maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Internal E30 rust (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24198)

Jon@Bimmersport 11-12-2003 08:19 PM

Internal E30 rust

i have rust in the engine compartment, and inside the trunk in the wells, as well as on the door pilar on the rear window next to the door part...im wondering, can this be de-rusted? lol...or is it like always going to be there and cause a problem?

SpoolinS6 11-12-2003 08:22 PM

it can be fixed but it will cost some cash !

Autotechnica 11-12-2003 08:24 PM

Those are the worst places to have rust. Depending on how bad it is you may or may not be able to fix it. Honestly, if I were to buy a used car and I found rust inside the trunk or in the engine compartment, I would avoid buying it completely.

Is it just surface rust or bubbling? If your not sure how bad it is, use some sand paper and lightly sand it, it shouldn't take long to see the metal surface if it's just surface rust. Since your car's black sand all the rust off and just touch it up with some "Tremclad" rust paint. It's black so it should cover up quite well.

I had a little rust on the inside of one of my fenders. I grinded it down and took out all the rust, touched it up with the Tremclad rust paint and the rust has never come back 2 years later.

Bry

Jon@Bimmersport 11-12-2003 09:19 PM

wat grit paper? this is inside the trunk..not on the trunk openning but where the jack is...and in the hood its surface rust that is like peeling off lol

BMW BMXer 11-12-2003 10:26 PM

I have rust under my trunk seals its not pretty.

Were you have it is worse.

I am of no help to u.

WASABI 11-12-2003 11:08 PM

If it's just surface rust, then yeah, you should be able to sand it down to the metal and spray some good rust paint on it, then buy a can of that red Rust Check oil spray, and spray it afterwards. If the rust is all the way through, then there's nothing you can do but cut the panel that's rusted, and weld on a new piece.*thmbsdwn*

Jon@Bimmersport 11-13-2003 01:41 AM

wasabi..wanna help me with what u jus said? except the cutting one..lol

bmwm5lover 11-13-2003 02:15 AM

ouch it seems like ur cars got rust in the worst places of all...
but do what everyone else said...

BMW_M52_M20 11-13-2003 03:03 AM

Unfortunatly, those are spots where water get at over time which probably means it is not surface rust.....As mentioned those are crucial spots to have rust.....I can't remember who said it on here but "Once you get rust in those crucial spots, it is like cancer, never goes away."

Hey but try sanding it down then some bondo and you may have some luck.....

WASABI 11-13-2003 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by E46_lover
wasabi..wanna help me with what u jus said? except the cutting one..lol
But I like cutting ... :moon: Just spray some black paint over it, what you can't see won't bother you. *th-up*

BMW BMXer 11-13-2003 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by WASABI
But I like cutting ... :moon: Just spray some black paint over it, what you can't see won't bother you. *th-up*
TIll his jack falls through and onto the road.

WASABI 11-13-2003 04:42 PM

Jack will be of no use anyway when all the jack points have rusted out. :D

Jon@Bimmersport 11-13-2003 06:56 PM

ha ha ha mr. rustbucket civic..lol

the jack will still be of use so i can hit u on the head for those stupid comments hahaha...anyways, let me know if ur up for it.