maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1998 - 2005) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Automatic Open and Close Convertible Top With FOB key (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157103)

Arbioo 04-20-2013 06:11 PM

Automatic Open and Close Convertible Top With FOB key

I've seen some videos on youtube with these guys that open the rag top with just the FOB key...

I asked BMW and they told me they cant do that .. its only in the Europe..

Anyone locally that does this??? its apparently a computer mod that has to be done??

starbuck 04-20-2013 07:07 PM

Isn't this an option on the computer that can be active, where you hold the lock/unlock button on the key to open and close the top?

Question OP, when you hold the unlock button, do your windows roll down?

madonthemike 04-20-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arbioo (Post 1607033)
I've seen some videos on youtube with these guys that open the rag top with just the FOB key...

I asked BMW and they told me they cant do that .. its only in the Europe..

Anyone locally that does this??? its apparently a computer mod that has to be done??

Thats BS, this can be done with NCSExpert, its just a matter of coding either your CVM or GM5 control unit (cant remember which one), 5min job. If you have the software (just google NCSExpert) you can do it yourself.

CVM - Vert Module
GM5 - Central Body Electronics

So basically what it is you need the cable (<$30) + software (all over the internet) and read out some of the parameters in the GM5 module:

KOMFORTOEFFNUNG_FB : convertible top opens by holding the open button on remote..Or opens all windows & sun roof on non convertible
KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB : convertible top closes by holding the close button on remote..Or closes all windows &sun roof on non convertible

Im pretty sure if you can set the above parameters to active, you will be able to drop top/close top with remote. I assume its currently deactivated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by starbuck (Post 1607038)
Isn't this an option on the computer that can be active, where you hold the lock/unlock button on the key to open and close the top?
Exaclty
Question OP, when you hold the unlock button, do your windows roll down?

yeah simple coding, when I got my car a few months ago it wouldnt do anything, now I can roll up/down windows, get blinkers to flash upon lock/unlock, lock doors at certain speed etc..

Effay 04-20-2013 10:49 PM

would PA soft work for this? i would like to change some of the options on my e46

madonthemike 04-20-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Effay (Post 1607064)
would PA soft work for this? i would like to change some of the options on my e46

Yes it should, Ive personally never used it, but my understanding is that PA soft is a more user friendly way of setting different options/coding. It gives you various options you can tick on/off - its a good way of going about if you dont feel comfortable with factory tools like NCSExpert etc..

Effay 04-21-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madonthemike (Post 1607068)
Yes it should, Ive personally never used it, but my understanding is that PA soft is a more user friendly way of setting different options/coding. It gives you various options you can tick on/off - its a good way of going about if you dont feel comfortable with factory tools like NCSExpert etc..

thanks , I plan on getting a PA soft unit very soon. just wanted to see before I buy.

Thanks for the help ill let you know how it goes *th-up*

Arbioo 04-22-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madonthemike (Post 1607055)
Thats BS, this can be done with NCSExpert, its just a matter of coding either your CVM or GM5 control unit (cant remember which one), 5min job. If you have the software (just google NCSExpert) you can do it yourself.

CVM - Vert Module
GM5 - Central Body Electronics

So basically what it is you need the cable (<$30) + software (all over the internet) and read out some of the parameters in the GM5 module:

KOMFORTOEFFNUNG_FB : convertible top opens by holding the open button on remote..Or opens all windows & sun roof on non convertible
KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB : convertible top closes by holding the close button on remote..Or closes all windows &sun roof on non convertible

Im pretty sure if you can set the above parameters to active, you will be able to drop top/close top with remote. I assume its currently deactivated.

yeah simple coding, when I got my car a few months ago it wouldnt do anything, now I can roll up/down windows, get blinkers to flash upon lock/unlock, lock doors at certain speed etc..

madonthemike

where do I get this stuff.. Im a newbie .... can you please help me out?? you just went over my head..

tiquitaca 04-26-2013 03:11 PM

I found a guy on Maxbimmer who does this. He coded my E46 M3 vert.

tthai4 04-26-2013 04:27 PM

I just bought a module for my e46 vert... i originally was saving up for a SmartTOP but thats about 300+, i did some youtube/google search and came across this:

http://www.fbc-electronics.com/en/Home.aspx

i bought the open/close module for 90 dollars shipped (came in 5 days from italy). Other modules and features are available too.

the website itself is a tad weird/sketchy so i just contact him via email and he sent me a paypal invoice. His name is Fabio.

Didnt know about coding, would have went that route, seems cheaper.

Arbioo 04-27-2013 02:20 PM

well I tried it without know what will happen, thought my windows would open or nothing.. the top actually opened up ... but I cant get it to close..

any ideas?

davericher20 04-27-2013 03:22 PM

Can't get it to close from the fob? Or close altogether? I think the system is only designed to open it from the fob, though I've been wrong once before in my life, and even then...I was right.

scott_88 05-01-2013 10:48 AM

It can definitely be done. Mine was done from factory. It's a pretty sweet feature, but I want to recode mine such that it only opens the windows in a different order. Right now it is front --> back --> sunroof. I want sunroof --> front --> backs.

Perhaps I'm being a bit simple-minded here, but I'm pretty sure Rocco at RMP can do it. He did my DRL deletes so he definitely has the equipment to at least hook up to your bimmer and screw with the software.

azn_oo1 05-01-2013 11:01 AM

i can open and close the top with my key fob. Came with the car programmed from dealer

Arbioo 05-06-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azn_oo1 (Post 1608595)
i can open and close the top with my key fob. Came with the car programmed from dealer

I get mine to open, but cant close it... what do you press???

thanks

tiquitaca 05-07-2013 08:52 AM

Press the lock button once and then press and hold it until the top closes.