maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New rules regarding "Check Engine light" at mechanics (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155957)

Blades 02-21-2013 09:29 AM

New rules regarding "Check Engine light" at mechanics
 
From what I heard they are changing the laws about emissions and if someone were to bring a car in to the mechanic with a check engine light they cannot take the car until that problem is fixed (or something along those lines)

Anyone else hear this or know more about it?

I guess buying a reset computer might be handy to have if you have an older car as I heard they are going to be problematic in terms of this new rule.

sb_600 02-21-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blades (Post 1599121)
I guess buying a reset computer might be handy to have if you have an older car as I heard they are going to be problematic in terms of this new rule.


Nope that won't help either.

When then run the E-test, they check for I/M Readiness. If you CEL has recently been reset, the I/M protocols won't be "ready" and they're know the computer was just reset.

Read more here:

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment...OD_102286.html

bmwm5lover 02-21-2013 10:35 AM

I've been told that the new testing will allow for 1 not ready on the results, providing it isn't a major fault like misfiring, 02 sensors, etc.
Nearly every single older European car will have a fault for the evap system (gas cap or vacuum line somewhere), nothing that effects the performance of it.

In any case, they are trying to kill the used car market.

Blades 02-21-2013 11:10 AM

Thats such bullshit .. cant believe the government is getting away with this. It makes sense to get rid of those people not taking care of there cars and polluting the environment but if its something minor you cant get your car back from the mechanic I can see a lot of small claim court cases arising. I bet a lot of mechanics don't like the idea of this .. or maybe they do .. i dunno

Blades 02-21-2013 11:17 AM

Just reading the website .. this would help in buying a used car to make sure it is "ready" when its emission tested (not screwed with) so this way you could tell if the engine was working correctly in the last little while.

propr'one 02-21-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sb_600 (Post 1599130)
Nope that won't help either.

When then run the E-test, they check for I/M Readiness. If you CEL has recently been reset, the I/M protocols won't be "ready" and they're know the computer was just reset.

Read more here:

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment...OD_102286.html

basically all the sensors have to be live and the car has to be running in closed loop. you can definitely reset the car, drive it for 20 mins, and pass.

kevin325 02-21-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propr'one (Post 1599145)
basically all the sensors have to be live and the car has to be running in closed loop. you can definitely reset the car, drive it for 20 mins, and pass.

What if your DME is by passing lets say, post 02 sensors? Will that show up as "not ready"?

I passed last year with flying colors even with no cats and a S/C when they tested my car under "hot rod status".

propr'one 02-21-2013 12:03 PM

^^you are exempt from the rules as a hot rod.


the whole point of O2 sensors is they trick the ECU into thinking you're stoich. should pass just fine.

kevin325 02-21-2013 12:04 PM

Love the new rules :D

slemmer 02-21-2013 12:17 PM

Stupid new test - they should repeal and put back the old system.

Blades 02-21-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin325 (Post 1599161)
Love the new rules :D

How did you get your car registered as a "hot rod"

I know kit cars go under the same rules.

sb_600 02-21-2013 12:42 PM

If you think about it, this new test makes WAY more sense than the old one.

Car manufacturers are required to meet federal emission standards throughout the "useful life" of the vehicle, which is roughly 193,000km (120k mi). The OBD system is put in place to ensure that the car is performing at a level that does not cause the vehicle emissions to rise above an appropriate threshold.

Basically, this test just confirms that your car is running as the manufacturer intended (unless you "cheated" or defeated the system in some way). IMO, it's logical.

The only downfall is that past 193,000km, the manufacturer has no obligation to ensure the systems are reliable. So after that mileage, you might see things like catalytic converters, etc. deteriorating to the point where expensive repairs are needed to pass this test.

jrsmitchell 02-21-2013 12:53 PM

I also think the new system makes more sense, and for most people it will actually be easier to pass.

Model years 1988 to 1997 will get a basic 2-stage idle test. This shouldn't be done on the rollers, it's similar to how they used to test AWD cars. In my experience this is quite easy to pass if you car is running moderately well.

Newer model years will get the OBDII computer scan. If your MIL/CEL is on you're not going to pass but at least you know this in advance ;) As for readiness monitors, Models 1998 to 2000 can have two monitors set to Not Ready and models 2001+ can have one monitor set to Not Ready.

damameke 02-21-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrsmitchell (Post 1599177)
I also think the new system makes more sense, and for most people it will actually be easier to pass.

Model years 1988 to 1997 will get a basic 2-stage idle test. This shouldn't be done on the rollers, it's similar to how they used to test AWD cars. In my experience this is quite easy to pass if you car is running moderately well.

Newer model years will get the OBDII computer scan. If your MIL/CEL is on you're not going to pass but at least you know this in advance ;) As for readiness monitors, Models 1998 to 2000 can have two monitors set to Not Ready and models 2001+ can have one monitor set to Not Ready.

You forgot to mention that even with the basic 2 stage idle test, it will cost you more than the $39, it is almost $80..

With the ODB test and based on what is happening now, most cars fail, even used car dealers are complaining..

bottom line. it cost more to do the new ODB emission test ....

kevin325 02-21-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blades (Post 1599171)
How did you get your car registered as a "hot rod"

I know kit cars go under the same rules.

Swapped engine qualifies as "hot rod status" (the displacement has to be higher though) - since the car is originally a 2.5 liter but now its 3.2 liter you can run it under "hot rod".


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2015