maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photography (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   New Canon Rebel Digital (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23122)

BiBimBap 10-22-2003 12:59 PM

New Canon Rebel Digital

1 Attachment(s)
Could be finally the Digital SLR that's friggen affordable! Interchangable lenses (Canon EF), super fast focusing and multi-shot capability. Plus 6.3MP resolution too.

Gonna wait until xmas for this puppy to drop down it's $1500CAD price..

Unless someone knows of a place that's cheaper..

WhadUpp 10-22-2003 01:50 PM

Awesome camera!! For the price range youre getting alot. 6.3 megapixels with SLR features is real nice.

I've got the Olympus C-750 but the Rebel is in another league, but I'll get it too when the price drops. *th-up*

johnoz 10-22-2003 02:53 PM

Re: New Canon Rebel Digital

It is currently going for $1350 cdn at tigerdirect.ca
But I will drop further. Since for me photograpy season opens in Spring (by that time it probably will be sub $1000) I will definately get one. Plus if I can find an affordable stabilzed ultra zoom lens I am all set.

Let's see, what the competiton will do about it though

Quote:

Originally posted by BiBimBap
Could be finally the Digital SLR that's friggen affordable! Interchangable lenses (Canon EF), super fast focusing and multi-shot capability. Plus 6.3MP resolution too.

Gonna wait until xmas for this puppy to drop down it's $1500CAD price..

Unless someone knows of a place that's cheaper..

Bob Loblaw 10-22-2003 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by WhadUpp
Awesome camera!! For the price range youre getting alot. 6.3 megapixels with SLR features is real nice.

Sorry for my noob question, but what do you mean by "with SLR features"?

Bliss 10-22-2003 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bob Loblaw
Sorry for my noob question, but what do you mean by "with SLR features"?
SLR stands for "Manual Single-lens-Reflex" An SLR camera is one that you can adjust everything manually instead of electronically. What you see in the viewfinder is what you'll get when developed. You can adjust everything by dials, and bottons before you shoot.

Bob Loblaw 10-22-2003 06:53 PM

Thanks Bliss.

So you have the option of doing all the manual adjustments like a regular 35mm and still have the capabilities and practicality of a digital camera?

And you can change lenses too? I guess I've found my next camera.

johnoz 10-22-2003 07:39 PM

Actually the price is now dropped to $1320 cdn
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...1078&CatId=128

jello_g 10-22-2003 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bliss
SLR stands for "Manual Single-lens-Reflex" An SLR camera is one that you can adjust everything manually instead of electronically. What you see in the viewfinder is what you'll get when developed. You can adjust everything by dials, and bottons before you shoot.
Close, but not exact. You are correct in that SLR stands for Single-Lens-Reflex. There are three distinct features in a SLR camera:

(a) One lens is used for both viewing and taking the picture.
(b) The above is facilitated by the fact that the image is reflected by a mirror into a viewfinder when you are viewing the image when composing.
(c) The mirror moves out of the way when the actual picture is taken, allowing the image to reach the backplane where the film resides.

SLR design has nothing to do with the camera being either manual or automatic (I think that's what you meant when you said electronically). The impetus for the SLR design was the benefit of seeing the image exactly as it will be taken, thus eliminating parallax error inherent in rangefinders that were so popular when SLR was first introduced.

Bob Loblaw 10-22-2003 11:00 PM

So with a digital camera, where you take the picture according to the image you see on the screen, there is no parallax error (I'm assuming). So is SLR worth it then?

jello_g 10-22-2003 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bob Loblaw
So with a digital camera, where you take the picture according to the image you see on the screen, there is no parallax error (I'm assuming). So is SLR worth it then?
Not all digital cameras are based on the same design - there are some that correct parallax error by using a SLR or other parallax-compensating design, and there are others that are based on a rangefinder design (thus introducing parallax). It's no surprise that many of the lower-priced compact digital cameras do not compensate for parallax. Be careful here, since there are some pretty expensive compact size digital cameras that may not incorporate parallax correction.

I'm not saying you can't take a great picture with a cheaper camera or one that doesn't compensate for parallax. Parallax error is really only apparent when you take close-ups; the closer the subject, the greater the error. If you plan on taking a lot of close-ups or want to do some macro photography, then a SLR-based design is highly recommended. On the other hand, if you take mostly pictures where your subject is beyond close-up range (eg. landscapes), then non-SLR cameras can perform just as well as SLR's. As an aside, there is a select clientele that still reveres old rangefinder technology, and high-end makers such as Leica and Hasselblad manufacture some pretty expensive shit to satisfy their esoteric needs.

Bottom line is, if you had a choice between SLR and non-SLR, all other things being equal, go with SLR.

Bob Loblaw 10-23-2003 12:08 AM

Okay, I was assuming that there was no parallax error in digital cameras because I thought the image you saw on the screen, even in macro pictures, was the same as the one that was taken (as opposed to using a viewfinder-or whatever you call it- with a regular camera, where there is a difference in angle between what you see and what's recorded).

I stand corrected. But I still don't understand why the images (seen and recorded) wouldn't be the same in a digital camera. There shouldn't be a difference in angle.

I'll have to test this out next time I get my hands on my mother's Nikon CoolPix 4500.

Gamite 10-23-2003 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bliss
you've been reading way too many articles.

Bliss 10-23-2003 03:06 AM

Thanks for clarifying jello_g :) I guess i was lacking some detail ;)

BiBimBap 10-23-2003 01:56 PM

Whoa! He used "impetus!" I had to look that one up!

Johnoz - need a cheap ultrastable zoom lens? Just wait until after xmas when the 1st semester of classes that require photography equipment are all done. Then visit the local camera stores (Henry's, Vistek etc) for wicked used lenses.

Canon has zoom lenses with IS (Image Stabilizing) that actually steadies the image from handshake. Awesome feature.

johnoz 10-23-2003 07:59 PM

Excellent. That's the kind of tip I was waiting for.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally posted by BiBimBap
Whoa! He used "impetus!" I had to look that one up!

Johnoz - need a cheap ultrastable zoom lens? Just wait until after xmas when the 1st semester of classes that require photography equipment are all done. Then visit the local camera stores (Henry's, Vistek etc) for wicked used lenses.

Canon has zoom lenses with IS (Image Stabilizing) that actually steadies the image from handshake. Awesome feature.