maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio/Sound (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   XM or SIRUIS Satellite Radio (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25372)

Alwysfresh 12-07-2003 01:09 PM

XM or SIRUIS Satellite Radio

Is anyone here running either a SIRUIS or XM Radio satellite radio system in the Toronto area? Just wondering what the reception is like because they don't guarantee service here (US only for now)...or any other information/experiences you have.

I was thinking of going to the states and getting a system and setting up an account using a friend's US address.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

djcontra 12-07-2003 01:44 PM

I would like to know as well because I wouldn't mind checking it out if it has trance and jungle on it's selection

Jon@Bimmersport 12-07-2003 04:12 PM

I thought signal was only broadcasted to the US?

e30bim 12-08-2003 12:26 AM

Hey I am running xm in Oakville, and the service is great. I have never lost signal anywhere in ontario, only when your under a bridge or beside a really tall building. Music is great as well.

e30bim 12-08-2003 12:28 AM

And XM is better i think.

Ron 12-08-2003 01:45 AM

XM's reception sux whenever I'm in Downtown T.O. However, when I'm back here in Sauga everything's crystal clear.

NickP 12-08-2003 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by E46_lover
I thought signal was only broadcasted to the US?
So's Dishnetwork and DSS...

How do you guys subscribe?

Ron 12-08-2003 11:57 PM

I use my bro's US addy to subscribe.

NickP 12-09-2003 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ron
I use my bro's US addy to subscribe.
How much is it?

Jase 12-09-2003 02:26 PM

Guess I am S.O.L . I dont know anyone in the states. I wonder if I can use a P.O box?.

Ron 12-10-2003 02:43 AM

U$9.99/mo.

BladeRunner 12-10-2003 10:00 PM

Yeah i'v here the old rule of thumb when it comes to buying something. You get wahat you pay for. Last time i checked XM was more expensive and offered the best audio quality. futhermore, it has more commercial free stations. i think i would go for XM because it has the widest user base with a numer in the hundreds of thousands, i think, so there may be enough revenues/ROI to stay in bussiness. nonetheless, it is offered by many manufacturers on the new vehicle

Alwysfresh 12-10-2003 11:31 PM

That's actually incorrect. XM is cheaper than SIRIUS with fewer stations and has commercials. SIRIUS is commercial free with the same number of channels (XM has 101, SIRIUS has 100). The programming is not exactly the same between the two...just depends on your music preferences I guess. Both companies are fiercely battling for market supremicy right now, so who knows who will end up on top. XM just hit 1,000,000 subscribers while SIRIUS is at 200,000, but that is because of thier respective alliances with car makers. XM is signed on with GM so they've been able to penetrate further so far. SIRUIS has recently signed on with BMW and Mercedes (amongst others), so we'll be seeing more of them in the future in that end of the market. I believe SIRIUS had some cash flow issues earlier this year, but they've made some moves to improve, and they're doing much better now. In my opinion, they're pretty close, but I'm leaning towards SIRIUS because they're commercial free, I prefer their programming, and they're now affiliated with BMW. Hopefully they can bypass the fed regulations to get this stuff up here soon.

6cylinder 12-11-2003 01:29 AM

I just bought a new Alpine deck that supports XM radio. I was told if i go to the Alpine dealer ( steeles and woodbine) or wardenand they would set me up the subsciption with there US address. Waiting till after christmas..

BladeRunner 12-12-2003 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alwysfresh
That's actually incorrect. XM is cheaper than SIRIUS with fewer stations and has commercials.

Sorry, I meant it the other way. After the number of edits that had to be done after typing with one had I should have reread it for correctness.

Well, thank you for correcting me.

I didn't know that bit about Sirius and BMW so it should be interesting to see how things look 2-6yrs from now.