maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1983 - 1991) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Rumble/Drone from driveshaft/diff (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160451)

Sea Aych 10-27-2013 07:00 PM

Rumble/Drone from driveshaft/diff

I just swapped out my automatic for a standard 5spd, and all is working perfectly, except from roughly 50-70kph (speedo is insanely optimistic so i'm guessing here... it's basically from 3rd at 2500ish and up rpm to a low 4th gear) there is a loud low pitch drone/rumble coming from the middle/rear of the car. It doesn't shake the car much at all, just noisy.
Now the diff is exactly the same as before, so i'm not sure if it could be that.
Any ideas?

TSI 10-27-2013 10:40 PM

Did you get a new CSB and guibo, or used items?

Sea Aych 10-28-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSI (Post 1629205)
Did you get a new CSB and guibo, or used items?

Brand new CSB, guibo was in perfect shape

Yamahammer 10-28-2013 07:51 PM

Common e30 drive shaft vibration. I assume you had to separate the front and rear as the swap requires a new front section, so did you align the u-joints correctly?. From factory they were supposedly balanced separately so others will disagree with me saying they have to be aligned. If you look in the Bentley there is a diagram on how to align the u-joint knuckles when you separate the two sides. Also, did you preload the CSB when you installed the driveshaft?

While you have the drive shaft apart again manually oscillate the u-joints and feel for notchy-ness. A sticky u-joint can cause quite the rucknus! In your case the sticking may be very slight.

The drive shaft could just be bitched as it's probably 25 years old...

Sea Aych 10-28-2013 09:13 PM

^^ might be the u-joints. Doesn't make much vibration at all, just a droning noise. i'll check for play tomorrow!

TSI 10-28-2013 11:33 PM

Nah carl, that noise means that the whole car's worthless scrap now. You borked it. I'll give you $20 for it. Better get rid of it soon before it explodes.

Ceeker 10-29-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Aych (Post 1629296)
^^ might be the u-joints. Doesn't make much vibration at all, just a droning noise. i'll check for play tomorrow!

if you separated the two halves as mentioned you throw the balance of the shaft off. that is why they need to be marked before taking apart. Balancing will run about 200.00 usually includes fresh joints and center bearing.

squirt some rust penetrating oil into the joint to loosen up the needle bearings. something you should keep on to make sure they don't seize up. start there and see what happens.

Sea Aych 10-30-2013 05:45 PM

Weird. Just ran a couple trials and found it doesn't happen under hard accelleration..Only regular driving. Thoroughly confused now