maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   X series (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Should I get a X3? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157763)

clwguy 05-21-2013 11:19 PM

Should I get a X3?

Looking for feedback from X3 owners. Are you happy with your X3?

I've read the reviews, checked out the car, took it for a test drive and I quite like it. But I don't know anyone who's owned one to get some first hand feedback. Things I should expect or know?

Thanks

Eurostyle 05-22-2013 12:13 AM

Unless its something very new, and you are not planning to keep it long, i say look at something else! They are very problematic; it has a 325/330xi driveline in a heavy SUV, so things tend to go VERY fast; driveshafts, transfer cases, diffs...The panoramic sunroof is a desaster.
IMO, unless you need an X5, you can get by with a 330xi touring just fine!*th-up*

clwguy 05-22-2013 11:02 AM

Thanks Eurostyle, that's good information to know. It wouldn't be driven a lot (ie no daily commutes) but getting close to retirement I am looking to have it for a while. My 11 year old, low-mileage 325 is starting to implode with problems. It's very disappointing.

rdc 05-22-2013 06:31 PM

Got an 08 x3si sport. Picked it up last October. So far the headlight washer started leaking, rear spring broke and the ac doesn't work. Never thought of testing the ac when I picked the car up last October. fcplm Going to take in next week and see what CPO covers. to add to Eurostyle's list of known issues, quirky shifting transmission and lifter noise (which worst case requires the cylinder head to be replaced). Not sure if the new generations are any better. If you're looking for a hassle free experience, lease it and return when the warranty runs out.

That said, I still like mine. I fold down the rear seats, throw up the cargo net and there's lots of room for the dog. It tows 3500lbs which is enough for my boat/trailer and gear. Handles great in the snow, is comfortable and has a quiet ride. When shopping I test drove a lot of small SUV's and the only other one I liked was a loaded subaru forester. Had to rule it out because it could only tow 2000lbs. .

2k328Ci 05-23-2013 09:58 AM

Got an 07 X3si sport too and we love it. We've only had it for 3yrs so far. It was the only SUV that we drove that handles like a car. So far the only thing that went wrong was the driver side seat warmer got too hot and melted a tiny bit of the leather, even though that particular part was not under the CPO warranty, BMW still replaced the seat as a goodwill warranty claim. So overall, we are very happy with our X3, no problems so far, but its only a 6yr old car (fingers crossed!).

clwguy 05-23-2013 11:51 PM

Thanks rdc and 2k. These responses are helpful. I'm also aware that all cars have some problems.