maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1983 - 1991) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   anybody know a place that will change brakelines? if so, specify price? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153263)

bimmere30 09-17-2012 06:21 PM

anybody know a place that will change brakelines? if so, specify price?

bump

SubDad 09-17-2012 09:33 PM

Oh well, since nobody's answering and for the sake of boosting my post count:

Any competent neighbourhood garage can change a brakeline, rigid or flexible. There's nothing magic about (non-competition) E30 brake lines.

Pick one close to you with the right amount of dirt on the floor and the right vintage of posters on the wall.

Don't go to a franchise place with carpeting; go to a place with a flaring tool, a roll of steel brake line on the wall and a couple of old guys near the counter.

karmatose 09-17-2012 09:41 PM

I'm not in the GTA, so I have no recommendation besides taking the opportunity to get some tools and do it yourself. These cars will nickle and dime you to death unless you get your hands dirty. When I put my car together this spring, I bent up the new steel lines on my trailing arms with a beer bottle and a stretch of pre-flared hard line from NAPA (because I'm lazy!).

Knowing how to do your own brake work will not only save you money, but knowing one of the most important parts of your car is functioning properly will give you huge piece of mind.

SubDad 09-17-2012 09:55 PM

Yeah, do it yourself, then get the neighbourhood garage to pressure bleed it for you.
Heck, get them to make up lines with the right length, flares and fittings and you can to a nice artistic job - better than a place would do for time and materials.

I carried a rear brake line home on the bus with me. I had them make the tight bends at one end for me and it was about 6 feet long. It was great fun, I felt like a shepherd in a nativity play.

'Course, then I discovered that they'd made up the line as the mirror image of what I needed. My fault or theirs, I dunno.

bimmere30 09-20-2012 04:15 PM

what is pressure bleeding? can you just turn the brake screw left and right have someone press the brake?

karmatose 09-20-2012 04:16 PM

Pressure bleeding is more or less doing it by yourself without having someone press on the brakes for you.

everlast 09-25-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubDad (Post 1582674)
Oh well, since nobody's answering and for the sake of boosting my post count:

Any competent neighbourhood garage can change a brakeline, rigid or flexible. There's nothing magic about (non-competition) E30 brake lines.

Pick one close to you with the right amount of dirt on the floor and the right vintage of posters on the wall.

Don't go to a franchise place with carpeting; go to a place with a flaring tool, a roll of steel brake line on the wall and a couple of old guys near the counter.

Excellent post. :)