maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Educate me on n2Box Android TV - (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157342)

bmwm5lover 04-30-2013 02:42 PM

Educate me on n2Box Android TV -

Link that has me curious...
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ453437006

So I buy this thing, plug into my TV and internet and I get to watch anything and everything??? I have an ANdroid phone, does that help me in anyway?

Sounds like being invited to a coke party only to find out they meant no name brand Cola.

Blades 04-30-2013 02:54 PM

Yes and no

If you look at some of those "channels" they will require registration and payment like netflicks or crunchyroll

The others you might not even get here depending on how you spoof your DNS .. examples like hulu

others like xmbc which is more of a tool to get other channels will give you some stuff but they are dying now .. Im having a hard time finding xmbc channels that are normal tv channels as they are going down. You can install xmbc right on your pc for free and see if you can get channels

youtube is considered a channel but nothing special there .. you will get some middle eastern channels easily but really hard to find european for free

anyone else has luck with xmbc channels?

EMPOWERD 04-30-2013 03:33 PM

It's kinda like D-Link's Boxee Box. I haven't had a TV subscription for years since purchasing the Boxee Box, it's simply amazing watching all the TV shows from the internet. I recommend Terry!

bmwm5lover 04-30-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMPOWERD (Post 1608480)
It's kinda like D-Link's Boxee Box. I haven't had a TV subscription for years since purchasing the Boxee Box, it's simply amazing watching all the TV shows from the internet. I recommend Terry!

Is it only for TV shows, or can I watch movies as well? how about regular tv channels?

T.Dot_E30 04-30-2013 04:17 PM

There are a lot of these Android type boxes around, too many.

Sounds like this guy is buying these devices at a cheaper price, putting free software on it and charging you more. Good in theory if stuff works, but bad when you waste too much time figuring out how stuff works.

IMO they aren't very user friendly and too hard to use. You'll easily get frustrated with all the bad links and stuff that aren't reliable. You are better off going with a HDTV antenna and getting over the air channels for news and local channels.

I stick to playing local downloaded content for TV Show and Movies.

Should you have some type of media player? yes! Is it enough or reliable enough to cut off cable completely? Upto you to decide, but I've still kept basic cable for my wife. Me, I couldn't careless about Cable TV.

EMPOWERD 04-30-2013 04:30 PM

I use the Boxee for TV shows and for a great interface to access Youtube, Netflix and my Network Server (downloaded torrent movies etc). Boxee does have movies, but realistically nothing you'd ever recognize (made for TV?). I love the fact that is has a full QWERTY keyboard on the small remote to easily search for items. As Trevor mentioned, I use an HDTV antenna to get local stations and see current events.

mkgino 05-01-2013 12:39 AM

I got a jailbroken Apple TV as a gift around a year ago. Literally every single TV show or movie you could ever want/need to watch in great quality streaming for absolutely free.

Needless to say, I got rid of my cable TV and only pay for basic from rogers now.

bmwm5lover 05-01-2013 10:34 AM

I heard the jail breaks on the apple TV's go down/get changed frequently, true? otherwise I will go buy one today and get it jailbroken.

mkgino 05-01-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwm5lover (Post 1608587)
I heard the jail breaks on the apple TV's go down/get changed frequently, true? otherwise I will go buy one today and get it jailbroken.

In the year plus I have had it it went down once and it was when megaupload went under, but we just added another channel and its been fine since

The current apple tv selling @ apple is the third generation one, and I don't think it can be jailbroken yet., you need either first or second gen

propr'one 05-02-2013 06:12 PM

i have the wd tv plus.

private tracker/newsgroups + rss feeds + auto unrar means i have every tv show/movies/sporting event i want, almost immediately after its released, and i never have to touch a computer to watch it

rendered 05-03-2013 02:54 AM

Very interesting thread. Please tell me more! Man, sounds like a pretty killer setup!

Blades 05-03-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propr'one (Post 1608805)
i have the wd tv plus.

private tracker/newsgroups + rss feeds + auto unrar means i have every tv show/movies/sporting event i want, almost immediately after its released, and i never have to touch a computer to watch it

How so?

You would have had to setup your torrent app to private tracker and then unrar .. does the WD have torrent app on it?

propr'one 05-04-2013 10:08 AM

I have a torrent client running on winser2k8 which reads RSS feeds from various private sites. When a new release is uploaded to the site the RSS publishes the release to the feed and my client reads it.

I have filters set up (like, for instance) F1 R** 720P ******, breaking bad *** 720P **** which, if matched, will automatically queue the download

I run rarzombie on the computer which actively scans the download directory for new releases and unrars them.

the WD just goes over SMB and reads the unpacked MKV's.

very low-tech solution, but for me its perfect. I can sit down infront of the tv, navigate to what i want to watch, and press play.

Blades 05-04-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propr'one (Post 1608990)
I have a torrent client running on winser2k8 which reads RSS feeds from various private sites. When a new release is uploaded to the site the RSS publishes the release to the feed and my client reads it.

I have filters set up (like, for instance) F1 R** 720P ******, breaking bad *** 720P **** which, if matched, will automatically queue the download

I run rarzombie on the computer which actively scans the download directory for new releases and unrars them.

the WD just goes over SMB and reads the unpacked MKV's.

very low-tech solution, but for me its perfect. I can sit down infront of the tv, navigate to what i want to watch, and press play.

That's awesome but why rar files .. The HDTV videos are already compressed and you could be missing seconds within the video when it switches frames .. Sometimes the videos are cut at the ends depending on how it was rar'd

Ever notice that? I have on some vids

propr'one 05-05-2013 06:09 PM

^^i pretty much only download scene releases, they all come rar'd (scene rules)