maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1998 - 2005) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   possible e46 purchase (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159957)

biztrick 09-24-2013 05:27 PM

possible e46 purchase

hey everyone,

I am new to the forum.

one of my friend is selling her BMW M3 04 (BLK)

this is a Canadian car

156,000 km reported on it, no accidents, maintained for all scheduled intervals. (am I purchasing it at a bad time? looking at a lot of repairs down the road?)

asking price is 11k - comes with winter tires.

what do you guys think? this is my first bemmer usually drove audi - but want a change and BMW is the way to go.

how is the RWD with winter tires in snow? - am I going to die?

thanks looking for feedback

cmoorhouse 09-24-2013 09:49 PM

Welcome,

Sounds like a pretty awesome deal as long as everything is in order and still good mileage for these cars. But as you know with audi, parts aren't cheap..but everyone on here can help you out/provide advice on where to go.

I'm sure youll manage in the snow, mines lowered and have been driving it year round for many years...although not ideal. I always go in a parking lot once the snow gets bad and throw the car around a bit to get a feel for it.

any pictures of the car?

biztrick 09-25-2013 01:27 AM

thanks for responding back cmoorehouse.

yeah and its from a trusty worth person whom I work with.

Do you think I should get it inspected by BMW to see if there is any serious issues before I purchase it?

nice, I am thinking of lowering mine for sure, dropped my audi and loved the stance and stagger looks on it. No not yet, I still have to get pictures, I'm going to see it this week hopefully. I will definitively snap some pictures and post them.

Lercs 09-25-2013 08:16 AM

The only thing I would worry about is rust, if it was winter driven, there is a good chance it is filled with rust, which would turn me off.

4doors 10-18-2013 06:32 PM

Doesn't BMW have a 12 year warranty on rust?

kidneykill 03-21-2014 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biztrick (Post 1625580)

I've been driving my ci for 10 winters now and never been stuck... winter tires + two bags of water salt or melting salt in the trunk to add weight over the rear axle but most importantly understand the limits of your car... I also drive around in empty snow covered parking lots and very early morning snow covered highway ramps to test braking, accelerating ESP during cornering...

Sirjetblack 03-22-2014 01:04 PM

I've been driving my m3 with winter tires for 4 years and they handle great in the winter.
For only 11000 , thats a great deal!!!

Distinct 03-22-2014 01:10 PM

Inspect it. Buy it. Fix it. Drive it. Unless there are unknown problems like sub frame cracking or the SMG dying tomorrow (you don't specify which transmission), $11000 is a fair price if the car is in good condition. Leaves you money to do maintenance and repairs.

I drive on old winter tires and it's fine. Just don't drive like a crazy man or forget you aren't in your Audi. I came from a Stage 3 B5 S4 and these two cars are very different. The M3 is better!

4doors 03-22-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biztrick (Post 1625580)

thanks looking for feedback

A Solution to that problem is:
Michelin X-ice 3. Find the SMALLEST wheel that will fit the M3 (I think it might be a 17-inch due to the calipers but if 16 fit, use that), the narrowest tires, and chunkiest profile (scraping a wheel in the winter seems more likely), mount on a setup of dent free aluminum rims off Kiji.

Combine with common sense driving in the winter and you'll be fine. The X-ice isn't a deep snow tire but when icy or slushy it's been the best tire I've ever used and I've never been stuck using the X-ice. And with prices now lower than ever in Canada, you can probably get a set at a decent price with a trip south.

propr'one 03-22-2014 05:34 PM

M3's are fantastic in the snow with good tires. run square 225's all around (rim size/profile not important).

11 K for a 04 is a good deal if the car's in good shape. get it PPI'ed by an indy shop.

dbworld4k 03-22-2014 06:02 PM

Thread is from September, lol.

quadturbo 03-22-2014 11:03 PM

How on earth did he find a good condition M3 for 11k... Cheapest M3 I could find (wasn't good) was up for 18,000...

I need to look harder in the right places probably, Kijiji isn't doing it!

Breathless 03-22-2014 11:17 PM

^^ not too long ago (last month?) there was a 02 m3 with gunmetal/red interior with 200k postedfor $12k on autotrader.

I was thinking about checking it out but chickened out

quadturbo 03-22-2014 11:31 PM

Autotrader... Haven't checked that yet but will do