maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels&Tires (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Summer tire suggestions (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156911)

e24_635csi 04-10-2013 07:46 PM

Summer tire suggestions

I Haven't had to buy any new summer tires in the past few years and need to buy a set for my 3 series this year.

I had been running the potenza re760s on my m5 and have been happy with them. But for the e46 I really don't need anything as high performance as those and don't want to spend as much.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on summer tires for a daily driver, at a reasonable price.

Thanks

Mystikal 04-11-2013 12:55 PM

Sumitomo HTR Z III
Hankook V12
Continental DW

Pretty much the top 3 affordable and great-all-around choices there IMHO. All are suitable for comfortable daily driving mixed with very good dry/wet performance.

SolTNutz 04-11-2013 01:08 PM

Hankook Ventus V12 EVO . Very good price for what you get.

heritage 04-12-2013 11:36 AM

Sumitoma HTRZ-3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystikal (Post 1605730)
Sumitomo HTR Z III
Hankook V12
Continental DW

Pretty much the top 3 affordable and great-all-around choices there IMHO. All are suitable for comfortable daily driving mixed with very good dry/wet performance.

Had a set of Sumitoma HTRZ-3 installed on April 05/13. Very happy with them. Made the decision on this brand after reading the "Tire Rack" test of 4 Max Performance tires which rate the Sumitoma highly. Had difficulty finding a set as Sumitoma are not well represented in Canada at this time. Found mine in Burlington at Total Tires at a competitive price $699.00 all in.

325iExecutiv 04-12-2013 12:26 PM

My experience with Sumitomo was that they wore out in 2 years. I am currently using Hankook RS3 and find them better.

heritage 04-12-2013 01:38 PM

Sumitoma Max performance tire

Quote:

Originally Posted by 325iExecutiv (Post 1605956)
My experience with Sumitomo was that they wore out in 2 years. I am currently using Hankook RS3 and find them better.

When looking for summer tires, I was most interested in buying a reasonably good tire that was quiet and rated UTQG higher than the Ventus and Dunlop. I acknowledge that opinions are subjective, and I therefore used the rating that was developed to assist consumers in their decision making process all else being similar.
If I was looking for long tread life, I probably would have considered all season tires. Might even had retained my Conti run flats which had approx. 6000 km's on them although I didn't really like them at all.
At my age , I don't even buy green bananas and certainly don't expect to outlive my tires' tread life but will enjoy them while I can.

doogee 04-12-2013 02:53 PM

On the second set of Sumitomo HTR Z III's.

Great tire.

EMPOWERD 04-12-2013 02:58 PM

Hankook V12
Continental DW

e24_635csi 04-13-2013 10:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate it.

I am going to look into them a bit more. I have to pull the trigger on some tires this week to have everything ready for the spring.

Seeing that I may not get the M on the road this year due to some tickets last year.. Im kind of excited to have the E46 in summer mode soon.

Heres a teaser from last fall, picked these up at the end of the summer with some worn out RFT's and barley had a chance to drive the car with them.

325iExecutiv 04-13-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heritage (Post 1605964)
When looking for summer tires, I was most interested in buying a reasonably good tire that was quiet and rated UTQG higher than the Ventus and Dunlop. I acknowledge that opinions are subjective, and I therefore used the rating that was developed to assist consumers in their decision making process all else being similar.
If I was looking for long tread life, I probably would have considered all season tires. Might even had retained my Conti run flats which had approx. 6000 km's on them although I didn't really like them at all.
At my age , I don't even buy green bananas and certainly don't expect to outlive my tires' tread life but will enjoy them while I can.

True.

On separate note Hankook RS3 are in the same summer performance category as the Sumitomo and pricing [source TireRack]. I purchased both from TireRack.... The only thing I did not like about the Sumitomo was not the short life but that little chunks of tire missing from the thread during Y2.

325iExecutiv 04-13-2013 08:11 PM

Dang... I just checked TireRack. Hankook is US$ 200 [all 4 combined] more than Sumitomo. Wow ... when I bought them back in 2010 they were only US$20 more expensive.

I was wrong about the pricing.

vrdublu 04-15-2013 06:04 PM

The best tires hands down are the Michelin SuperSport, quiet, last a good while, and sticky as they get rain or shine, good luck with your decision.*wave*

Dinanstu 04-16-2013 06:52 AM

Best bang for back are the Falcons FK452. They have excellent grip and maintain that grip as they wear. The Michelins are always excellent, but pricey...

Z4MC 04-16-2013 07:29 AM

Falkens have road force issues and get loud. Decent tire, but miles from comparison with s PSS.

Dinanstu 04-16-2013 08:04 AM

You know what, you're right.
I was surprised to see the Michelin PSS is only $50 more (Canadian) than the Falcon (on a 18" 255).

I think I have to wear out some rubber to get these puppies...

Good Call...