maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rust proofing, Undercoat. Who's the best? Where to go? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159877)

1bmw1 09-19-2013 02:52 PM

Rust proofing, Undercoat. Who's the best? Where to go?

Since winter is approaching, where do you guys suggest to get my car rust proofed? Does RMP still do this? Any suggestions appreciated.

P.S. I don't want holes being drilled.

propr'one 09-19-2013 03:03 PM

RMP does still do this, saw a tub of the stuff there last time i was around, give lauren a call.

AFAIK the e90 has plastic covers on holes to get stuff into doors and fenders, no one should be drilling holes

windwagen 09-21-2013 04:25 PM

If the holes are already there, just get a can of Rust Chek from Crappy Tire and go at it!

1bmw1 09-21-2013 06:31 PM

Thanks for the info. Any experiences with krown?

windwagen 09-21-2013 08:01 PM

I got Krown to drill the holes in wifey's Odyssey. Then I use the rust chek can the following years. I can't complain....

aviator 09-21-2013 10:37 PM

I would go with Krown, good product, and usually careful competent applicators but check their work before you let them at you baby. The Krown off Torbram? Bramalea? N. of Derry is a good one as is the one on the N. side of St. Clair E. between Danforth and Midland.

alaadeen 09-22-2013 04:19 PM

Probably, a trivial question, but what do you mean by drilling holes? Sorry I am new to this kind of rustproofing process.

aviator 09-22-2013 11:18 PM

When the rust proofing chemical/oil is first applied they drill holes in the door sill [to access the inside of the rocker panel], rear door frame [to access the area below the c and/or b pillars], the upper door frame [to access the b pillar], and the front door frame [to access the lower A pillar and door hinge mount area], and the rear frame of the door itself [to access the inside of the door] they use these small [typically 3/8" */-] holes to stick the applicator wand in and then plug them with plastic plugs that they pull out and replace each time you go back. Once installed they are typically fairly unnoticeable if they put them in the right place [a good shop will do this, a bad one not so much] for example the po of my truck had it done and they drilled the rocker holes too far out and you could see the edge of the plug under the closed door, when I had Krown on St. Clair E. do my old truck you had to look carefully to find the plugs they were so well hidden.
Hope this clears things up for you.

Jay22 09-30-2013 10:58 AM

Im looking to do this as well on the E90 before I store her away at the end of october. Anyone got theirs done with RMP ? How did it go and hows the pricing?

SiR 09-30-2013 11:24 AM

regs is good

Sea Aych 10-03-2013 09:24 AM

Bump. I'm also interested considering the ludicrous amount of salt the put on the roads around downtown

jcr 10-03-2013 07:51 PM

Not a fan of Krown (the one on Parliament). On my previous car, when they were driving on the ramps, they weren't center and slide my car off the side...

Fix Auto in Oshawa was pretty good

Sea Aych 10-03-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcr (Post 1626395)
Not a fan of Krown (the one on Parliament). On my previous car, when they were driving on the ramps, they weren't center and slide my car off the side...

Fix Auto in Oshawa was pretty good

Yeah me n'either. Last car i had (Mazda 3) they totally over did it and ruined the interior of my trunk, and it leaked all over the place for months...I mean i'm sure that may have been a one off thing...but still. Hence my looking for alternatives for this time around!

iverson03tj 10-04-2013 11:10 AM

I got to do this soon... so is the best rust proofing oil?

propr'one 10-04-2013 01:14 PM

^^yes but i think you should try to find someone who uses a thicker product. the krown stuff is so runny half of it ends up on your driveway after you get it done.