maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   E30 questions for pre buy (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152794)

xsherix 08-23-2012 11:53 PM

E30 questions for pre buy

Hey guys. I'm looking at getting an e30, are there any specific problems I shoul look for? Anyone know of
Any good deals on an e30?

defaultName 08-24-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xsherix (Post 1579761)
any specific problems I shoul look for?

Rust!!!

InfiniteDice 08-24-2012 09:52 AM

Rust under the front lift points (behind the front wheel well. Rust above the rear license plate, around the plate lights. Rust on the rockers just ahead of the rear wheels. Rust in the battery tray area or the other side of the trunk where the jack goes. Bottom of doors. Sunroof rust - 70 - 100$ for a used replacement.

Another good thing to do is smell the carpet, and feel the carpet, if you feel moisture, you are almost guaranteed to have rust/holes under there.

The Rockers and the front lift points can be car killers, simply because people can't afford or don't have the time or tools to do it themselves. Skip these cars unless for parts, or if it's an extremely rare model.

If you see surface rust on the fenders hood or little dents here or there it's nothing to worry about, make note of them for adjusting the price but.

Remove the oil cap, check for a greenish tinged crud. A little white goo isn't bad that happens. remove coolant overflow cap, look for oil floating or at the bottom of the overflow container.

Run the car. note idle stability between 1100 and 750... depending on the temps.

Listen to the engine, the ticking is normal but listen for any offbeat ticks or knocks.

If it's manual shift in in and out of each gear, many linkages are old so if it's really wobbly you may need to put some money into it, just make sure it shifts.

Automatic - pray to the bimmer gods.

Check for brake pressure. From the outside of the car check the brake disc surfaces for heavy scarring or uneven wear, could mean a bad caliper.

Check all the power windows and the sunroof.

I could go on but generally if it drives at least as well as an older car, and there isn't rust holes in the rockers or the front jack points, then consider buying it.

InfiniteDice 08-24-2012 10:03 AM

Oh and don't skip the early models because of the 'diving board' bumpers. Not having to pass emissions more than makes up for bumpers you can fix or change out later.

cormier 08-24-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfiniteDice (Post 1579796)
Oh and don't skip the early models because of the 'diving board' bumpers. Not having to pass emissions more than makes up for bumpers you can fix or change out later.

+1 they look great swapped out and you may even grow to like them :)

There's a ton of great e30 deals going on -- check in the FS section here, kijiji and autotrader for more

MikeDsantos 08-24-2012 07:28 PM

i am also looking for an e30 and Every single one i have went to see so far will look clean from the body but under it is just full of Rust so look out for that never judge a book by its cover

Ceeker 08-24-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xsherix (Post 1579761)
Hey guys. I'm looking at getting an e30, are there any specific problems I shoul look for? Anyone know of
Any good deals on an e30?

out your way there may be no rust because they don't use salt there. but just in case. as mentioned the rust. 20+ year old body so expect some repair.

mechanical: timing belt waterpump service.
control arms and bushings
emerg brakes and kit

Just be prepared to spend money on one that is in good condition. If it is mint then you will most likely pay a premium.