maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1983 - 1991) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Pricing help svp (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154161)

e30svp 11-05-2012 11:32 AM

Pricing help svp

Hi guys,

New member here...

I am about to look at an 89 325i coupe with 85K on the clock, which the owner says has never been winter driven. Pics look good.

He is asking $5800 - is that a good price?

I am also trying to find out whether it's an IS - most of the 325i vs. 325IS info I am coming across is from Europe or the US. I don't know if it's the same for Canadian editions. I reckon, given our climate, BMW might've included LSD on all cars here. The car has a sunroof - I donno if that helps make the determination.

Looking forward to becoming part of the "BMW clan" - been a long time coming...

Cheers!

The Twin 11-05-2012 12:04 PM

post the vin and we can tell whether it's a I or IS....

also, $5800 for a unlmolested super low KM'd E30...provided the body is straight and rust free is a good deal.

e30svp 11-05-2012 08:22 PM

Thanks - will post the VIN after seeing the car, likely this coming weekend.

My thought is that even if the car is not an IS, I could always swap the pumpkin for an LSD unit.

Just to confirm: there were both 325i and 325is coupes in Canada that year?

frankie591 11-06-2012 07:32 AM

yeah all 325is models were 2-door, however you could get a 325i in a 2-door as well. Only real differences are sideskirts, rear spoiler and front wing.

The diff is dead easy to change, and you can pick up a good condition lsd for a few hundred dollars.

T.Dot_E30 11-06-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e30svp (Post 1588301)
Just to confirm: there were both 325i and 325is coupes in Canada that year?

Yes, they also did come with non-lsd diffs. But as others have said, it's an easy change.

$5.8k for a stock motor e30 is definitely on the high side, but given the low mileage and if it is in mint shape with original paint and no rust, the price can be justified because they are almost impossible to find in such shape.

Be careful and check all the facts, confirm the mileage and maintenance records. Things like if the motor was rebuilt or if it was repainted definitely de-value the car and can be used to talk the price down. Personally I don't attach much value to pain jane e30s, unless it's a late model 325is/318is with all options, imported euro bumper car or m-tech 2 it shouldn't fetch such premium IMO, atleast I wouldn't pay it, but it seems that others will, which is why the e30 market is such a crazy one.

e30svp 11-06-2012 10:46 AM

Thanks guys...

What about the suspension difference? The IS had an M-Tech suspension, no?

If I plan to put aftermarket springs, shocks, and sway bar anyway, does that even matter?

frankie591 11-06-2012 11:56 AM

spring rates and shocks were a bit stiffer in the is'es, but not a huge difference on handling. Chances are whatever car you end up buying will have the original suspension, so it will be in poor condition regardless. Like you said, just buy some springs and shocks when you get the car and you will be happy.

e30svp 11-07-2012 09:06 AM

Got some more info:

The guy said that the lower part of the car was repainted - cost him a couple of grand. I reckon he got it painted up to the molding...

Any reason why he would be prompted to do this i.e. is rust common in these areas for e30s? If so, does it make it not worth the price?

The car is out of town - will likely be seeing it this weekend, with magnet in hand...

T.Dot_E30 11-07-2012 10:26 AM

Sounds like it was a previous rust basket, def not worth the premium. 3-4k tops, even then i'm being generous.

lucidy 11-07-2012 07:11 PM

Hey man, if this is a white coupe from Montreal, I've seen the car and it's definitely not worth it. His odometer was not working, so the mileage is completely off. Also, the condition of the interior is not one that has seen 85k. The front seats had covers but were finished underneath. More like 200k+.

Anyways, if this is the car I have a lot more details.