maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   e46 m3 upgrading to e92 m3 (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151660)

jenn 06-20-2012 10:56 PM

e46 m3 upgrading to e92 m3

hey guys. Im a bit confused. I have an e46 m3. dinan stage 1 chip. dinan full exhaust, headers, coilovers. I have read sooo many posts comparing the two, and in each comparison, e90 prevails.
I have just test driven 08 m3 coupe, manual. and the car feels heavy and slow in comparison. My m3 provides a real sports car feel, responsive, and amazing handing. I had the POWER mode on and traction disabled.
Mind you the drive was for just a few minutes, but i have had many cars i the initial feel is important.
Whats the deal?
DO i have to put tons of money to have the e92 feel sportier?

BMWdouche 06-26-2012 10:45 AM

The E92 would murder the E46 around a track. A car can "feel" faster/sportier without actually being any faster/sportier. Especially since you have coils, the initial reaction would be that the e92 is softer.. that doesn't mean its slower. A few examples:

- I switched from RFT's to V12's... My initial reaction was "shit my car feels slow as shit and squishy"... took it to the track and I could get 20-30km/h faster entries into the corners with minimal squeal. Whereas the RFT's made the car "FEEL" sportier and faster it wasn't.. it was just rougher.

- Power delivery is also key - a VW GTi feels faster than my car because of the turbo.. but it really isnt.

Bottom line is that the e92 would rape the e46 as most newer model BMW's usually do to their older counterparts.

EMPOWERD 06-26-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWdouche (Post 1572723)
The E92 would murder the E46 around a track. A car can "feel" faster/sportier without actually being any faster/sportier. Especially since you have coils, the initial reaction would be that the e92 is softer.. that doesn't mean its slower. A few examples:

Bottom line is that the e92 would rape the e46 as most newer model BMW's usually do to their older counterparts.

I know for a fact that E92 M3's do NOT "rape or murder" E46 M3's around a track. Stock for stock, the newer car may be 2-4 sec/lap ahead (at Mosport GP), but a slightly modded E46 M3 (such as yours) will definitely hold it's own. In fact, E92 M3's have a hard time keeping up to my M3! I've driven quite a few V8 M3's and completely agree with you about their lumbering torque-less feel. Even my wife's modded (MarkD tune & exhaust) 335i feels fat & numb compared to any E46 M3. Simply put, the newer M3 is a fantastic car for everyday use and the odd track event. The V8 sound is fantastic, but the interior fit & finish pales compared to the older, solid E46 chassis. Personally, I would love to swap that S85 V8 into my E46 chassis!