maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   E36 Sweaky Steering Column (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151684)

Pedro 06-22-2012 12:26 AM

E36 Sweaky Steering Column
 
Does anyone know how to correct a Sweaky Steering Column on a high milage E36? Sometimes it also stiffens up when turning and the return is not that swift.

doogee 06-22-2012 05:12 AM

There is a spring on the shaft right by the brake booster. You need to grease it up. Either use some spray lube, or if you can reach your hand down there, use some grease.

It can be hard to get to. Looks like this:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...werspindle.jpg

NOTORIOUS VR 06-26-2012 09:34 AM

I'm confused, you say it's by the brake booster but that diagram looks like the steering column where the wheels attaches to.

Either way I have the same issue (the squeaking not the binding) and it's freaking annoying... in my situation it's def coming from right behind the wheel, I'm going to have to take that C lip off and try to lube it all up... lubing it with that assembly together didn't do shit for me.

doogee 06-26-2012 09:37 AM

Don't take anything inside apart.

The squeak always sounds like its directly behind the steering wheel but it comes from the firewall area. I know it's really hard to believe.

NOTORIOUS VR 06-26-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doogee (Post 1572716)
Don't take anything inside apart.

The squeak always sounds like its directly behind the steering wheel but it comes from the firewall area. I know it's really hard to believe.

wow... ok.. are you talking in the engine bay by the booster or on the inside of the firewall?

Axxe 07-04-2012 11:04 PM

^ Yeah, engine bay side. Bottom of the steering column. Mine started squeeking again, lasted 40k squeek free, and I just sprayed it with lithium grease in a can. Going to try waxed chain lube next, should repel the dirt and keep the squeak away longer.

sproule905 07-05-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe (Post 1573681)
^ Yeah, engine bay side. Bottom of the steering column. Mine started squeeking again, lasted 40k squeek free, and I just sprayed it with lithium grease in a can. Going to try waxed chain lube next, should repel the dirt and keep the squeak away longer.

Make sure the parts are warm before. I moto and all chain wax requires warm parts to adhere to

Axxe 07-05-2012 02:21 PM

^ Really? I use chain wax on my bicycle and have always used it cold (no real way to heat up the chain appreciably unless I baked it). Maybe I'll just throw the needle on the grease gun and jam it up there and give it all the graphite grease it can take. Such a PITA issue.

sproule905 07-05-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe (Post 1573744)
^ Really? I use chain wax on my bicycle and have always used it cold (no real way to heat up the chain appreciably unless I baked it). Maybe I'll just throw the needle on the grease gun and jam it up there and give it all the graphite grease it can take. Such a PITA issue.

Probably overkill that it would fling off in your application. And also on the bicycle. Think of the rpm's a motocross bikes chain endurs. I've just noticed from a motocross POV, if it's cold, it will just fling off

MANDD 07-06-2012 06:55 PM

Steering Shaft
 
Squeak noise, stiff when turning? Sounds like the U joint (seized) on the steering shaft, quite common.

This is fitted in the engine compartment from firewall to rack.

BMW 32 31 1 159 866

Mark.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.