maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Track Junkies (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Traction Control "ON or OFF" (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24982)

E36pilot 11-28-2003 03:37 PM

Traction Control "ON or OFF"

Traction control is automatically ON in the E36 M3's. Now I have found that when at the dragstripo my times are BETTER with it off. Under daily driving conditions I also find that the handling and control is ALSO better with it OFF. I mean I drift ALL THE TIME, the car slides around corners with ease and under seemingly easy control at that. The only downfall is I have gone through my new set of Brgdestone Potenza SO3's with only 7,000 miles on them (rear). I might be able to get an addition 2K from them, but the traction control button can be expensive. I honestly didn't know that the light ON disabled it for probably the first month of me owning the car, one day I decided turn it on and realized it was really off, then I grabbed the manual to verify...which it did. Anyone else have any insight or thoughts/experiences on the traction control of their bimmer?

Slowered318 11-28-2003 03:48 PM

My car doesn't have a Traction Control button, I have one built into my foot.

The experience is worth more then the tires.

E36pilot 11-28-2003 04:51 PM

LOL there ya go! I guess I'm with ya, don't like the RPMs being retarded.

MP328 11-28-2003 08:49 PM

since i drive mine in the winter, it's very handy i'd say. without it it would be a pain in the a$$ to take off. even rainy days are crappy.

but as u said for racing od sliding i turn it off as well :)

330DTM 11-29-2003 12:26 AM

Well from the averge driver perspective, traction control helps. It helps you get going from a stop in slippery conditions in a controlled fashion. People who don't have much driving experience in the snow have a tendency of flooring it when they're stuck in the snow. Traction control, however, helps to get the car going but reducing excessive wheel slippage and even if the driver floors it with traction control on, the computer will cut ignition or apply brakes to the wheels slipper excessively.

Anyways when I had the 328 I could tell when traction control kicked it. I could, often, hear the eletronics making this slight buzzing noise and at the same time I could see the traction control light blinking when wheel slippage occured.

From a performance driving perspective, it's better to drive without traction control. It give you greater control and is dependent on driver inputs.

For winter driving, I'd advise leaving the traction control on. Just so that the tail won't kick out as easily if u accidentally apply too much throttle. But if you like to have some fun, then turn traction control off and from there, you'll have to modulate the throttle application, don't be too heavy footed :D

Bigbore 11-29-2003 04:40 AM

of course your gonna get better times with traction control off, that means you are at least a semi skilled driver with some potential! People who get beter times with traction control and they have bascially stock cars are people who cannot drag, or have little to no experience, or think that spinning tires = fast.

thinair 11-29-2003 04:10 PM

I actually removed my traction control from my car because the first thing I did when I got in it was to press the ASC button (disabling it).

If I drove my car in the winter, I would more then likely reinstall it for the winter months though.

I never really found it too helpful, the only think I liked is how it prevents one wheel from spinning by applying the brakes on that wheel.

SickFinga 12-01-2003 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by thinair

I never really found it too helpful, the only think I liked is how it prevents one wheel from spinning by applying the brakes on that wheel.

ASC doesnt have that
DSC has it.

So for us all it does is it cut the fuel supply to the engine, thats it

steelraven 12-02-2003 12:37 AM

I got stuck in deep snow earlier this year and couldn't move.....finally figured out it was the DSC keeping the wheels from slipping so I turned it off and ripped my way through with rooster tails ablazin.

Ain't technology wonderful?

captainchris 12-03-2003 06:32 PM

Traction control takes .5 sec off my 0 to 60 times and in the dry really blunts iniitial acceleration. In the wet I prefer it on as Im unsure about the full extent about my driving skills. It only works below 23 mph so I read. A colleague who drives in switzerland finds it buggers him up if he uses it in deep snow.

JazzM 12-03-2003 07:22 PM

I removed the ACS elbow off my throttle body... Apparently its very restrictive and impedes the airflow. This can be replaced with an OEM BMW intake elbow. :)

regards,

GR8 Ride 12-05-2003 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SickFinga
ASC doesnt have that
DSC has it.

So for us all it does is it cut the fuel supply to the engine, thats it

Wrong. ASC+T includes traction control, and ties into the ABS computer to pulse the rear brakes. This is how BMW was able to run open differentials on several E36 chassis.

Pat

SUPERCHARGED 12-05-2003 07:37 PM

since i drive my car in the winter. i keep it on, it really helps, i don't know how you could drive without it. but in the summer as soon as i sit in the car, i turn it off. gives me control of the wheels.

the first few month that i got my car. i thought if the asc light was on it ment the traction control was on, :):). thank god this was in the summertime. but on a few rainy days, i almost killed myself a couple of time. ;)

E36pilot 12-07-2003 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by GR8 Ride
Wrong. ASC+T includes traction control, and ties into the ABS computer to pulse the rear brakes. This is how BMW was able to run open differentials on several E36 chassis.

Pat

So is there two different kinds then? I see in my manual it refers to this as ASC+T, however my dash simply displays ASC. Is this still ASC+T? I have a 98 E36 M3.

SickFinga 12-08-2003 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by GR8 Ride

Pat

i was so sure about that, but damn you are right again
so DSC applies brakes to the front. Is that the main difference?