maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   5 series (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   '97 528i intermittent overheating / no cabin heat (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161492)

97e39blue528 01-10-2014 10:58 AM

'97 528i intermittent overheating / no cabin heat

Greetings! In advance thanks for any wisdom on this: My '97 528i intermittently overheats: peg goes from dead center to the start of red zone, then on its own goes back to dead center -except when it goes all the way into red (and I shut engine off!) I don't know if related, but at about the same time I lost cabin heat (a problem when you live in Northern Vermont), which comes back unpredictably. Last year I replaced water pump (with metal impeller) and radiator. Coolant is there and at right level (no leaks). I've read some threads on this but there's some conflicting info. Again thanks for any help!

Blackedout95 01-10-2014 11:13 AM

These cars tend to be a pain sometimes, along with the obvious you should also check your flow, when the car is running at temp is your top hose cold or hot? Also verify you have return flow by removing your cap, strart er up and watch for flow from that small hole which is fed via a long rubber hose hidden under the top fan shroud.

Sometimes the hose can crack, cut, crimp, fall off a bit (you sould see some collant leaking or even the coolant tank itself has a small part that breaks inside and causes the hole to plug and forces the coolant straight down into the tank.

windwagen 01-10-2014 11:50 PM

Try purging the air out of the cooling system. Could it be frozen?

Eurostyle 01-11-2014 12:08 AM

Look at the thermostat, very common problem. Overheating can be caused by fan clutch. No heat can be the valves on the aux water pump, or flaps on air box.

cmyachtie 01-16-2014 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97e39blue528 (Post 1636079)
Greetings! In advance thanks for any wisdom on this: My '97 528i intermittently overheats: peg goes from dead center to the start of red zone, then on its own goes back to dead center -except when it goes all the way into red (and I shut engine off!) I don't know if related, but at about the same time I lost cabin heat (a problem when you live in Northern Vermont), which comes back unpredictably. Last year I replaced water pump (with metal impeller) and radiator. Coolant is there and at right level (no leaks). I've read some threads on this but there's some conflicting info. Again thanks for any help!

Most likely it is air in the cooling system, the E39 6cyl's are notorious for getting the air out and special tricks/processes needs to be followed.

If you or the mechanic that did the work did not know this then you have air in your system guaranteed, I did the cooling system overhaul myself years ago and thought I knew what to do but drove for several years having your same symptoms untill finally I red bled the system and managed to add almost two liters in the system and never had any leaks....search on line for the correct procedure or ask me ......good luck