maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Advice on a new e39 M5 purchase (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155739)

dee0007 02-10-2013 09:11 AM

Advice on a new e39 M5 purchase

Hey guys I just purchased a 03 M5 on an auction. Will be arriving here tmr or tues. My questions are:
What should I check/ look for mechanically?
( no service records on carfax )
I want to listen to my iPhone , what is the best way? Does the 03 come w aux? If not how do I install/ what kind? Perhaps another solution for iPhone connection?
I will be probably in need of a hood a trunk since its been hail damaged, anyone selling ? Or what's a good place to buy?

Any other recommendation for me ?

I'm new to M5 so any advice will be appreciated .

Eurostyle 02-10-2013 11:21 AM

Buying an M5 like this (without proper testing, or records) is a VERY risky thing! Get it checked by a good mechanic ASAP, as they can get expensive very quick!!!

dee0007 02-10-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eurostyle (Post 1597775)
Buying an M5 like this (without proper testing, or records) is a VERY risky thing! Get it checked by a good mechanic ASAP, as they can get expensive very quick!!!

Any suggestions for good mechanics in the west end?

JINT 02-10-2013 12:01 PM

go to RMP

dbworld4k 02-10-2013 12:45 PM

Lol. I hope it turns out well, else it could be a colossal nightmare.

For iPod/iPhone listening, you need a Dice kit. Mine's for sale if you're interested.

dee0007 02-10-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbworld4k (Post 1597788)
Lol. I hope it turns out well, else it could be a colossal nightmare.

For iPod/iPhone listening, you need a Dice kit. Mine's for sale if you're interested.

Lol i know lets just hope everything is ok!

Msg me w the price for dice kit

windwagen 02-10-2013 04:55 PM

Nice find! If you want, I'd be happy to check it out for you. In fact, I'll be in the west end on Tuesday inspecting an A3 for a friend.

I looked into the Dice kit too. Very cool, but it started adding up fast with the DSP and NAV kits, which the M5 has both! Instead, I went ghetto and did this... If this were my daily driver, I might have done it.

E39 Aux In

This site has a similar write up too, but they added a preamp to boost the volume. Look for "MP3/aux input install" under the Stereo section.

bmwtips.com/

david528 02-11-2013 10:15 AM

BimmerSport, roughly at Tomken and Courtney Park in Mississauga (they're also a Max sponsor). They are good guys.

I'd check the fuel pump first, lift up the rear bench (pull up by hand), see if there is a cut in the rubber on the passenger side. If there is a cut out in it, your fuel pump has been replaced (which is good).

But to start, regardless of mileage these tend to go on E39 M5's every 40-60k (treat them as consumables if you may):
- front thrust arms (aka upper control arms)
- Front Sway bar bushings/drop links
- rear sway end links/brackets/bushings
- Valve cover gaskets
- MAFs (two of them)
- power steering lines

Less common issues, but likely need replacement:
- rear main seal
- Throttle position sensors (2 of them)
- Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS - 4 of them)
- brake rotors/pads
- leaking diff seals
- review mirror (interior one) dimming issues
- t-stat
- fan clutch
- timing chain guides/tensioner
- vanos service (2 of them)

kzy 02-15-2013 03:58 PM

as for iphone :

http://www.dynavin.com/

firbster 02-18-2013 07:59 PM

soooo?, how did the car look.. how about posting some pics of it .. the 2003 is a harder M5 to find.. you might have got a good deal there ..

dee0007 02-18-2013 08:16 PM

Car is good! Done up for sure , exhaust etc. missing few parts which most I Found already . Obviously has hail damage which I knew. Will replace the hood and trunk eventually and pain the roof. But I'm planing to plasti dip it grey. The only thing I'm not sure about is that it has two switches beside the speedometer. Have no idea why the previous owner had them for. Will post pics soon

dtthiaga 02-20-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dee0007 (Post 1598759)
Car is good! Done up for sure , exhaust etc. missing few parts which most I Found already . Obviously has hail damage which I knew. Will replace the hood and trunk eventually and pain the roof. But I'm planing to plasti dip it grey. The only thing I'm not sure about is that it has two switches beside the speedometer. Have no idea why the previous owner had them for. Will post pics soon

You don't have to post how much you paid for it, but how much lower than market value did you pay? That will determine if it's a good deal and give some room to fix things.

Get the Carproof, and drive it a lot and do a full shake down. See where you stand.

You may need to unload the car if there are major issues (unless you bought it cheap).

I've sent cars back to the auction.

dee0007 02-20-2013 10:25 AM

What is the market value for 03 M5 w 150k , note its originally from states, branded non, no accidents on carfax. Only had hail damage. Mainly hood trunk (which I m thinking of replacing ) , roof and some dings on doors etc. and a few missing parts, most mats, few trim ( already purchased a black set ) , tool box ( purchased ), m5 badge :), spoiler. Came with non M5 rims w winters. ( also purchased a set of originals for good price )

Should I get carproof as supposed to carfax ? And critical things should I check for.?

mudmojo 02-20-2013 04:02 PM

150k miles or kilometers?

What does "branded non" mean? Clear title?

I took a look at a USDM E39 M5 here.

The seller supplied Carfax was clean.

The Carproof, I ran myself, showed that it had been salvaged in NY state less than 3 weeks before importation into Canada. The car was exported before the title was officially tagged salvage in NY state and thus entered Canada as a clear title car.

If I had ONLY relied on the Carfax, I might have been the proud owner of somebody else's piece of junk

If you follow the instructions on this thread,
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/show...ight=autocheck
you can run an Autocheck on it yourself.

I'd use all of those checks if possible however the recommendation is to analyze their results before the purchase of the car.

If it's an 2003 150K miles car in pristine cosmetic and mechanical condition, I'd say it could fetch up to 19K USD on the high side. This would be with lots of receipts and tons of maintenance history...a perfect high mileage example with lots of wear and tear items proactively taken care of or at least taken care of on a schedule.

If it has hood+trunk+roof+door dings with missing badges/spoiler/interior trim and requires a replacement and/or repaint of some parts then that certainly devalues it by at least the amount of the parts, materials and the labour.

Unfortunately, if was cosmetically neglected, one might surmise that it was neglected mechanically too.

windwagen 02-20-2013 05:01 PM

Regardless of the value/title/cosmetic condition, it still is 394 HP, 360 ft-lb, sub 5 sec 0-60..... So just drive it and enjoy!

My M5 has wicked rock chips on the front bumper...I got a quote of $1200 to paint that and a bunch of other cosmetic defects. One of my car buff buddies advised me not to fix it.... "You'll forever be chasing the perfect finish". Instead, I spent $80 on Dr. Colorchip and a few hours in the garage.

I took the bumper off and put it on the bench to do this. It feels a bit rough, but at least it looks fine unless you take a closer look.

How do the headlamps look? Are they faded? I polished mine and they look great - not new, but pretty damn good!