maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Member-E46 and E30 Racecar Content (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158324)

cheapthrills 06-18-2013 03:30 PM

New Member-E46 and E30 Racecar Content

Hi everyone,

New member to the forum, but not new to BMW or other forums (same handle on bf.c, r3vlimited, e30tech, e46fanatics, spece30, nasaforums...) I just moved to downtown Toronto from Connecticut. I currently have an E46 daily driver and a SpecE30 race car. I'm importing both and plan to keep the E30 street legal, as it is now in CT. I was told today that to pass safety inspection, the car needs to be at stock ride height. Is this true? The E30 has H&R Race springs which aren't that low. If I can't get around it, does someone have some stock E30 springs I can borrow for a couple days? Also, my quote for car insurance is more than 4 times what I pay in CT. Is there any way I can improve this? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I do all my own car work, and have a computer with INPA, NCS Expert, and WinKFP fully functional (up through E60, I believe). I'm willing to help with any problems on that front.

Anywho, I'm looking forward to some car meets and cruises, and here are the pictures you will inevitably ask for:
Before I painted the E30, E46 on its snow wheels:
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/...ps91d43dfd.jpg

What the E30 looks like now...
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7017f311.jpg

SiR 06-18-2013 03:57 PM

doesnt need to be stock ride height and welcome to ontario. we get smokkkkkkkkkkkkkkked on insurance.

Ceeker 06-18-2013 04:31 PM

welcome to Toronto where we pay any amount they wanna charge for insurance - just because...LOL!!

davericher20 06-19-2013 12:49 AM

Does not need to be stock height, and as soon as you cross the border, you might as well pull your pants down so they can fondle your balls, rape you in the ass and cum in your hair/on your drapes

And then you'll get screwed on insurance

jabela 06-19-2013 02:25 AM

lol... nice welcome Dave... There goes the myth that Canadians are polite!

Anyhow, welcome to Toronto. Insurance is ridiculous here. How much were you paying in CT? I pay about $1300 for my E46.

bmwm5lover 06-19-2013 09:21 AM

Welcome, you will find most everything is more expensive here then where you used to reside.

TSI 06-19-2013 10:33 AM

Hey Alex, nice to see you on here (I bought your seatbelt receiver a couple of months ago). That is an awesome E30!

For insurance, it helps a lot if you're outside of downtown. Using your in-laws' address will save you a lot of dough. What provider are you with?

bmwm5lover 06-19-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSI (Post 1614894)
Hey Alex, nice to see you on here (I bought your seatbelt receiver a couple of months ago). That is an awesome E30!

For insurance, it helps a lot if you're outside of downtown. Using your in-laws' address will save you a lot of dough. What provider are you with?

Ya, except that is technically insurance fraud as the vehicle needs to be registered at your primary residence.

cheapthrills 06-19-2013 03:43 PM

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm definitely going to be sticking with the downtown address...I need to be a good citizen.

My insurance in CT was remarkably low...$750/yr for both cars. My lowest quote so far here was $2000, and that's my girlfriend going through her professional association. Most are in the $3500 range. Some places aren't recognizing my 10 years of clean driving. Lots of companies are completely baffled by cars older than 20 years. Also, the second vehicle seems to be nearly doubling the cost. In the US, adding a second vehicle was an extra $150/year. Also, the coverage here is way different. $1M mandatory liability is an order of magnitude more than I had.

Whatever, I'll just have to lube up and accept it.

Hey Mat, did you get your fuel tank figured out?

TSI 06-20-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheapthrills (Post 1614942)
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm definitely going to be sticking with the downtown address...I need to be a good citizen.

My insurance in CT was remarkably low...$750/yr for both cars. My lowest quote so far here was $2000, and that's my girlfriend going through her professional association. Most are in the $3500 range. Some places aren't recognizing my 10 years of clean driving. Lots of companies are completely baffled by cars older than 20 years. Also, the second vehicle seems to be nearly doubling the cost. In the US, adding a second vehicle was an extra $150/year. Also, the coverage here is way different. $1M mandatory liability is an order of magnitude more than I had.

Whatever, I'll just have to lube up and accept it.

Hey Mat, did you get your fuel tank figured out?

We got 2 E30s for $2500 yearly, most comanies definitely don't like the older cars.

Yes, I ended up changing the tank in the sedan (took four days of breaking rusty bolts) and had to do the vert as well! I think I can safely say I'm on my way to becoming good at doing these...