maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photoshop Works (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Tutorial: TV Lines (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23176)

Gamite 10-23-2003 05:01 AM

TV Lines Tutorial

1 Attachment(s)
It seems that many of you are putting TV lines in your signatures, and I've gotten a few questions on how to do it, so here's a tutorial I wrote up. I hope it helps.

This is the "proper" way to do it:

1) we need an image, here's a random image I took off my computer, resize it to a desireable size, crop, whatever.

I chose this picture of or mascot, "Empowerd" ;)

Gamite 10-23-2003 05:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
2) Now go over to your layers window on the right, and click "CHANNELS"

Click that arrow on the top right of the window as noted in the image below. Click "NEW CHANNEL"

Gamite 10-23-2003 05:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
3) a pop up dialog will come up, click "OK"

Gamite 10-23-2003 05:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
4) your window will go black, now zoom in as much as you can (1600%)

Gamite 10-23-2003 05:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
5) Now click the line tool (1) and draw a horizontal line, it doesnt matter how long. Make sure "Anti Aliased" is UNCHECKED at the top.

6) Now, take the marquee tool (2) and select 2 pixels, one black one white.

7) Click "EDIT > Define Pattern" and type in whatever you want to call your new pattern, eg. "TV Lines"

Gamite 10-23-2003 05:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
8) now delete the white part so the image is completely black and then click "EDIT > Fill..."

9) Under contents click the drop down box and select patter. Then select the TV Lines patter in the box below.

10) Click "OK"

The result, you will get a bunch of horrizontal white lines, which is the basis of your TV Lines.

Gamite 10-23-2003 05:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
11) Now go over to the channels window that you opened earlier that you created your new channel with. "CTRL+Click" your TV lines channel.

it will look something like this. Basically, you've highlighted only the white lines. This works because you're in the alpha channel.

Gamite 10-23-2003 05:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
12) Now click the Layers tab in the same window, and go back to your image. Make a new Layer (Layer > New... > Layer).

13) Click "Edit > Fill..." But this time, click foreground colour instead of Pattern.

I find that BLACK is the most effective colour.

click "OK"

Gamite 10-23-2003 05:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
From this point on, you're pretty much free to do whatever you like, spruce it up a bit, play around, do what you like. Usually changing the oppacity on the TV Lines layer to about 30-50% is more visually appealing.

I added some depth using feathering to make it look kinda like a TV.

I hope the tutorial helps, ask whatever questions you like.

NOTE: Once you've done this procedure, you don't have to re-create the pattern anymore, just go into the alpha channel and continue on from step 8

///Milk 11-05-2003 12:53 AM

thx for the tutorial Gamite...i hope it'll work for me..heheh

koncise 11-05-2003 03:27 AM

Thanks man, I've wanted to know how to do this for the longest time.

One part of your tutorial threw me off a bit though... you should clarify that before doing step 8 (edit -> fill), you need to make sure to DESELECT the 2 pixels that were selected. Took me a few minutes to figure out why it wasn't working for me :)

Gamite 11-05-2003 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by koncise
Thanks man, I've wanted to know how to do this for the longest time.

One part of your tutorial threw me off a bit though... you should clarify that before doing step 8 (edit -> fill), you need to make sure to DESELECT the 2 pixels that were selected. Took me a few minutes to figure out why it wasn't working for me :)

ok I'll fix that up.

SpudBoy 11-07-2003 01:37 AM

personally, I've given up on the cloned-sig-mode.

an original pic + original effects = SICSIG.

Spud totes his old Win'95 lightwave 3D compatible-puter to the repair shop.

(sorry I can't afford Maya:( )

thanks for the tutorial Gamite*th-up*

Gamite 11-07-2003 04:27 AM

cloned sig?

tlaselva 11-07-2003 04:37 AM

Gamite, you should have a weekly PShop tip/lesson, much like this one........:cool:

What version are u using? :confused: