maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio/Sound (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Problems with rims? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17529)

330DTM 06-21-2003 02:03 PM

Problems with rims?

I just want to see what your experiences are like with aftermarket rims and if you have any problems with it. Also how do you find the ride quality compared to stock with the new rims and did you ever run into problems of bent rims due to road hazards?

Ever since I installed the Mille Miglia MM11-2's on my Volvo wagon, the ride seems pretty harsh. Specs 205/45/17. The car is pretty heavy but I doubt heavier than an E34 5'er. I don't know if it's my suspension that's messed up but the ride is way too harsh. Any ideas? Even with the correct tire inflation it's still stiff on the bumps and I have stock suspension.

Any ideas?

330DTM 06-21-2003 02:06 PM

Oh yeah and does any one have experiences with Mille Miglia?

How are they in terms of quality and design? My dad thinks that the structure of the rim is weak and therefore it bent due to road hazard.

Mitch555 06-21-2003 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 328DTM
Oh yeah and does any one have experiences with Mille Miglia?

How are they in terms of quality and design? My dad thinks that the structure of the rim is weak and therefore it bent due to road hazard.

Mille Miglia is a soft rim, if you hit a pot hole hard enough your faked!!!

Gamite 06-21-2003 07:43 PM

Re: Problems with rims?

Quote:

Originally posted by 328DTM
The car is pretty heavy but I doubt heavier than an E34 5'er.

haha, what are you tryin to say eh? My car is only a tad over 4000 lbs now.. :P

330DTM 06-21-2003 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mitch555
Mille Miglia is a soft rim, if you hit a pot hole hard enough your faked!!!
Stupid Miglia rims. I thought they were pretty tough but now that you mentioned it I guess not. It's not me who's not careful, just that another driver driving the car tends to be careless sometimes.

moregothanshow 06-21-2003 10:33 PM

i think the harsher ride is due to the lower ratio of the tire. 45 is relatively low verses most stock tires.... when u hit bumbs a lot of the shock is absorbed by your rubbers. seeing you have a 45 rubber the side walls are harder and tend to flex less, as a result of this your feeling more of the bumps your tires used to absorb.

330DTM 06-22-2003 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by moregothanshow
i think the harsher ride is due to the lower ratio of the tire. 45 is relatively low verses most stock tires.... when u hit bumbs a lot of the shock is absorbed by your rubbers. seeing you have a 45 rubber the side walls are harder and tend to flex less, as a result of this your feeling more of the bumps your tires used to absorb.
that is true, but it doesn't make sense when I compare my ride quality to Gamite's or my A4 buddies. They have bling bling 18's and even lower profile. Yet when they go over bumps mine still seems to be harsh LOL

Gamite 06-22-2003 06:09 AM

the T-5 is supposed to have some sort of sport suspension no?

Mike, why duncha try a Volvo forum, they probably will have more insight on this.

Albertae30 06-23-2003 05:26 AM

www.turbobricks.org i believe is the forum