maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   e90 xi stuck in front of my house - How did you make out today? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155728)

T.Dot_E30 02-08-2013 05:05 PM

e90 xi stuck in front of my house - How did you make out today?

So how did everyone make out today?
How far did you have to travel and how long did it take you?

My wife and I both worked from home :D
We did however go out for lunch in my M3 and I made it out and back without getting stuck. I was mostly plowing snow with my low front end, but after getting out of my street the roads were semi plowed but still a lot of snow.

At about 4pm, I saw this guy struggling for 10-15 min in front of my house. I went out to help, mostly to see if he had winter tires. He didn't. After shoveling some snow from around his car, I was able to get him out once I took DCT off.

damameke 02-08-2013 05:22 PM

I dug out 6 cars in front of my house and 2 has snow tires but all SUV just sailed right through...what a day....

blk3 02-08-2013 05:38 PM

My alternator died one km or so from my house. Parked it and walked back. Figure out how I'm going to fix the car later.

Blades 02-08-2013 05:38 PM

I drove circles around people today .. the onramp to 410 from steels was packed because of a Infinity coupe spinning its tires and an echo behind it think it will go over the snow. I just laughed my way to work at all the stupidity

colombiano 02-08-2013 06:01 PM

Lots of snow to shovel. With a good set of winters my E46 has no issues.

dbworld4k 02-08-2013 06:48 PM

Helped a Civic that got stuck at an intersection in a snow bank. I plowed through those piles with the GLK with ease, over taking cars on the road, too. It's so much fun out there!

Barnsdale 02-08-2013 07:28 PM

My E46 was a tank with the winter tires - drove downtown to work and back no problem. What a difference a really solid set of winters make, I couldn't believe it.

windwagen 02-08-2013 08:03 PM

I only drove my kids b/f from school - 3 km.

There wasn't a lot of traffic, but many people were stuck. Some even with snow tires. I keep a box of sand in my car so I stopped to help. What amazes me is how many people don't know to turn off the traction control. Most drove away after switching it off.

When I went to pick up my kids, there was an E34 stuck at the bottom of my street - with snow tires. He didn't even know what the DSC button was for.... bye bye - then it happenned.

I was driving my company car. Altima V6 with Blizzaks. It was fine as long as I turned the traction control off. But for some reason, after I stopped for the E34, the traction control wouldn't shut off. The lamp indicating it was defeated was lit but I couldn't spin the tires. My wife and I stuck our heads out the window to confirm...wtf!

It was so painful - the engine would kill and brakes would apply once we start to move. We were just sitting there like a putz. Switching the engine off didn't work, or it worked for a few seconds. Finally, I resorted to pushing. I got my wife to drive and really we weren't getting anywhere. One more Off-On cycle and she was able to spin the tires and drive out of the deep snow.... it was OK for the rest of the trip - F'in Nissan!!! wtf!!

The worse stucks were the buses. I used up almost all my sand and got one free. I wasted the rest on another one, but the driver sucked at rocking so |I gave up and left. There were two more stuck buses on the way home...what a mess!

kamus 02-08-2013 08:43 PM

Call me na´ve - but I don't understand the comments re turning off traction control. I don't have a lot of experience with it. But my wife's 335 is our first car to have it - and it's simply awesome in these conditions, with a new set of winters. And it's not an xi. You just squeeze the gas half way, hold it, give the computer a few seconds to think about things, and then the car just takes off. Every single time. I wouldn't dream of turning it off (unless I wanted to go drift play - as opposed to getting somewhere).

What am I missing?

TSI 02-08-2013 09:07 PM

Took the e30 out for some errands...took 3 russian guys to push me out of the snowbank in front of my parking spot (thanks snowplow!), and then lots of fun...

biggest lesson: 50kg in the trunk makes a night and day difference. The car is useless without it, and amazing with.

noid 02-08-2013 09:36 PM

I drove from North York to Brampton and back.

In the afternoon I tried to collect some good karma by driving around my neighborhood and helping people get unstuck and I plowed through the majority of the alleyways where the garages are to make ruts so people would at least have a chance to get out/in.

Did this all with a 1999 Toyota Rav4; thing is a beast. It has locking diffs front and back (factory) and all time 4x4. Was able to do all this with all season tires. Never once got stuck.

Blackedout95 02-08-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamus (Post 1597696)
Call me na´ve - but I don't understand the comments re turning off traction control. I don't have a lot of experience with it. But my wife's 335 is our first car to have it - and it's simply awesome in these conditions, with a new set of winters. And it's not an xi. You just squeeze the gas half way, hold it, give the computer a few seconds to think about things, and then the car just takes off. Every single time. I wouldn't dream of turning it off (unless I wanted to go drift play - as opposed to getting somewhere).

What am I missing?

Having an XI I have never had to turn traction control off in the winter BUT I have seen it done from time to time on rwd cars.

For example, since the TC limits revs as part of it's design on a bmw (@ roughly 2K I think) when you find yourself in a rwd car needing more power you can by turning it off, have it. Youll either be a smart man who spins wildly free from a rut or a guy burning rubber lol

You think the TC is pulling you through it and it is but how it is doing it is also how it may work against you in RARE cases when a limiter restricts you. If you find yourself in this situation you shouldnt even be out driving tbh.

win8x100e 02-08-2013 10:29 PM

I got snows and I got stuck on my side street which was unplowed. Once you hit the main streets, driving is fine as long as you adjust your driving to weather conditions.

I noticed 4x drive SUVs and big pickup trucks didn't seem to have a problem getting stuck or starting off whether they had snow tires or not.

T.Dot_E30 02-08-2013 10:53 PM

Leaving traction on is fine for normal driving but when a car is stuck I find it better to turn it off. Look in the video I posted the wheels were barely trying to turn because of traction, once I took it off, it just powered out of it.

doogee 02-08-2013 11:23 PM

I wasn't going anywhere haha:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8245/8...6a4034d0_c.jpg