maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rust issue (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158177)

AlpWhitE46 06-10-2013 10:50 PM

Rust issue

I have 2-3 spots i want to fix on the car ...

This wheel well i have gone 2 times to the same place to fix and it just comes back... I'm sick of it and wish he would just give me the money back..

Does anyone have any places they recommend that do a real job...

I know european autobody does but they are quite pricey... Which i don't certainly mind paying since i can count on the job being done.

http://s22.postimg.org/x5hzil3tt/photo_1.jpg

This is the trunk

http://s22.postimg.org/cwulwv4ip/photo_2.jpg

how to screenshot on windows

SiR 06-10-2013 10:58 PM

how did the other guys do it? just paint over it?

a proper clean up job(sand,grind,buff down to bare metal) , bondo,sanding,paint could do a pretty good job to get rid of it.

AlpWhitE46 06-10-2013 11:19 PM

I'm not really sure exactly what he did man... just not happy how it comes back after a week (i think i did this last year...)

Indeed i agree, but i don't have the skill to do that.

Smitty 06-11-2013 08:43 AM

I'm starting to have the exact same issue under the trunk. Also interested in some shop recommendations.

newbe46 06-11-2013 08:47 AM

Has the car been driven in winter? Just curious.

BMW Rated 06-11-2013 09:29 AM

Go see Rich at:
Luxury Auto Body (LAB)
26 Chauncey Ave
Etobicoke, On M8Z 2Z4

Tel: 416.233.0768

He does great work and his pricing is fair IMO.

Quickid 06-11-2013 09:33 AM

What year is your E46 and how many kms?

SiR 06-11-2013 10:03 AM

came back after a week?
so he basically didnt do anything.

that rust is likely only on the surface. needs to be taken down to the metal/cleaned up. bondo'd(and sanded) to smooth it out and then painted properly. its actually not that bad to do, though it will take some time.

both bumpers will need to be removed , along with the trunk trim.

dtthiaga 06-11-2013 12:38 PM

BMW and E46's Do Rust

That's probably not surface rust, but the metal seam that is rusting (inside/between coming out).
The outer and inner skins are probably folded over and spot welded.

It's the same issue BMW's have at the door seam's. Always rust proof your cars.

The rear fender, you need to have the metal lip cut out, new pieces welded, and then prep and paint. Simply grinding it won't get the rust, unless it was caused from a scratch from the outside.

Most of the BMW rust is from the inside out.

If you can find someone that will "Sandblast" the area, that will do a better job of cleaning up the rust. Grinding will never get the rust pits out (you'd grind away too much metal). Rust = Cancer, and you need to remove 100% of it, or it will come back.

I've had BMW fix my cars a few times, and it never sticks. The rust always comes back.
They grind and paint the area, making it look pretty, but the rust always comes back after 6 months.

Once you fix the rust, rust proof that area like crazy. Keep up with it year after year.
Buy KROWN in a can and spray all the E46 Problem area's. There are many.

I do/would rustproof the new BMWs as well.

SiR 06-11-2013 02:55 PM

most cars rust from the inside out but those two spots ive dealt with on some bmw's and it was surface ..so ymmv.

rust pits will be left even after sand blasting(they will be clean but the metal will still be pitted) thats why you have to fill it.

it sucks. :(

I know on the e36 that back piece can be bought separately(which involves drilling out the spot welds with or without the right tools) and spot welding the new piece in. not sure if the e46 can be done the same. that would guarantee that spot not coming back.

cleaning up the piece you have can work though.

AlpWhitE46 06-11-2013 10:44 PM

It has been winter driven of course and now its at 190km

BMW rated, how much do you trust this guy to fully do what needs to be done like dtthiaga says?

kenmar 06-11-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtthiaga (Post 1613964)
That's probably not surface rust, but the metal seam that is rusting (inside/between coming out).
The outer and inner skins are probably folded over and spot welded.

It's the same issue BMW's have at the door seam's. Always rust proof your cars.

My E36 was Krown'ed annually but still rusted at the welded door seam at the base of the A-pillar inside the door

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtthiaga (Post 1613964)
I do/would rustproof the new BMWs as well.

Do you say this from first hand experience? There are threads on E90Post that claim rustproofing the E90's is not necessary because the metal used is now of much higher quality. So much so that BMW doubled the rust warranty over that of the E46. Personally, I doubt that they've made such a significant improvement but only time will tell. Also, how do you rust proof the underside of the E90 since it has a plastic undertray running the whole length of the car?

Guelphguy 06-12-2013 10:18 AM

I have the same rust issues and would like to know what shop will just address the infected area's only instead of saying they have to paint half the damn car at $3000+. It's a 10+ year old car worth about $6000 (in my case) so spending $3000 in paint just doesn't make sense.

dtthiaga 06-12-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiR (Post 1613985)
rust pits will be left even after sand blasting(they will be clean but the metal will still be pitted) thats why you have to fill it.

it sucks. :(

Well, the reason you sand blast or media blast, is to remove the rust in the pits, which the rust actually caused.

Once you are left with completely clean metal (with clean pits), you can protect with an epoxy primer or something like POR-15 and stop the spread of rust. Then you can fill the pits/voids.

The key is to get the rust out of the pits, which is difficult/impossible to grind off. It may look clean, but you really have to look. Most body shops wont do that.

A heavy grind off, and strong wire brush wheel might get most of it off, and if you chemically treat it, might hold for several years.

I've seen pristine E46 Krown'd cars (mine), and the same Family's E46 with rust on the door pillar, hood, and doors. Similar mileage.

When I had an E36, I used to rust proof the Honda, but not the BMW (BMW didn't recommend it). After 5 years, the E36 had way more rust than my Honda. E36 had rust around the windshield, sunroof, lower front fender, door bottom and edge, trunk. Original Paint E36. Getting BMW to fix the rust was difficult after the second time.

Just ask them how they will address the rust.

I don't think anyone will give you a warranty on it anyway, because they cant stop it unless you start replacing metal.

SiR 06-13-2013 10:39 AM

^^agreed.

canadian winter driven cars. blargh