different. When i first bought my car i liked the 4dr.s more than the 2dr. but recently i've fallen in love in the 2dr's!!!
GOOD LUCK!*smoke*

crazyvadim 12-21-2003 12:56 AM

Of course i suggest the E36 325 or you can even find a 328 for 12 grand easily.My second suggestion if you dont want rear wheel drive is an Acura Legend,that car is seriously bulletproof with its honda engine.I had over 160,000k miles on it and it was still going strong and i had the Type 2 engine,which had like 230HP so i was able to beat my competition which was Nissan Maximas back then.The question is,do you want a 2 door or a 4 door??

Understated 12-21-2003 01:45 AM

i guess at the moment i would go for a 4 door because it would be easier to haul ppl in...as well as my parents might find it useful to use sometimes*angel*

but then again... 2door would be 10x more sexy...it'd have more of a 'sporty' feel when i pulled up to my driveway at the end of the day.
Also, i would love to reply with "i drive a beemer coupe" if any1 asked me what i drove*wave*

so i guess i'll have to seriously think about it from now and next year*mumble*

oh yea...and i forgot to mention i am currently driving cars auto.

but i would DEFINATELY want to learn how to drive manual by April.
i will take my G2 test with an auto car tho;)
Manual IS better on gas right?*angel*

Understated 12-21-2003 02:36 AM

btw my family already has a 2002 Honda Civic 4 door.

should i just keep this car instead of spending the 12 grand or so on a beemer within the next year? I mean it would save me alot of money. But i would be unable to 'boast about my car':moon:

---
waht u drive?
"uhhhhh...um....uhhh...civic*mumble* "
PAAAAHAHAHAAHAHA..do you have it all 'tricked out' racer boy?
:mad:
---

and i know reliability on jap cars are great...but i JUST cannot get over HOW many ppl have one...there are like 5 civics in EACH of my school's parking lots(we have two lots) We only have 1 bimmer and it's an X5 4.4i *mw* with those snowflake rims*wiggle*

anywho...i can't wait to drive*angel*

Jon@Bimmersport 12-21-2003 04:20 AM

if you can..put that 12g down and finance a mazda 3..IMO they arent that bad!

crazyvadim 12-21-2003 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Echo

should i just keep this car instead of spending the 12 grand or so on a beemer within the next year? I mean it would save me alot of money. But i would be unable to 'boast about my car':moon:

---
waht u drive?
"uhhhhh...um....uhhh...civic*mumble* "
PAAAAHAHAHAAHAHA..do you have it all 'tricked out' racer boy?
:mad:
---

and i know reliability on jap cars are great...but i JUST cannot get over HOW many ppl have one...there are like 5 civics in EACH of my school's parking lots(we have two lots) We only have 1 bimmer and it's an X5 4.4i *mw* with those snowflake rims*wiggle*

anywho...i can't wait to drive*angel*

Get a Legend man,they come both coupe and sedan and they are discontinued so you wont see alot of em on the road.Other cars i suggest is the chrysler 300M,good luxury car for a bargain,Infiniti Q45 or a older lexus.

WhadUpp 12-21-2003 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by crazyvadim
Get a Legend man,they come both coupe and sedan and they are discontinued so you wont see alot of em on the road.Other cars i suggest is the chrysler 300M,good luxury car for a bargain,Infiniti Q45 or a older lexus.
The Q45 is worth a look, the Legends on the other hand are mechanically sound but you might be hard pressed to find one that's rust-free

Justin e36 12-21-2003 06:41 AM

Definately go with the Legend... awesome cars... very luxurious, and you can get 6-Speed manual!.. (woohoo!)... near impossible to break those things.

Mitch555 12-21-2003 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Echo

Who really cares what anyone else thinks of you or your car! Big Deal. If I were you I'd save your $12,000 and drive your parents Civic. Itz a free car, so why pay for one?

Gizmo 12-21-2003 12:33 PM

My mom's car is a wednesday car for sure, its a BMW E34 535i 1991, it has done over 420 000km without the motor being touched, only thing we had to replace was a new clutch at 280 000km. The car still drives very well with no smoke.

The M50 engine is probably the most reliable engine to come out the Munich stables.