maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Speeding ticket (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155227)

South 01-12-2013 10:25 PM

Speeding ticket

I know theres alot of these tpyes of posts but nonetheless the advice is appreciated.

Anyway I did a right turn at a red light and gunned it to about 90 going up the hill, put in neutral and cruised a bit. But it was too late, cop already saw me at intersection and he gunned it and pulled me over. Said I was going 40 over but gave me a ticker for going 20 over in a 60 zone.

The ticket doesn't show it was dropped from 40 over or anything. So I mean this 20 over should I just pay? or should I fight it?

1bmw1 01-12-2013 10:45 PM

20 over i think you recieve points so it's really up to you. I think if you have the time to fight it, then why not? Worth a shot.

Jim .E. 01-13-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by South (Post 1594606)
I know theres alot of these tpyes of posts but nonetheless the advice is appreciated.

Anyway I did a right turn at a red light and gunned it to about 90 going up the hill, put in neutral and cruised a bit. But it was too late, cop already saw me at intersection and he gunned it and pulled me over. Said I was going 40 over but gave me a ticker for going 20 over in a 60 zone.

The ticket doesn't show it was dropped from 40 over or anything. So I mean this 20 over should I just pay? or should I fight it?

If you fight it, you are fighting the actual 40 over charge. If you have a case or follow this site (ASK FOR DISCLOSURE!!!) you could win and get off squeaky clean.

I recommend fighting it, follow this site:
http://www.roadwarriors.ca/ontario_t...ckets_tutorial

your other option is go on for a first appearance. speak to the prosecutor and they'll drop it to 15 over which is zero demerit points.

daytona 01-13-2013 12:54 AM

Cop probably put an "R" on the ticket meaning he reduced the speed..if the cop shows up and you got the disclosure in time you are screwed and better make a deal with the prosecutor before your case is called.I was charged under the HTA and got it thrown out due to it was over 11 months and I got the disclosrer at the trial and the witnesses never showed.My lucky damn day.....

ChrisTO 01-16-2013 12:54 AM

ya...as others have said...ask for disclosure immediately. at worst you get the same deal on day of the trial. chances are no disclosure will be sent. and you get another round to fight it.

unless you are nearing 6 points...the biggest concern is impact to insurance. points or not points an infraction does show up on your abstract. and insurance if they pull it will see it and hello to bend over time.

here's another site...very similar to earlier one posted. not asking for court date is no excuse.

the long term impact to your wallet is insurance hike.

http://www.ticketcombat.com/step4/disclosure.php

South 01-16-2013 02:37 AM

Thx for the info guys. Taking it to court. I just do not know what I am going to defend. I guess that depends a lot on disclosure?

when the officer pulled me over he just told me I think you were doing a 100 because that's what I did to catch up to you. And I said I was like doing maybe 80, if that - and he reduced it to 20 over in a 60 zone and not 40 over....

Im just worried I go to court and get nailed with the 40 over in the end

any more thoughts?

propr'one 01-16-2013 09:19 AM

So you confessed to doing 20 over. That was pretty stupid, and is going to be very hard to beat in court. Hope that he doesn't show.

Remember: Demerit points dont matter unless you're losing your licence. Fines for speeding are small. You're fighting to keep your insurance cheap. Admitting guilt to an officer is NEVER the right thing to do, especially when he admitted to you he had no idea how fast you were going. (Officers cannot "guess" your speed based on how fast they were going to catch you, that will never stand up in court.)

325isdan 01-16-2013 04:24 PM

OMG.. DO not fight the ticket. Check the box that is Plead Guilty but talk to the Prosecutor. They will most likely switch the ticket to 10 over no points. And if they dont and you still want to fight it you still have that option.

The Prosecutor is there to help you out.

sloveniaboy 01-16-2013 04:41 PM

I would fight it, request disclosure and go from there. You could plead guilty with an explanation and hope for a lower penalty but your insurance wont care, a ticket is a ticket and your rates will most likely go up as a result. Also, the ticket will remain on your driving record for a period of time which wont help in any subsequent stops by police. I'm not saying there isn't risk in fighting it, because there is, but this is the only route to totally get rid of the ticket.

and I second this

Quote:

Originally Posted by propr'one (Post 1594999)
Remember: Demerit points dont matter unless you're losing your licence. Fines for speeding are small. You're fighting to keep your insurance cheap. Admitting guilt to an officer is NEVER the right thing to do, especially when he admitted to you he had no idea how fast you were going. (Officers cannot "guess" your speed based on how fast they were going to catch you, that will never stand up in court.)

Blades 01-16-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 325isdan (Post 1595050)
OMG.. DO not fight the ticket. Check the box that is Plead Guilty but talk to the Prosecutor. They will most likely switch the ticket to 10 over no points. And if they dont and you still want to fight it you still have that option.

The Prosecutor is there to help you out.

omg really?!? The prosecutor is a ****ing asshole, always will be an asshole, and thinks everyone else is the asshole.

sloveniaboy 01-16-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blades (Post 1595055)
omg really?!? The prosecutor is a ****ing asshole, always will be an asshole, and thinks everyone else is the asshole.

true :D

sirex 01-16-2013 07:16 PM

you know ive been generally blessed by not being pulled over, so I've never had to talk to a cop about this stuff.

but how can the officer say you were doing 40 over? How does he know? Do they have radar on their dashboards now or something?

I mean if the cop pulled you over, what is he going to say?

Do you know how fast you were going?
'the speed limit'
No you were doing 40 over the limit!
'umm, Im pretty sure I was doing the limit'

starbuck 01-16-2013 09:17 PM

Ok a lot of advice being given is BAD advice .. I have extensive experience with the consequences of settling on a lesser charge .. No matter what, FIGHT IT... This is important because if you don't win completely (meaning no conviction of any kind), you will face insurance rate consequences on your next renewal. Believe me, points don't matter (is used by mto only), its the conviction that matters no matter how low they reduce the fine to. The extra insurance premium you pay for 3 years from the date of conviction will be far greater than any savings you could achieve with a reduced charge

daytona 01-16-2013 10:21 PM

its not the points the insurance companies looks at its the conviction...I rather take the points with no conviction.

Blades 01-16-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starbuck (Post 1595094)
Ok a lot of advice being given is BAD advice .. I have extensive experience with the consequences of settling on a lesser charge .. No matter what, FIGHT IT... This is important because if you don't win completely (meaning no conviction of any kind), you will face insurance rate consequences on your next renewal. Believe me, points don't matter (is used by mto only), its the conviction that matters no matter how low they reduce the fine to. The extra insurance premium you pay for 3 years from the date of conviction will be far greater than any savings you could achieve with a reduced charge

4 years ..