maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are e46 M3s too expensive for what they are? Discussion time. (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160588)

sellme_anM3 11-04-2013 06:21 AM

Are e46 M3s too expensive for what they are? Discussion time.

Hello all, first time poster (be nice) and long time e46M searcher. I tried searching the forums for a similar topic to get some help with this. If there is a thread on this already, please direct me there, I'd appreciate it :).

I love the e46 M3. But I can't help but get the feeling that they're overpriced for what they are, especially compared to cars of the similar era. For example, though not a driver's car, an SL500 sells for cheaper in Ontario than a similar year / kms M3 would. Let's face it, the SL comes with a mountain of tech and is a hardtop convertible, better justifying the 20-35k price tag.

Perhaps one of you ladies or gents could explain to me why the e46 is so astronomically priced for a car reaching approximately a decade old and has 120000+ kms. From my search, I've regularly noticed people asking over $20000 for cars with over 120000kms. With taxes etc, paying 1/4 of a hundred grand for a 10 year old car with that many kms seems crazy right?

Before you say that I need to drive one to understand... I have driven many before, but can't appreciate them enough (especially the SMG versions) to justify paying what people ask because they're becoming very dated with the new M due out early 2014.

At current seller's evaluations of their vehicles (and don't get touchy M3 owners), would you be better off buying something newer like a 328i/335i or even an Infiniti G37s 6MT for the same money?

What do you think and why? Are e46 M3s selling at an inflated value? Is there such a cult following for these cars that prices are kept high? Or am I way off the map here?

Personally, I'm probably going to buy an e90 or e92 M3 with low kms unless you can convince me otherwise ;)

shanehutton 11-04-2013 08:46 AM

E30 and E46 M3s have established a following so they command more than usual used car depreciation would have them. The only M car that has not seen this happen is the E36 and that is likely to it's status as "not quite a real M car". Same holds true of just about every 911 except the 996.

Yes, you can get more car for the money. The question is though, when you go to sell either car don the road, will you will probably get more for the M car than the other one.

BigD 11-04-2013 09:04 AM

Welcome to the free market. No amount of complaining will change it. Sellers charge what the market will bare. If it wasn't worth 20 grand to many other people, the prices would fall. But they're not, so what does that tell you? The same way that the Mercs and Jags plummet in value - the market doesn't want old Mercs and Jags. Not fanboi kids who say OMG DUDE YOU SHOULD CHARGE MORE. But real buyers who look into what's involved in owning that car, set the price, not opinions on the sidelines.

Bottom line is, if you don't want to pay the market value, then it's not the car for you. You can try to find a more neglected, collision repaired car and save money but again, the market will dictate what it's worth. I mean, what is your plan - to get a bunch of posts agreeing with you, and take it to a seller and say, SEE, all these people on maxbimmer.com say that your car is overpriced, now sell it to me for half that!

ac_2007 11-04-2013 09:15 AM

Depends where you buy from, and what your search criteria is.

SMG makes them cheap.
Being convertible makes them cheap.

Find a hardtop with a 6MT, and the price shoots up. Simple supply and demand, nobody really cares that the SMG/convertible cost considerably more when it was new. The same way a 2001 Jaguar that cost over 80k will now sell for under 5k.

What do I think? Buy yourself an E92 335i for the same price.

PS - The G37's engine is rough at high-rpms, and gearbox/clutch is unecessarily difficult to operate.

sellme_anM3 11-04-2013 09:16 AM

That wasn't my plan at all... what? Seriously? You're kidding right?

Let me clarify...I personally have a hard time justifying the price. I'm simply asking why it's priced the way it is compared to other cars on the market. Through your answers, perhaps I'd be able to convince myself to spend the coin, or buy something newer. Take another sip of coffee there mate

Then again, if you want to sell me your cars for 10k a pop, I'll buy 5 of them *wiggle*

opes 11-04-2013 10:09 AM

Find another car under $20-30k with such a great chassis, competent handling and smooth engine. Plus it is still one of the best looking coupe's on the road and has enough stock HP to keep most driver's entertained when needed.

Lovely car. One of the best cars BMW have made, in my opinion. If I didn't need 4 doors, I would have replaced mine in a heartbeat. And I would have had no issue with paying 25-35k for a super low milage example that is well maintained (6spd, coupe obv).

SiR 11-04-2013 10:14 AM

some of them are definitely over priced. no question.

