maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   5 series (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Pretty sure my car will be written off:( (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162079)

mech9T8 03-02-2014 10:30 AM

Pretty sure my car will be written off:(

So last Thursday I was driving home and all of a sudden blowing snow created a complete white out condition. Couldn't see 1 foot in front of me. Slowed down but then a car just appeared through the snow. Not enough time to react so collision was unavoidable. From what I understand the girl was trying to get into her driveway and got stuck. So she was basically 90 degrees to the street and completely blocking the lane. Luckily no one was hurt.
My car was literally a needle in a haystack. 2001 530i with M package, absolute mint condition and only 108000 kms. I also just did a bunch of maintenance on it (cooling system overhaul, ccv, new pads and rotors, new battery, cps, spark plugs, fuel filter, ignition switch, etc). I am so bummed.
I'd love to find another e39 but they are getting more scarce...especially in the condition mine was in. Any sources that I can check aside from autotrader and kijiji? Anyone buy their car from the states? Any good sources to recommend?

Blackedout95 03-02-2014 10:39 AM

I can tell you that we would get in excess of $10k-$11k+++ here for a mint e39 with only 108000k all day long. How much more would depend on any maint. needed.

Sorry to hear the story, fight hard for a fair payout!

Eurostyle 03-02-2014 11:00 AM

How hard is the hit!? Anything is fixable, and can be done right. If you love the car, try to get it fixed! E39 parts are not hard to find these days...

mech9T8 03-02-2014 11:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics. The rear got hot as well.

mech9T8 03-02-2014 11:46 AM

Driver side airbag went off too

dbworld4k 03-02-2014 12:04 PM

Ouchhhhh. That's really unfortunate man. If they do write it off, fight tooth and nail. Make it a point that to replace that car with an identical once isn't the same as another 01 530i on auto trader. Receipts for your recent work may help, too. They will throw many low balls at you. You just need to prove the opposite.

Eurostyle 03-02-2014 01:39 PM

Yes, to insurance this will be written off, easy $15K repair...But should be doable for about half if you know what to do!

mech9T8 03-03-2014 12:21 PM

Saw a nice 540i in the states....hmmmm.

windwagen 03-03-2014 11:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
OP - we need to get together and have a drink...cry on each other's shoulder...

Saturday night, I was driving home in the snow. A Camry was in the left turn lane signalling left. The driver changed her mind as I was passing and turned into my path. She blocked all lanes with her Camry perpendicular to the road and was trying to drive into the driveway of a gas station. I was honking the horn and flashing my lights. I aimed for the gap in front of her car and the curb hoping the driver would see me and stop in time. When I realized it wasn't going to stop, I tried to clear the back of the Camry, but it was too slippery and I didn't make it.

The Camry spun 180 degrees. Fortunately I wasn't going very fast and nobody was injured. The driver's husband was in the gas station and walked over. The driver told the cops that she was talking with her husband.... you mean on the phone since he wasn't in the car?

I think she was trying hard not to incriminate herself and the cops were getting annoyed. They charged her with something and was giving her a hard time about some child seat that was missing CSA stickers? I hope her insurance is so expensive that they can't afford to drive. That would help keep incompetence off the road.

Anyway, the Touring is not looking very happy and I'm also concerned the insurance might want to write it off. Fortunately the damage is not as bad as yours...wish me luck!

mech9T8 03-04-2014 12:12 PM

I think when a BMW gets hurt we all hurt.
Yours doesn't look too bad. Don't think it will be a write off.

windwagen 03-04-2014 07:12 PM

Fawk.... They wrote it off, but I could buy it back.

Anyone interested? Anyone have a Msport front end they want to sell me? Eurostyle?

It's totally drive able and still drives awesome. No structural damage. Damage to hood, fender, headlight and of course the bumper cover. I'm going to the garage to see if they popped the hood open.

mech9T8 03-04-2014 08:36 PM

Wow. I'm surprised they wrote it off.

mech9T8 03-04-2014 08:37 PM

How much did they offer you?

windwagen 03-04-2014 09:02 PM

Just under $5,000.00 which is actually pretty fair. I just have a hard time letting it go because I know it has a lot of mileage left in it.

shanehutton 03-05-2014 08:52 AM

How much are they willing to sell it back to you for?
Send me a PM.