maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Track Junkies (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   E36 Track car build 325/M3 (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152334)

anth72 07-27-2012 10:16 PM

E36 Track car build 325/M3

4 Attachment(s)
I'm new to this site but I stumbled on an E36 track car for sale about a month ago and bought it off this site. So I figured I would document my build of the car.

Car is a 1995 325 with an M3 OBDI motor.
- Neo Motorsport Green suspension
- 4 point cage
- 17" x8 OZ Superleggera wheels with Toyo RA1 tires
- OMP seats
- LTW wing

I'm not a BMW expert yet so there might actually be some other goodies on the car that I don't recognize yet.

Plan for the car:
- 8 point roll cage installed this fall
- upgrade suspension bushings
- upgrade brakes

The list isn't big right now but all work will be done by me and my racing buddy so we can only do so much lol Hopefully we can get the cage in by the end of the year and then work on getting rid of the graphics and paint it gloss black. We plan to do some Time Attack racing in 2013 and upgrade some parts in between races.

Here are some pics of the progress so far.

craz azn 07-27-2012 10:32 PM

That car looked like a good buy on paper, congrats man! Hope to see you out there on track soon! Come to Mosport tomorrow to check out some of the BMW content and get some ideas :)

anth72 07-27-2012 10:39 PM

I'd love to come out tomorrow but I'm out of town for the weekend. Yeah the car seems to be pretty good. Unfortunately I thought it came with M3 brakes but I later found out that they are 325 brakes. Oh well lol Live and learn.

DItalianJob 07-28-2012 10:07 AM

"Plan for the car:
- 8 point roll cage installed this fall
- upgrade suspension bushings
- upgrade brakes"

Nice car.
Plan for the car should be to DRIVE IT !

I would safety inspect it, put fresh fluids, and check the brake pads are over half... then get it on track.

Have you taken it out yet ?

For Time Attack, the more time behind the wheel the better.

cormier 07-28-2012 11:41 AM

:eek: why you rip the dash apart!

jk *wave*

lookin good man -- you havent run it at all yet eh?

Theres tons of inspiration on this site -- a few other track car builds going on as well

davericher20 07-28-2012 11:54 AM

Nice pick up! Looks like it was wrapped? Or is that paint?

cormier 07-28-2012 01:40 PM

Ya I was gonna say i really like the color that's on there

anth72 07-30-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davericher20 (Post 1576543)
Nice pick up! Looks like it was wrapped? Or is that paint?

I thought it was wrapped too but it's actually paint. Seems to be some sort of vinyl or rubberized paint. When I peel the stickers off the matt paint peels off with it and the original gloss black Schwartz 2 is underneath. I'll most likely peel all the matt off and bring the original colour back to life.

I haven't driven it yet except down the street. I'm in no rush to race it this year. I'm more concerned with getting it safe right now. Hence the 8 point cage and I will need a Hans and fire rated gear. Fire extinguisher system will be going in as well. Big fall/winter/spring project on my hands lol

I still need to finish reading the Dakar Track Car Build. On page 15 or so lol

exbmwtech 07-30-2012 07:36 PM

Feel free to take a look at my cage for ideas.

sb_600 07-30-2012 11:02 PM

Nice buy! The 325 brakes will be fine. Just get a good set of pads and some good fluid and you'll be fine. The "paint" is probably plasti-dip. I tried painting mine the same colour with John Deere blitz black and it turned out awesome... Until I crashed lol. Feel free to ask any questions-there are a few of us o. Here with e36 track cars now (my thread is in the Ottawa section).

Have fun!

anth72 07-31-2012 08:09 PM

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I've already learned tons from this website and still have a few more track car build threads to go through. The dash should be taken apart in the next couple weeks and then we are going to mock up the cage.

jon.e 08-02-2012 09:04 AM

Nice car! I'm building a sedan myself!
Looks like a nice find! Gluck. See you out there next year!