maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   o2 simulators for drive clean?? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156267)

rider-. 03-10-2013 11:11 PM

o2 simulators for drive clean??

Hey guys

I have to go for an etest soon however my post cat o2 sensors are disconnected since the threads on one of the manifolds came out with one of the sensors after trying to replace them.. After that i just tied them up and kept the o2 sensors disconnected since they have nothing to do with fuel trim. Now with these new obd etests I will not be able to pass! I cant even put the o2 sensor back unless i weld in a new bung since I welded the hole shut after the threads were ruined. My question is that if I were to buy o2 simulators, would it allow my car to pass? Or would the new systems detect some sort of modification.

NOTORIOUS VR 03-11-2013 12:11 AM

As long as the simulators are working correctly to allow the ECU to see what it wants to see, the ECU will know no difference and pass the readiness code eventually.

propr'one 03-11-2013 09:03 AM

^^+1,

Actually probably faster than real O2's, since those have to warm up.

ac_2007 03-11-2013 11:26 AM

Honestly, the new OBD e-test just made things a lot easier for people with headers, cat inefficiency codes, or otherwise missing post-cat O2's.

Contact the OP in this thread:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=906094

He will make you a set of O2 simulators with an incorporated special resistor for the heated elements. Just ship him the connector ends of your O2 sensors, and you'll get back a clean plug & play solution shipped to your door.

SiR 03-11-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac_2007 (Post 1601302)
Honestly, the new OBD e-test just made things a lot easier for people with headers, cat inefficiency codes, or otherwise missing post-cat O2's.

^^^ this. its so much easier now.

You couldnt fake a tail pipe reading before.... but to make those monitors happy? easy. lol such cash grab bs.

NOTORIOUS VR 03-11-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiR (Post 1601306)
You couldnt fake a tail pipe reading before....

Well that's not really true :)

Or at least, there are ways to make your car pass the sniffer w/o cats and it is quite simple even.

ac_2007 03-11-2013 01:25 PM

Care to elaborate?

I know there are solutions you can run the car on which improve the NOX readings and such, but its not worth potentially causing damage to engine components, peripherals, and mainly rubber-based components just to pass the sniffer test without cats.

The only other 2 (illegal and discouraged) methods are to get "a guy", or have another car of the same make/model which does have cats.

NOTORIOUS VR 03-11-2013 02:01 PM

Methanol

ac_2007 03-11-2013 02:13 PM

As per my reply above then.

propr'one 03-11-2013 03:31 PM

you guys are talking about two different things. the OBD system has to report emissions OK and the shiffer test has to pass. alcohol will make your exhaust gasses cleaner, you can use o2 sims and other electronics to pass the OBD test. Im in talks to start selling o2 + secondary airpump simluators, i'll let you guys know if i can beat the current prices.

NOTORIOUS VR 03-11-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac_2007 (Post 1601338)
As per my reply above then.

What about your reply? It has nothing to do with anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by propr'one (Post 1601357)
you guys are talking about two different things.

Correct

ac_2007 03-11-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propr'one (Post 1601357)
you guys are talking about two different things. the OBD system has to report emissions OK and the shiffer test has to pass. alcohol will make your exhaust gasses cleaner, you can use o2 sims and other electronics to pass the OBD test. Im in talks to start selling o2 + secondary airpump simluators, i'll let you guys know if i can beat the current prices.

The conversation transitioned into passing sniffer-emissions without cats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR (Post 1601367)
What about your reply? It has nothing to do with anything.

"its not worth potentially causing damage to engine components, peripherals, and mainly rubber-based components just to pass the sniffer test without cats"

propr'one 03-11-2013 08:54 PM

the right way to get a car to pass driveclean without cats is:

-reinstall cats
-test
-remove cats

You can have a midpipe section that's removable to make it easier for yourself.

BTW high flow cats cause very little backpressure and most people can run cats just fine, they just choose not to because they're stupid.

BMe30 03-11-2013 09:54 PM

My high flow cats blew out less than a year... However i did pass emissions last year with my 91' before the insides started to break apart.

I think ill do the cat swap from now on.

NOTORIOUS VR 03-11-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac_2007 (Post 1601387)
"its not worth potentially causing damage to engine components, peripherals, and mainly rubber-based components just to pass the sniffer test without cats"

Annnnnd to that, an 80% mix of Methanol won't do any damage what so ever... for the time you will drive on it to get your sniffer test done.

You fill up with pump gas afterwards and be on your way.