maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ontario (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   POLICE safety inspection? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153918)

subarooo 10-21-2012 11:31 PM

POLICE safety inspection?

So i just got pulled over for being to "low". Ended up getting a road side inspection. He got me with a bunch of things but only ticketed me with no horn (easy fix). But hes making me go for a safety inspection on wednesday. He said im aloud to fix stuff before i go in, Only one issue. Im on bags, Whats the law about bags? Considering i made my own brackets and welded them on i think im screwed. Im pretty sure i can fix everything else, the horn, put my stock wheels on. But im not sure about the laws on bags, Im running a manual system, so if they over inflate they'll blow the sleeve up. So i have to tell them what im running. I also cant put the stock stuff back in. I had to cut the trailing arm apart to make it work.

Any help?

Car in question

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/a...78324005_n.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/a...90347474_n.jpg

1bmw1 10-22-2012 03:12 AM

Sorry to hear this happened to you. I guess the cop wasn't a car enthusiast lol.

Joking aside, They can't force you to put your car back on the road. If you can't get the things fixed on your car before Wednesday, i think you're entitled to let them know that you are not going to bring the car in because you don't have enough time to fix the issues therefore tell them you're prepared to have the car taken off the road until you can fix it. After that, i think you'll be ok to get it saftied and e-tested elsewhere and get it back on the road as if you would on your own.

propr'one 10-22-2012 11:26 AM

You can voluntarily decline the inspection (car's status will be changed to unfit). Then all you need is a safety to get it back on the road. I wouldn't recommend doing this often, they will catch on.

subarooo 10-22-2012 11:51 AM

Will they inspect it after i get the safety? I think a hot safety is my only choice at this point.

IChopCars 10-22-2012 04:30 PM

why dont you set the bags to a reasonable height and then disconnect the switchs. Just tell them that its an air suspension instead of your standard macpherson strut. Lots of vehicles come with airbag susension from the factory.

If not, like you said above. A non legit safety is the way to go.

dylanneon 10-22-2012 05:16 PM

yeah, technically adjustable air suspension is against the hta, but if you disconnect/hide the switches you may be able to get away with it. at this point it would come down to how much the tech knows about bmw and how professional the install looks.

subarooo 10-22-2012 07:10 PM

I can't remove the switches. All the air will drain out because im on a manual setup. And I'm pretty sure the guy who started "erace" is doing my inspection. I'm getting pretty nervous that it won't pass. Do I have to get a special safety after its deemed as unsafe?

SamE30e 10-23-2012 09:57 AM

It's not hard to pass a safety. If it doesn't pass a safety, then it's unsafe.

Getting a "fake safety" is stupid. Just make your car legal and that's that. If you bullshit your way to a fake safety then you're putting the technicians license at risk. Mind you, if they're a good tech, they won't pass it.

Read up on the safety legislation on air ride if that's all you're concerned about.

subarooo 10-23-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamE30e (Post 1586925)
It's not hard to pass a safety. If it doesn't pass a safety, then it's unsafe.

Getting a "fake safety" is stupid. Just make your car legal and that's that. If you bullshit your way to a fake safety then you're putting the technicians license at risk. Mind you, if they're a good tech, they won't pass it.

Read up on the safety legislation on air ride if that's all you're concerned about.

The car is safe, the only thing I'm nervous about are the bags. Nothing in the HTA says anything about air assiste suspension or ride hight.

Bullet Ride 10-23-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subarooo (Post 1586929)
The car is safe, the only thing I'm nervous about are the bags. Nothing in the HTA says anything about air assiste suspension or ride hight.

Talk to some VW guys. There's lots of them rolling around on bags. I'm sure some of them have had to do a safety at some point in time.

SamE30e 10-23-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subarooo (Post 1586929)

Then you have nothing to worry about. Just make sure everything is in order. If they say it fails because of the air ride. Ask to see the regulations against the infraction.

Your car doesn't even technically need lights to pass safety.

Eurostyle 10-23-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dylanneon (Post 1586859)
yeah, technically adjustable air suspension is against the hta, but if you disconnect/hide the switches you may be able to get away with it. at this point it would come down to how much the tech knows about bmw and how professional the install looks.

lots of cars come with stock airbags, including BMW and some of them are adjustable (Rangr Rover and older Subaru's) and they are legal!

Blades 10-23-2012 01:54 PM

My fathers old lincoln Mark 5 came STOCK on bags .. smoothest ride ever. I don't see how they can make one car legal on bags and another not. It must be only the height issue and that it is adjustable while driving (safety concern) if there was a way to hide the switches you should be ok.

SamE30e 10-23-2012 03:04 PM

Because you're modifying the factory suspension design. He said he made his own. Not saying his is shit, but some people have no idea what they're doing, making it unsafe. If I was on the highway and someone hit me as a result of something like this, I would lose it.

MANDD 10-23-2012 10:29 PM

Check out this link From York Regional Police.

www.yrp.ca/erase/side.htm