maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Vacations? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156980)

sirex 04-14-2013 12:59 PM

Vacations?

Hey guys. Taking a trip in late June with my girl. Looking for a 1 week all inclusive resort, but not sure where to go.

I would personally like to go to a 5 star and keep the price range between $1,000 to $1,500 per person.

Has anyone had any really good experiences that would like to share?

Im not too picky, I want to be close to beach, nice water.

Barnsdale 04-14-2013 01:40 PM

Valentin Imperial Maya - Went there last year and it was the best all inclusive I've ever been too. The hotel was at 95% capacity and it's such a large resort that it never seems busy, don't have to play the 6AM towel on chair game etc.

At night there's only restaurants that you make reservations for and they are actually specialized. This was the part I liked the best, I'm not a huge fan of buffet etc. so having good food was a must.

Rooms were massive and the bathrooms were extremely nice. Can do 24hr room service for free :D Awesome when you want a 6PK of Tecate and some foods, this aspect was awesome loved being able to order in beer and food haha

I believe we stayed in building 4 which is close to restaurants and one of the low key pools. You can also choose to upgrade to VIP and they set up a Cabana with your names on it every day so you always have a really nice place to chill by the pool if you want.

Anyways - here's the link to the resort and the tripadvisor, I would highly recommend it for a couple. Me and my girlfriend went with a group of 10 other couples and it was a blast, not one person left with anything bad to say about the resort which actually surprised me since usually there's 1 extremely high maintenance person lol!

Also one more thing - it's 21 plus adult so you don't have to worry about families or college kids who think they can hold their alcohol, this was also a huge plus for us.

http://www.valentinmaya.com/phototour.htm#8

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Revi...Peninsula.html

Deep 3.2TL 04-14-2013 07:32 PM

The "Now" resorts are getting some excellent reviews - have several friend who used them in the past couple of months and all have been extremely happy.

The one is the Mayan Riveria has the highest review for it's food out of 95 hotels. (according to itravel travellers)

propr'one 04-14-2013 10:21 PM

i'm going to secrets royal beach (attached to now larimar) in punta cana in a week, i'll report back.

paid 2800$ with airfare for a week

btw, if you're not booking a charter trip (so booking commercial airfare + hotel, instead of a package deal) bookit.com will often come out cheaper.

I found pretty much the same price (all travel website use published commercial rates for airfare that you can find on kayak/flightnetwork) and hotels (can give preference to certain agents but usually dont) but bookit.com had two promos for 100$ each that stacked, so i got a trip that was 3K everywhere for 2.8k

worth looking into. my girl hates charter flights, so we're flying commercial.

addbhp 04-14-2013 10:39 PM

Just got back from Jewel Runaway bay Jamaica (1st week of April), paid $1300 all inclusive each for upgraded room, which included private plunge pool, and fully stocked bar. Awesome resort, great food, people beach, no complaints at all.

bmw335i 04-15-2013 08:09 PM

Jamaica is in that price range.. try SAndals Grande Riveria (I believed it used to be Sandals Ocho Rios).. Been there years ago and the food is great.

Also Dreams Punta Cana (the more expensive one) is damn good. The food is to die for.. all you can eat Cuban Lobsters at the buffet twice a week.

If you can hold off till Hurricane season, it's 65% off. Got a room with a butler at Sandals Bahamian. I believe it was a bit more than your budget but it was originally price $12,000 + ... but they have Gordons on the Pier and this other restaurant that is free with Butler package. The rock lobster tail .. OMFG!.. You have to pay if you don't have the butler package though.. There's other non-paying restaurants onsite too.

lvan 04-20-2013 12:38 AM

I have mixed opinion on the rating for all inclusive resorts, and this is why I want to share this. Around October 2012 I booked the last minute in Bahamas and it turned out $500 per person for 4 days/4 nights for two star hotel. Anyways the 2 star hotel ended up being better than 4 and half star where I stayed in Punta Cana, D R. Also we got a pool bar where they served some decent food/eats. Anyways to make the story short, the lady said that this package would cost around $1500+ per person. The hotel room was as good as in Punta Canada, so there was not point filming it. You can see beach in that video, but there were many beaches on the paradise Island where you could go to.

The hotel pool bar / snack bar + booze included.

Deep 3.2TL 04-20-2013 12:49 AM

Stars are relative to the place you are going to. A 2 star in a place like Bahamas will not be the same as a 2 star in Cuba. You cannot compare star ratings in different areas.

lvan 04-20-2013 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL (Post 1606955)
Stars are relative to the place you are going to. A 2 star in a place like Bahamas will not be the same as a 2 star in Cuba. You cannot compare star ratings in different areas.

True, but I still don't understand why they charge so much for Bahamas... I mean it's a similar place as the rest island countries in that area. In better words, you drink, eat and go to beach, maybe a night club and that is it. Also I have been told that there is no all inclusive in Sheraton Nassau, and you pay for each meal. That sounds like Hawaii style getaway...

Deep 3.2TL 04-20-2013 01:13 AM

Quality. Quality of experience is better in Bahamas for the most part. You get what you pay for. Heck the wife and I did bora bora last November in French Polynesia - that cost us $10k for 10 days - but I tell you, service, quality of food, EVERYTHING was just incredible. But I would expect that for $10k

lvan 04-20-2013 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL (Post 1606957)
Quality. Quality of experience is better in Bahamas for the most part. You get what you pay for. Heck the wife and I did bora bora last November in French Polynesia - that cost us $10k for 10 days - but I tell you, service, quality of food, EVERYTHING was just incredible. But I would expect that for $10k

Sweet! Btw is that all inclusive for 10K or you pay for each meal? I think you pay for each meal because I saw major starwood hotel chains. Were you in the Westin Bora Bora?

Deep 3.2TL 04-20-2013 01:28 AM

There's no such thing as an all inclusive in that area of the world. That was paying for everything etc. It was also with premium rooms too. 4 nights in Moorea in a beach bungalow and 4 nights in bora bora in a premium over water hut (the ones that people email around pictures of all the time). We stayed at the intercontinental in both locations.

Our total cost after everything was said and done was about $10k. Flights are the killer. It was almost half for all the flights. Toronto to LA, LA to Tahiti, Tahiti to moorea, moorea to bora bora, bora bora to Tahiti, Tahiti to LA, LA to Toronto. It's not a close place to visit but just a spectacular place to see at least once in your life.

lvan 04-20-2013 01:41 AM

Good info. Btw would you be able to tell me the difference between Tamanu and Bora Bora? This is the place where I am planning to hit this year.
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/lemeri..._section_1Link

Just want to know in order to determine if it is worth flying that long.

Deep 3.2TL 04-20-2013 01:48 AM

There are hundreds of islands in French Polynesia. It was suggested to us by our travel agent as well as what we read that moorea and bora bora were the most scenic. Btw - DO NOT plan this without using an agent who specializes in the area. The insight and deals I got were not available to regular booking customers. She helped the whole way. Stephanie from down under travel is awesome. They specialize in French Polynesia, Australia and New Zealand.

Deep 3.2TL 04-20-2013 01:53 AM

Just looked at the pics of the meridian. It's nice, but to me, captures no culture of the area. That's what I loved about both intercontinental's. they completely felt part of the environment - not a New York hotel transported to FP.

That's just my opinion. In bora, there are 2 IC's. one is very modern, like the meridian, the other is more traditional, integrated if you will. We stayed at the latter and loved it. My wife was happy there, but when we did visit the other location, she said she would have been happy there too.

If you plan on doing a couple of islands, do bora last!! All else will pale in comparison - at least you will save the best for last!