maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Post-Overheating Discovery! (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152456)

limenuke 08-03-2012 11:19 PM

Post-Overheating Discovery!

Hey guys,

So I found out that:

1) My engine is fine after overheating.
2) My cooling system isn't.

The first time I overheated, it was because the fan had jammed against the the cooling hose which runs across the top of the fan shroud. The hose got pulled off its mount and I lost all my coolant. On top of that, the hose caught the fan and basically jammed it. That was bad. I didn't know what would cause that so I just ziptied the hose back onto the shroud, got a new fan and fixed the shroud to the radiator with a screw + nut, thinking it was the shroud coming loose off the radiator.

Today, the fan exploded while I was driving it back after it was parked. Immediately before it was parked, I was teaching someone how to drive stick and they had come close to stalling the car several times (jostling the engine). The heavy jostling + probably worn motor mounts probably drove the fan blades back into the hose, causing it to jam once more and snap all the blades off...

Thinking about it, the first time the overheating happened was shortly after I was teaching the same person how to drive manual.

So I guess my question + moral of the story is:

1) Is there a safe and proper way (besides replacing the shroud) to tuck away that coolant hose that runs across the top of the shroud, if the tabs on the shroud are gone?

2) How much is it to install new motor mounts? Could that be the reason why my fan managed to move enough to jam into my coolant hose?

3) Don't let your old ass car be hack-driven by a person learning to drive manual!

Ceeker 08-04-2012 01:41 AM

maybe you should fix your car properly the first time to avoid this situation from actually happening twice? Hack driven? or hack car? Sorry man, but that isn't a good enough excuse. Those were problems waiting to happen.

worn mounts or broken mounts are obviously causing the motor to tilt under load enough to physically dislodge the hose and cause problems. then you are gonna run into that problem or another again.

so now you're up to bat a potential third time. fix it right the first time. start from the source..the mounts and work from there.

limenuke 08-04-2012 02:53 AM

True! Well, I wasn't quite aware of the issue the first time, but now that it has made itself clear again recently, I'm going to deal with it properly.

davericher20 08-04-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceeker (Post 1577386)
maybe you should fix your car properly the first time to avoid this situation from actually happening twice? Hack driven? or hack car? Sorry man, but that isn't a good enough excuse. Those were problems waiting to happen.

worn mounts or broken mounts are obviously causing the motor to tilt under load enough to physically dislodge the hose and cause problems. then you are gonna run into that problem or another again.

so now you're up to bat a potential third time. fix it right the first time. start from the source..the mounts and work from there.

Ruthless!

Ceeker 08-04-2012 12:29 PM

yeah..facts are the facts...nothing personal. :-)

someguy 09-14-2012 02:05 PM

Ouch...but I agree, fix it once, the right way, and you won't have problems. I would be especially careful with the cooling system as we know that these cars are very sensitive to overheating and cooling system issues are not uncommon.

iverson03tj 10-18-2012 10:30 AM

Do it one time.... and Do it right! especially when it comes to the e36 cooling system...

SamE30e 10-18-2012 04:47 PM

Yes your engine mounts could cause your fan to come into contact with your rad or hoses, and it would be quite obvious that the engine mounts were damaged or worn to that point.

And there is a specific routing for rad hoses.