maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Texting and driving pledge (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159857)

aviator 09-18-2013 12:54 PM

Texting and driving pledge

Texting and driving is becoming a serious issue in society, we ourselves have been discussing it in various threads here. I think we all agree that texting has no place behind the wheel of a vehicle in motion. As driving enthusiasts who happen to drive what are arguably some of the finest machines ever made I think we need to become part of the solution. If we all make a pledge publicly [or at least to the membership here] to never text and drive and follow through on it it will be a first step to making the world a better place. It's up to each of us to be the change. Who'll join me? *th-up*

bmwm5lover 09-18-2013 12:59 PM

Seriously? Gayest thread ever.

aviator 09-18-2013 01:05 PM

I guess that would be one vote for option 3 :D . I'm just trying to leave this world a better place than I found it.
We've all contributed to the mess this place is in now, it's up to us to clean it up.

nonlocal 09-18-2013 01:06 PM

I only text and drive when I'm drunk.

SiR 09-18-2013 02:10 PM

more than likely a sample of people here will text and drive the least already compared to a sample of the regular population. ie: we are already doing our part.

Driving issues out on the road are not generally an issue with the enthusiast and message forum community since most of us are already on the high end of the curve in terms of awareness while driving etc.

This would be better suited aimed at people on twitter, fb, news site where it could reach most other "sheeple" who are out to lunch while on the road.

propr'one 09-18-2013 05:20 PM

I dont do it often, but i'm sure i do it sometimes.

I think we should make mandatory penalties for people who cause accidents as a result of drinking, texting, whatever.

If you get into an accident because you were texting, and you face a mandatory 3 year license suspension, i'm pretty sure you wont do it again.

SubDad 09-18-2013 08:56 PM

Maybe I'm just a grumpy old fart, but it bothers the heck out of me when the drivers behind and beside me are staring at their crotches and smiling (now *that's* gay) instead of stopping for pedestrians or driving off when the light turns green or moving over for the ambulance.

I think the recent spate of zombie movies is inspired by annoying hordes of text-walkers.

davericher20 09-19-2013 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonlocal (Post 1624888)
I only text and drive when I'm drunk.

Should have been the 4th poll option,

I vote for an option that says I text and drive when I need to instagram my salad. That I eat behind the wheel.

canukgtp 09-19-2013 09:58 AM

I've always found the texting and driving thing kinda dangerous...but I have to admit that I have to stop myself from looking down at my phone when stopped at a light...especially if the little red light is blinking

BMXWill 09-19-2013 10:16 AM

I'd like to know if texting related accidents are up since the law was passed. Everyone now just holds their phone low and looks down to "not be seen texting" (not fooling anyone) rather than up high in plain site where they can still see ahead.

I certainly don't feel the roads are any safer since they instated this law. It didn't correct the problem of no one in the GTA knowing how to drive or what lane to drive in.

aviator 09-19-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMXWill (Post 1624978)
I'd like to know if texting related accidents are up since the law was passed. Everyone now just holds their phone low and looks down to "not be seen texting" (not fooling anyone) rather than up high in plain site where they can still see ahead.

I certainly don't feel the roads are any safer since they instated this law. It didn't correct the problem of no one in the GTA knowing how to drive or what lane to drive in.

That would be an interesting fact to know... I'm sure they are tracking stats on it now, if they were doing it pre-distracted driving law as a separate stat from plain cell use idk...

If the roads are any safer or not idk that either but as an anecdotal observation, as someone who drives for a living I've noticed less people driving with a phone held to their ear with one hand... those that are still doing it actually stand out now.

As for the poor driving skills/habits of the average GTA driver I'm not sure what can be done about that other than better training for the rookies and perhaps a concerted province wide psa campaign to teach/remind drivers of the proper way to drive. With more and more drivers getting on the road every year we all need to make the effort to make better use of the limited road space we have.

aviator 09-20-2013 08:43 AM

Make the pledge. Be the change you want to see.

3x Beemer 09-20-2013 06:14 PM

It's time they started taking driving licenses away from these idiots who think no one notices what they are doing.
Personally I think one who does is worse than an impaired driver and deserves more than a pathetic warning the cops seem to hard out.
Wait till one of your loved ones gets wiped out due to some idiot who had to tell a friend that he just farted.
At least an impaired driver does not know what he or she is doing.

damameke 09-20-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x Beemer (Post 1625167)
It's time they started taking driving licenses away from these idiots who think no one notices what they are doing.
Personally I think one who does is worse than an impaired driver and deserves more than a pathetic warning the cops seem to hard out.
Wait till one of your loved ones gets wiped out due to some idiot who had to tell a friend that he just farted.
At least an impaired driver does not know what he or she is doing.

So,you are saying that it is ok if an impaired driver wiped out one of your loved one for they know not what he/she was doing!!!

To sign or not to sign is not the issue,driver just have to use common sense,
If you need to use your cell phone,pull over

For me,I don't text or answer any call when I am driving,period.

aviator 09-20-2013 11:30 PM

I don't think he's saying it's ok for a drunk to injure anyone just that they are "less" responsible because their judgement was impaired by their drunken state when compared with the sober idiot busy texting behind the wheel.

Both are being selfish and stupid but only the sober one is in any condition to actually realize it at the moment.

The whole goal is to make texting and driving as socially unacceptable as drinking and driving is now.