maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1983 - 1991) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   absolute noob looking for some help!! (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160159)

noobeee 10-08-2013 01:46 AM

absolute noob looking for some help!!

1 Attachment(s)
looking for a bit of help. I bought a 1991 318is about a week ago, my plan was to buy a car and use it as a daily . i found a car that i liked went to check it out test drove it etc the car was being sold as is so i was a little weary of buying it but went ahead. after getting a safety report of what i need done it turns out the car is going to need a bit of work (which i expected) my plan is to fix it up over winter and use it as a daily next year but my problem is i know nothing, raeding my safety report is like reading a foreign language so i thought id ask here for some insight on what to do and where to start? This is my first car so i am very new to this stuff, i have no idea where to go to get parts/install or what is easy enough where i can do it myself.Any information is appreciated thanks for your time!

noobeee 10-08-2013 02:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
a picture of the car

richie_s999 10-08-2013 07:49 AM

Why not ask the shop that did the inspection for more details, I'm wondering how they found cracked spark plugs, you'd have to pull the cover and wires and plugs out to find this.

The Twin 10-08-2013 08:17 AM

why is "spark plugs and wires" showing up on a MTO safety??

smells like a shady shop....

noobeee 10-08-2013 09:37 AM

honestly i had to tow the car home myself so this was the only shop close to my house, it was a subaru dealership which was my first mistake!

alaadeen 10-08-2013 10:22 AM

Take it to RMP Motors in Etobicoke or a shop that works exclusively on Zee Germanz (i mean german cars ;))

noobeee 10-08-2013 12:07 PM

i think my best bet would be to do that!

The Twin 10-08-2013 02:12 PM

absolutely...

you learn by making mistakes, and unfortunately going to a dealership (non-bmw at that) with a 20+ year old car is a mistake.

I'm sure that car is not as bad as they made it out to be.

check out the local sponsors for some BMW specific shops, RMP as mentionned...

good luck and nice looking e30!

sok 10-08-2013 04:19 PM

Looks like a good base to start with, e30's are pretty easy to work on but being as old as they are you can blink & your wallet is empty lol. If you can do basic work like spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, belts it will help.

frankie591 10-08-2013 05:57 PM

slicktop? Shadowline? Looks pretty sweet to me!

cirrusblau 10-08-2013 06:40 PM

With an old car, your best bet is to stay away from dealerships completely as they don't know the old cars at all. If taking the car somewhere with techs that don't know the cars, it would at least be wise to take it somewhere cheaper.

As The_Twin mentioned, the best bet are BMW specific shops that still see cars this age on a day-to-day basis if you're not going to do the work yourself. The E30 is much, much easier to work on than newer cars like the E46 because everything is accessible without loads of covers and electronics are simple (+12V, ground, and whatever item) as opposed to the modern, digital signalling.

BTW, safety should be limited to things that affect stopping and controlling the car. None of the engine systems should affect it. They don't care if the car goes, only if it can stop and turn (and a few other things like headlights, wipers, horn, etc.)

noobeee 10-08-2013 08:36 PM

thanks for the feed back guys, I really appreciate it! I've contacted rmp so hopefully will have a quote for parts and labour soon, any other places that are worth checking out? most of the electrical stuff works(wipers ,headlights ,horn ,tail lights etc) only thing that i can think of that doesn't work is the radio haha. I am very in doing some of the repairs myself, i don't have much experience if any but i need to start some where. what would be the easiest things to start with, is there a good website where i could source out the parts or do i need to go into a shop to buy them?

noobeee 10-08-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankie591 (Post 1627019)
slicktop? Shadowline? Looks pretty sweet to me!

i dont know what that means but thanks i think..

frankie591 10-08-2013 08:39 PM

Shadowline is the blacked out window trim, by slicktop I was asking if it is a non-sunroof model? A good parts place to start is blunttech.com

noobeee 10-08-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankie591 (Post 1627039)
Shadowline is the blacked out window trim, by slicktop I was asking if it is a non-sunroof model? A good parts place to start is blunttech.com

ohh hahah my bad, it does have a sunroof! ill be sure to check it out, thanks man!