maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Windsor, Ontario **NEW** (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Speaking of e tests (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150963)

c_gouin 05-19-2012 05:07 PM

Speaking of e tests

Hey Guys,

Haven't been on much, but decided to catch up today. Had my 330 at Nick's over at Euro Motors for an inspection I last week and i had him take care of my e test for me. From what we were talking, E test's are being changed starting in Jan 2013. If the car has a check engine, it fails right away. New machine, no more dyno, Camera watching the inspector do the test right in the bay. the inspector has to take pictures of the vin, plate and car before he can proceed with the test. Sounds like it is getting quite strict. So if you need an etest do it before January. haha

Just thought i would give the heads up.

Nerk 05-23-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c_gouin (Post 1566980)
Hey Guys,

Haven't been on much, but decided to catch up today. Had my 330 at Nick's over at Euro Motors for an inspection I last week and i had him take care of my e test for me. From what we were talking, E test's are being changed starting in Jan 2013. If the car has a check engine, it fails right away. New machine, no more dyno, Camera watching the inspector do the test right in the bay. the inspector has to take pictures of the vin, plate and car before he can proceed with the test. Sounds like it is getting quite strict. So if you need an etest do it before January. haha

Just thought i would give the heads up.

Uhoh... my CEL has been on in my pontiac vibe for the last 3 years... it does have a funny idle, but passed the E-test with flying colours last time I had it done with the CEL on... how does a CEL validate an automated fail? If anything the code is telling me I'm running lean, so I'm actually using less gas, which means,.. lower emissions... right?

dblack 05-23-2012 03:00 PM

I heard about this the other day when getting my shop's truck e-tested. And yes, a check engine light will be an automatic fail when the new rules come into play.

I have the reset tool for e36's if anyone needs this done.

Nerk 05-25-2012 05:48 PM

Oh I think I'm in luck... I'll need to get my e-test done in November this year... this doesn't take effect until 2013 right?

as for my bimmer, well its an '87.. EXEMPT! :)

propr'one 05-26-2012 02:07 AM

Are they gonna plug the cars in finally? SWIM has wired up so many bullshit CEL bulbs...

PedroBMW 05-26-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propr'one (Post 1567936)
Are they gonna plug the cars in finally? SWIM has wired up so many bullshit CEL bulbs...

That's my #1 question as well, but haven't heard yet. If they are gonna plug in to the OBD2 port and check for readiness liek they do in california... things definitely just got alot harder for anyone running a standalone *thmbsdwn*

c_gouin 05-27-2012 01:56 PM

Yes they are going to plug into the OBD and check for readiness monitors. Camera's will be watching the inspectors so head office can monitor and make sure no funny business is going on. Things are going to get harder