maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   88' e28 m30 ms3/ms3x (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161614)

captain E34 01-20-2014 03:01 PM

88' e28 m30 ms3/ms3x

3 Attachment(s)
hey guys I need some help wiring in my ms3/ms3x (pre-assembled) into my stock motronic harness. I wrote up the pinouts on some paper for the ms3 ms3x and the motronic harness. This will be my first time ever cutting into a harness like this and im worried about messing something up. not sure if anyone here has used the ms3 on the e28, I know its been more common to do ms2 so this shout for help might be a shot in the dark but any help will be useful!

heres my write ups.

Attachment 120025

Attachment 120026

Attachment 120027

i will be askin a few questions along the way, but for now im looking to se if anyone has experience with this and is willing to give me a hand.

BigD 01-20-2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain E34 (Post 1637016)
I wrote up the pinouts on some paper

What do you have against spreadsheets?

captain E34 01-20-2014 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD (Post 1637020)
What do you have against spreadsheets?

When you say against, do you mean to support the pinout? or other then the pin out?

I have the ms3 and both the ms3 and ms3x harnesses, the gm iac sensor, aswell as the stimjim for the ms3. i bought both tunerstudio and megalogger

buzzdmonkey 01-20-2014 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain E34 (Post 1637021)
When you say against, do you mean to support the pinout? or other then the pin out?

I have the ms3 and both the ms3 and ms3x harnesses, the gm iac sensor, aswell as the stimjim for the ms3. i bought both tunerstudio and megalogger

im pretty sure he means using something like microsoft excel to write everything down and match things up to keep everything organized

BigD 01-21-2014 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzdmonkey (Post 1637032)
im pretty sure he means using something like microsoft excel to write everything down and match things up to keep everything organized

And make it reasonable for other people to help/contribute if you need it.

captain E34 01-21-2014 10:30 AM

My writing isnt very good, i was just askin to see if anyone had experience with the ms3 and motronic one the e28. Ill get the info organized and repost the info

captain E34 01-21-2014 01:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are the pinouts side by side.

Attachment 120029

Attachment 120030

if anyone here has ever wired up ms3 to the stock harness would you tell me the thing you had to change?

I know I have to change my tps to a newer m30b35 or m50 tps as they use a signal throughout from closed to open instead of just wot or closed

as for the injector stuff, do I just wire the ms3 2x injector control 123 to the injector control, single wire, 123 on the stock harness? and the same for the injector control 456?

NOTORIOUS VR 01-22-2014 04:16 PM

No offence, but you should really read and then re-read everything about MS there is to know. Hell start with the MS1 manuals and work your way up to the MS3 stuff.

Once you understand the pinouts and functions of the MS3, you will understand what has to go where.

captain E34 01-22-2014 04:31 PM

Fair enough, i of course gotta read into ms alot more, initially i was just wondering if anyone here has used ms3 on an e28, just for my own curriosity lol, ill be working on my car all winter so i have plenty of time to read

NOTORIOUS VR 01-23-2014 09:42 AM

I'm sure someone, somewhere has done it. But it shouldn't matter because if you're going to shortcut learning about why or how something works you might as well just get someone else to do it for you.

Copying someone elses work normally just leads to issues down the road.

Learn the MS, and do it all step by step. If it all works that means you've understood it all and you'll also know where to look if you start to have issues.

One thing I can tell you is, make sure you make good/proper connections and mind your grounds and sensor grounds.

captain E34 01-23-2014 10:05 AM

I appreciate the help, and im not trying to copy anyone, i learn best by doing and not reading, obv theres alot to learn from reading through the info about ms, but its hard for me to gather info this way. A problem ive had through highschool. Just tryin to find out info through others experiences

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

NOTORIOUS VR 01-23-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain E34 (Post 1637247)
I appreciate the help, and im not trying to copy anyone, i learn best by doing and not reading, obv theres alot to learn from reading through the info about ms, but its hard for me to gather info this way. A problem ive had through highschool. Just tryin to find out info through others experiences

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Learning by doing works for many things, but only if someone is explaining to you what is what and why you're doing them.

If you're just doing something because someone else did it, you're just copying it and you will not understand why it is done the way it is nor will you know if what you're doing or the person you're "learning" from did it correctly.

captain E34 01-23-2014 01:44 PM

And thats what im looking for, someone who is willing to teach me through their experience, obv not many ppl wanna waste their time doing that over a forum, but i definitly plan on documenting this install as best i can to helpothers in the future

NOTORIOUS VR 01-23-2014 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain E34 (Post 1637265)
And thats what im looking for, someone who is willing to teach me through their experience, obv not many ppl wanna waste their time doing that over a forum, but i definitly plan on documenting this install as best i can to helpothers in the future

You don't need to document it for anyone but yourself.

What you're doing is no different then putting an MS into an E30 say... the basics are all the same to a tee. There's nothing about putting it into an E34 that makes it harder or "special" so to say.

It's a nice feeling to do something like this, just don't rush anything and you'll be just fine. If you need to ask the right questions if you're stuck and there will be many that will be able to help you out as you go along.

captain E34 01-23-2014 03:17 PM

Im putting it in my e28, and i read over a document on mye28.com about installin ms2 and how certain sensors need to be replaced like the crank sensor. But with the ms3, it has many different settings for hall, vr, eft sensors and i dont know what the stock e28 sensor is. I do have an m60 with a crank sensor which i believe is vr. If the stock m30 isnt proper