maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   projector headlights? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25285)

BimmerBalla14 12-05-2003 04:06 PM

projector headlights?

ive been lookin to upgrade my headlights. i want HID, but whats this i hear about projector headlights...? are they HID? or...what? lol

BimmerBalla14 12-14-2003 05:28 AM

lol...no one else knows either?

thinair 12-14-2003 07:18 AM

projectors are just a type of headlight housing that the light goes through a projector lens for more precise light spray.

Generally with BMW's projectors (also known as ellipsoids) were available from factory on many models. I believe they started to be available with the e32 and e34's.

On the e34's and e32s they're noticable by the 2" glass ball in the center of the low beam. I don't have any pictures to compare the differences from ellipsoids to normal lights.

Also, you can run either normal halogen bulbs, or a xenon kit in either normal or projector housings, but xenon's with projectors is the ultimate in lighting and safety.

BimmerBalla14 12-17-2003 02:27 AM

gracias, so the projector and ellipsoid are 1) the same and 2) just the style of the housing?

Miguel 12-17-2003 03:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by thinair
On the e34's and e32s they're noticable by the 2" glass ball in the center of the low beam. I don't have any pictures to compare the differences from ellipsoids to normal lights.
They look like this ;)

Mystikal 12-17-2003 12:13 PM

Showoff...:P

///Greco540 12-17-2003 02:24 PM

Xenon projectors(ellipsoids) are different that halogen projectors(ellipsoids). Be carefull what you buy.

Miguel 12-17-2003 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ///Greco540
Xenon projectors(ellipsoids) are different that halogen projectors(ellipsoids). Be carefull what you buy.
Are you talking about the actual bulbs or the headlight housing?
Xenon are bulbs + ballasts, they can be fitted to european ellips or US spec ellips. on E34's.

///Greco540 12-17-2003 06:27 PM

Yes I was talking about the housings. Xenon projector housings are different that the halogen ones. Yes you can make them fit, but then you can pretty much guarantee you'll be blinding someone. The xenon housings contain a solenoid which provides the sharp cutoff for the xenon light. Plus the geometrics, and materials inside for reflexion purposes are different.

I always say if you want to do a mod, do it the right way or don't do it at all.

Jon@Bimmersport 12-17-2003 08:23 PM

do they make xenon euro smoked ellipsoid kits for E30?

Miguel 12-17-2003 08:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by ///Greco540
The xenon housings contain a solenoid which provides the sharp cutoff for the xenon light. Plus the geometrics, and materials inside for reflexion purposes are different
Are you referring to the "smiley" ?

AndreNY 12-17-2003 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Miguel
Are you talking about the actual bulbs or the headlight housing?
Xenon are bulbs + ballasts, they can be fitted to european ellips or US spec ellips. on E34's.

yes u can instlal them but you cannot see ANYTHING, its a total waste of money. I ahd xenons on my Hella smoked, and could not see $hit i was sooooooooooooooooooooooo pissed. Someone told me the reason i couldnt not see was because i was using the wrong bulb. but that is not the reason

Miguel 12-18-2003 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by AndreNY
yes u can instlal them but you cannot see ANYTHING, its a total waste of money. I ahd xenons on my Hella smoked, and could not see $hit i was sooooooooooooooooooooooo pissed. Someone told me the reason i couldnt not see was because i was using the wrong bulb. but that is not the reason
Are your Hella smoked the euro ones with the smiley?
So why couldnt you see anything? was the ballast shot?

Mystikal 12-18-2003 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by E46_lover
do they make xenon euro smoked ellipsoid kits for E30?
No, you'd have to get the smoked ellips (which are euro only for now) and retrofit an HID kit. MMSport does it.

Mystikal 12-18-2003 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Miguel
Are you referring to the "smiley" ?
All the smiley does is direct light that is not projected out of the ellipsoid (the "trash") and throw it directly towards the ground, where the driver cannot see. It serves no practical purpose.