maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Need Help with Electrical issue (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156658)

pawelgawel 03-30-2013 09:56 PM

Need Help with Electrical issue

original thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=978924

So the seatbelt light and airbag light stays on the dash and radio flickers on/off... most of the time the radio just turns off and won't come back on.

Voltage is 13.9 with high beams, AC, and Radio on. Began playing around with fuses and #11 for airbag seemed to give some kind of response with shutting off the radio every time I tried to put the fuse back into socket.

The high beams flicker very faintly (hard to see but they do). Voltage regulator was changed on the alternator and voltage is steady at 13.8-13.9. battery is also at 12.5 when all off.

Any GOOD shops in GTA that can take on this riddle? I don't want to start dumping $$$ for this annoyance. I know the battery is fine and Alternator seems to charge very well as well.

Please direct me to someone who truly understands these cars electrical system.

TMW 04-01-2013 02:15 PM

Have you had the vehicle electronics system scanned?
Also do you have any other electronics that are non-oem wired into the car? ie angel eyes etc....
OEM radio?

Almost sounds like a bad ground.

TMW 04-01-2013 02:33 PM

Have you had the vehicle electronics system scanned?
Also do you have any other electronics that are non-oem wired into the car? ie angel eyes etc....
OEM radio?

Almost sounds like a bad ground.

dbworld4k 04-01-2013 02:37 PM

I had similar problems ones. Turned out to be a corroded connector to the battery in the trunk at one point, and a few years earlier, the connector in the engine bay had the same problem. Worth a look?

pawelgawel 04-01-2013 02:47 PM

Ive gone through major points in negative and positive contacts. All seem to be good. I found that the upper left section of my fuse box is only getting 5.8 volts section 1-15, while others get 11.5... must be a ground issue.

Except I dont know where that bunch of wires go to...

TMW 04-01-2013 02:51 PM

http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release/en/

find the radio, airbag etc see if they share the same ground point.

pawelgawel 04-01-2013 04:54 PM

^ thanks, I did find this the other day, but I am Extremly Illiterate with automotive electric diagrams. Ill search through it and see if I can come up with an idea.

pawelgawel 04-01-2013 05:05 PM

most of those diagrams do not come up either.

TMW 04-01-2013 05:11 PM

Its internet explorer based (boo!) so perhaps that's why you don't see all of it.

The easier way to look for the connector is just click on the radio tab, then click the connector usually starts with X then it should lead you to a screen where you can click the connector number and voila. It should lead you to the connector, or in your case the ground area.

pawelgawel 04-01-2013 06:09 PM

still cant see aything

TMW 04-01-2013 07:14 PM

There's one in the trunk on the driver-side of the car, but before you go on a wild goose chase....the seat belt light and airbag light I think have something to do with each other but nothing to do with your radio.

You should check under your seats and make sure there isn't 50 water bottles or a collection of tim hortons cups that pulled the connector apart when the seat moved. Double check the connections going from the wires coming out of the floor to the bottom of your seats.

If nothing was unplugged and the wires don't look like they lost a battle to tug-of-war, I suggest you have your electrical scanned. It will probably say your seat belt tensioner is pooched. Also something about your radio...

If airbag, seatbelt light came on the same time the radio stopped working then its probably something in the dash.

If the airbag, seatbelt light came on before the radio acted up or afterwards, its probably not related.

Then you can pull all the the carpet out of the trunk and remove the panel on the driverside (in the trunk) if you have a cd changer then you should be able to see it, if not I think there will be a little black box or something....anyways there's a ground point around there....but again to avoid taking all the stuff out of your trunk....get the car scanned.

pawelgawel 04-01-2013 07:55 PM

^ I just checked that one as well.. its all tight and clean. I ran the OBC on the cluster, voltage test, and its 14.1 while running, 11.6 when off (but this could be due to the overuse of lights the day before trying to find the root of this issue).

I did scan the car with PASoft 1.4, here is the read out

for Srs 50[080] Power supply, undervoltage

for Zke 07[007] Anti-theft system: Siren, Radio interior protection, Tilt alarm sensor or Wire STDWA short circuit to ground or open circuit
4F[079] Passenger mirror: Potentiometer axel 1/3

for Smf 0C[012] Power supply hall sensors, short to batt+

so it seems like a short somewhere here ^ ??? I thought it would be the tensioner as well but nothing came up on the scan

pawelgawel 04-01-2013 08:31 PM

Im using firefox to look at the diagrams, LOL, I have no clue how to look at this

pawelgawel 04-01-2013 09:06 PM

im looking at the restraint functions file and the diagram shows Hall Sensors... maybe thats it. I was under the impression in e46, the seatbelt comes on at the beginning to remind the person, and is not an actual on/off function... maybe i am wrong

TMW 04-02-2013 05:51 PM

I think it is an on/off function on the belts.

I just checked with the wife's car. It is.