maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   No more free shipping: autopartsway.ca (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158362)

Max_VQ 06-20-2013 01:50 PM

No more free shipping: autopartsway.ca

Yesterday I placed an order with autopartsway.ca. My total was below $100 and shipping was $20. So I added a few items to get the total over $100 and the shipping dropped to $3.99.

WTF, I thought it was free.... However at the top of the page it said flat rate of $3.99 if over $100. Hmmmm, things must be bad in that industry. First bimmerspecialst.ca and now this....

On the plus side, I had my parts the NEXT DAY!

Dissembler 06-20-2013 03:00 PM

Free shipping $150

propr'one 06-20-2013 03:41 PM

i guess they just raised it, i bought 4 oil filters last week to get me over 100$, shipping was free.

Max_VQ 06-20-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dissembler (Post 1615074)
Free shipping $150

My order was over 160 and shipping was $4. My order last week was free.

Eurostyle 06-20-2013 06:20 PM

Its hard for ANY business to stay competitive in Canada, considering you can got the same parts from the US much cheaper. What people forget is that we (the vendors) pay Canadian wholsale prices, pay Canadian taxes, pay Canadian salarys, pay Canadian rent/mortgages, Canadian fuel, have a much smaller market, and still people want to pay US prices!? :rolleyes:

Bullet Ride 06-20-2013 06:39 PM

Yeah I could tell when they were in transition with this because the web page was messed up... it said free shipping on orders over $1000... and I was like WTF!... then it changed again very shortly after.

propr'one 06-20-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eurostyle (Post 1615086)
Its hard for ANY business to stay competitive in Canada, considering you can got the same parts from the US much cheaper. What people forget is that we (the vendors) pay Canadian wholsale prices, pay Canadian taxes, pay Canadian salarys, pay Canadian rent/mortgages, Canadian fuel, have a much smaller market, and still people want to pay US prices!? :rolleyes:

it just comes down to volume. stuff is cheaper in the USA because the market is 10X larger.

Eurostyle 06-21-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propr'one (Post 1615099)
it just comes down to volume. stuff is cheaper in the USA because the market is 10X larger.

Not all the time. Toronto is what, 3rd largest city in NA now!? And if anything prices in the GTA are higher than most places. That's not even considering realestate. Just because you can buy a NICE house in Florida for $200K does not mean you can get anything in Toronto for that price!

propr'one 06-21-2013 01:10 AM

I think you'll find prices in the GTA in most cases are more competitive than other markets. Real estate isn't applicable here because its not the same product (real estate in florida is different than toronto)

if i sold hid kits widgets, and i was to buy 1000 of them from a manufacturer for resale, i wouldn't get as good of a price as someone who was going to buy 10000 units. In a market that is ten times smaller, the opportunity to buy in volume (and thereby ship, warehouse, distribute, etc in volume) means your unit cost goes up, and profit goes down.

i do agree somewhat that shipping also affects the price discrepancy. The cheapest way for me to ship a 4X4X2" box across the GTA with tracking is ~7$ (CPC). The cheapest way for me to ship something the same size from my brothers house in indiana to myself (with tracking) is ~6$USD. But volume also applies to this market, USPS has 10X larger clientèle, which allows for more streamlining and efficiency.

Also taxes are higher in canada. **** taxes.

SiR 06-24-2013 11:12 AM

that blows. iirc it was free shipping over $75. though most of my orders went over the $150 mark anyways so I guess its not a big difference.

gotta pay to play up here. none of this free shipping on a $2.99 part like the US has.