maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   London, Ontario **NEW** (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   wanted to clean: dirty rims (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152485)

sooze30 08-06-2012 02:54 PM

wanted to clean: dirty rims

This does sound a little wacko, but yesterday I cleaned my bottle caps with something not intended for car wheels, especially baked-on brake dust.

This isn't some sales pitch, I won't be selling the stuff. I want some kind soul to come to my house so I can clean their rims. I want to see how it does on really bad brake dust. The kind we see all over: a brown, orangey tinge to otherwise decent wheels. It also removed little hunks of tar!

It is an aerosol, water based, non-toxic cleaning product intended for gunky build-up on baseboards. I decided to try it on my car because nothing else was working and I didn't want to spend an hour on each wheel.

I wish I'd taken some before/after pics.

I know this sounds crazy, but I'm curious. I want to see if this product has other uses, because I make it where I work and to find another use would be cool. I just want to be sure before I bring it to the engineers/marketers for them to try. It is a 3M product.

Bring me some dirty rims!
Susanne

pm me for my address, number, etc. thanks!

crxgsr 08-07-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sooze30 (Post 1577542)
yesterday I cleaned my bottle caps with something not intended for car wheels, especially baked-on brake dust.

After reading your message, I still haven't determined if the outcome was good or bad. You only wrote "I wish I'd taken some before/after pics." fcplm

What was the result of your experiment? :confused:

sooze30 09-09-2012 11:20 AM

The outcome was definitely good! I want to clean someone else's wheels and take before / after pics. Can't believe how well it worked.

Oh well. You guys are just too meticulous I guess. ;)

R2D2 03-18-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sooze30 (Post 1577542)
This does sound a little wacko, but yesterday I cleaned my bottle caps with something not intended for car wheels, especially baked-on brake dust.

This isn't some sales pitch, I won't be selling the stuff. I want some kind soul to come to my house so I can clean their rims. I want to see how it does on really bad brake dust. The kind we see all over: a brown, orangey tinge to otherwise decent wheels. It also removed little hunks of tar!

It is an aerosol, water based, non-toxic cleaning product intended for gunky build-up on baseboards. I decided to try it on my car because nothing else was working and I didn't want to spend an hour on each wheel.

I wish I'd taken some before/after pics.

I know this sounds crazy, but I'm curious. I want to see if this product has other uses, because I make it where I work and to find another use would be cool. I just want to be sure before I bring it to the engineers/marketers for them to try. It is a 3M product.

Bring me some dirty rims!
Susanne

pm me for my address, number, etc. thanks!

whats the secret 3m product?