But you can find this for almost every model in bmw's line up. And you will generally see these cars on trader/kijiji for months on end. The right example is generally justified at the higher price. many of them are not though.

If you look around reasonable pricing does exist...as do some great deals though those generally need more work than others.
Also disagree on the e36m comments too. A properly sorted car/clean car still fetches some coin. Any M car will imo.

Dont want to pay up for that clean example. then go buy the newer car. Newer!=better. In fact many agree newer cars just dont "feel" as good as the older ones.

T.Dot_E30 11-04-2013 10:35 AM

It's an M car and a pretty good one at that. Ms will hold their value compared to other models in the lineup.

Your opinion won't change what the markets dictates. A lot of ppl think an e30 m3 with just 198hp isn't worth 30k, but look at the prices.

Also the cars you are comparing them too are much less desirable because of their problems and how bad they age. Of course they are going to sell for less.

Find me another 2dr, coupe, manual, rwd, class, luxury with comparable performance. There isn't much....that is why they are what they are....

I'm sure you can find a higher mileage one for closer to 15k if you keep looking, but the lower mileage, clean well maintained one will sell for more.

If you are looking for value, look at some 335i. But they have their problems, and being a non-m they will continue to depreciate at a faster rate. E92 Ms, are more than double the cost of an e46 m, esp a lower mileage one. If you can afford it, go for it. I did after a 2yr search for an e46 and I haven't looked back.

BigD 11-04-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sellme_anM3 (Post 1629955)
I personally have a hard time justifying the price.

An adult approach to the problem ends right there.

NOTORIOUS VR 11-04-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD (Post 1629952)
Welcome to the free market. No amount of complaining will change it. Sellers charge what the market will bare. If it wasn't worth 20 grand to many other people, the prices would fall. But they're not, so what does that tell you? The same way that the Mercs and Jags plummet in value - the market doesn't want old Mercs and Jags. Not fanboi kids who say OMG DUDE YOU SHOULD CHARGE MORE. But real buyers who look into what's involved in owning that car, set the price, not opinions on the sidelines.

Bottom line is, if you don't want to pay the market value, then it's not the car for you. You can try to find a more neglected, collision repaired car and save money but again, the market will dictate what it's worth. I mean, what is your plan - to get a bunch of posts agreeing with you, and take it to a seller and say, SEE, all these people on maxbimmer.com say that your car is overpriced, now sell it to me for half that!

Yep... exactly my thoughts every time someone on Max makes a thread like this one. Pretty simple concept too. :D

newbe46 11-04-2013 12:37 PM

Also, the M vehicle depreciation in performance, driveability, and desirability is not as steep as other non-M or other performance coupe/sedan. Hence the stronger than usual re-sale value.

Take any vehicle sold 10 years ago that was priced equivalent or cheaper than the M and compare it with say a E46 M3 with around 100,000 on the clock. Mine is approaching that mark and I have to there is isn't much big ticket maintenance. Performance wise I can out accelerate quite a few cars even the newer performance vehicle.

Yes, the car does not feel like a new car. It rattles a bit and the ride isn't as comfy as a Lexus and if I'm being honest, I don't enjoy driving the car 100% of the time. For the amount of money I paid for it, I could have bought a more than decent all year round car. But I think this over priced used M3 worth every single penny.

propr'one 11-04-2013 01:46 PM

i just bought a pretty clean e46 m3 for way less than 20K

windwagen 11-04-2013 01:49 PM

Get the newer m3! But if you decide on the G37, how will you feel driving next to a m3?

The e46 was built during an era before BMW started going tech. Some ppl argue that these cars are the last true BMWs. I drive an M5 from the same era...and I love it. Don't get me wrong..the new M5 is awesome, but the newer cars do have a few too many gizmos.

SiR 11-04-2013 02:49 PM

comfy as a lexus?

its a performance coupe...why would it be as comfy as a lexus? not even an e9x m3 is as comfy as a lexus because thats not what its supposed to do. You cant have both worlds even with fancy dampers that can be adjusted on the fly. A performance car will always be "less comfy" compared to a numb couch on wheels.

windwagen 11-04-2013 03:56 PM

^ There is a lot of truth to this statement, but I have to disagree somewhat...

BMWs have a magical balance between comfort and performance. The models with the most lowly trim can suprise a driver with decent performance and the most potent M cars are completely civil when driven that way....

Drop the kids at school - spend a day at the track - and pick up grandma on the way home (without offending her)....