maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Where to look for a house to rent? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152580)

blastedM3 08-11-2012 05:16 PM

Where to look for a house to rent?

Im looking to rent a house for my family and wanted to know which sites to look in?

tried kijiji but not too much luck.

thanks

sirex 08-11-2012 06:44 PM

why rent when you can BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY!

blastedM3 08-11-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirex (Post 1578191)
why rent when you can BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY!

I would love to buy but religion say's cant get involved with interest.

sirex 08-11-2012 07:04 PM

so, you are okay with paying interest to the landlord?

BigD 08-11-2012 07:45 PM

Yup, rent is a loan like anything else. You just have nothing to show for it in the end.

VSanj 08-11-2012 08:04 PM

get an agent or check on realtor.ca

lvan 08-11-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirex (Post 1578198)
so, you are okay with paying interest to the landlord?

It's not that black and white the way you are putting it. What about HST and downpayment and land transfer tax. Also not everyones like to buy with a small downpayment just to get a house and than get stuck working longhours. Some people just don't want to take a risk. We need more details to determine the best solution.

bmwm5lover 08-12-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blastedM3 (Post 1578196)
I would love to buy but religion say's cant get involved with interest.

I am sorry, but I nearly threw up from laughing.

NOTORIOUS VR 08-12-2012 02:17 PM

It's not always worth it to buy over renting

Deep 3.2TL 08-12-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwm5lover (Post 1578260)
I am sorry, but I nearly threw up from laughing.

I believe it's an islamic thing... don't buy what you don't have the money for kinda thing.

Agree with it for some stuff - just not a house or car... Not Muslim myself, but people wouldn't get themselves into trouble if they did that with more stuff in their lives...

One would have to spend their lives working to afford a house without a mortgage - and all the while the market was increasing...

lvan 08-12-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL (Post 1578284)
I believe it's an islamic thing... don't buy what you don't have the money for kinda thing.

Agree with it for some stuff - just not a house or car... Not Muslim myself, but people wouldn't get themselves into trouble if they did that with more stuff in their lives...

One would have to spend their lives working to afford a house without a mortgage - and all the while the market was increasing...

Honestly, I have seen that in many religions. I am sure there are better reason why people do not want to buy. The future in Toronto is very unceratin. There is no money for subways and what not, but you have too many people here. So people just want to have some options. Also I know lots of people that lost money in realestate. One thing that I find funny, everyone brags when they make money on their house, but the ones that get burned, they keep quiet. Also as asian countries step up their game, many tend to go back. I am sure we have many indian and chinese going back.

Deep 3.2TL 08-12-2012 05:45 PM

I don't know ANY Indians that went back personally...

lvan 08-12-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL (Post 1578292)
I don't know ANY Indians that went back personally...

I know a few but I would keep an eye on China. Not that long ago, I saw on canadian tv some medium size town in China where chinese investors came from Usa and Canada to invest. It looked as nice houses that we have on the outskirts. Basically they just want to hang onto them as long as they can. I am confident as Toronto gets stuck with ageing metro that can not handle the traffic, and houses reach all time high, it will be harder to to make money on the houses like back in the days. On top of that, the city is short on cash, and they are taxing you like never before. I still think it's a good place to buy if you can afford it, but there are better places to make more cash.

Deep 3.2TL 08-12-2012 06:04 PM

Still a firm believer in buying - wouldn't rent unless I had no choice.

Axxe 08-12-2012 06:29 PM

Renting is good for short term or starting out. Not everyone is comfortable with sharing a house with 3+ other families like certain folk do. Besides, if people didn't rent, then I wouldn't be able to have investment properties. So renting is great!