maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Time to breathe some life into this section! (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150958)

e30_kid89 05-19-2012 10:29 AM

Time to breathe some life into this section!

I notice that there are very little/almost turbocharged bmws around the GTA. Why? No idea! I must admit for a first timer planning/building a setup may be difficult due to making the setup perform the way desired, getting the right parts, taking into consideration EVERYTHING needed to make it all work...etc etc. In an attempt to maybe encourage the next guy who may be interested in some boosts in their life I'll include a few things to read up on from Garrett to getting an overall understanding of a turbo system.

Turbo Tech 101 (basic)

-Intro
-Blow-off valves
-Wastegates
-Oil/Water plumbing
-Journal bearing vs Ball-bearing

Turbo Tech (advanced)

-Wheel trim
-Turbine housing A/R sizing
-Exhaust manifold styles
-Compression ratio with boost
-Air/Fuel ratio (AFR) tuning: "rich" ratio vs "lean"

Turbo Tech (Expert)

-Compressor maps
-Pressure ratio
-Mass flow rate
-Surge line
-Choke line
-Turbo speed lines
-Efficiency lslands
-Plotting points on compressor maps

Once you get through those you SHOULD have a pretty good handle on a turbo system. There are still a ton of other things realated to a turbo setup like boost control, chemical intercooling and such. You can go read up on those yourself to understand more :) If you have any other turbo related question to turbocharging our BMWs ask in this thread and i'll try to answer as much as I can.

Good luck and happy boosting!*uzi*

Axxe 05-21-2012 08:15 PM

What have you got in your setup? Care to share the details? And power numbers? I'm sure there are a lot of curious people out there wondering what the little green ti is running.

NOTORIOUS VR 05-22-2012 12:47 AM

good post!

Bullet Ride 05-22-2012 08:11 AM

Yeah, the FI section on max doesn't get very much traffic, there's only a hand full of people with boosted cars who are active members.

I do like your idea though, the more useful information there is in this section, the more likely it is that people will stop by.

What we really need though is some more build threads *par-t*

NOTORIOUS VR 05-22-2012 11:45 AM

I'll have to be honest... Maxbimmer isn't the place for performance... I've posted up numerous performance related threads... they mainly just fall to the bottom...

People here would rather talk about politics and stupid crap like gas stations.

e30_kid89 05-22-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe (Post 1567145)
What have you got in your setup? Care to share the details? And power numbers? I'm sure there are a lot of curious people out there wondering what the little green ti is running.

I would share details on my setup but like Notorious VR said (and this thread is a classic example of it) not much care about the "technical" side of things, just the end result (HP) and the cost, lol. I figured i'd share what I've learned over the years with boosting now 3 different BMW engines by linking those articles and after if somebody has a question regarding a bmw turbo setup i'd be able to chime in and help em out.

I'm not really a build thread guy(i pretty much never stop to take pics) but i might have a few things here and there to share*wave*

Axxe 05-23-2012 01:33 AM

Yeah, but there are the select few that do care *th-up*

Eurostyle 05-23-2012 02:16 AM

I hear some pretty serious things about that Ti!!!*th-up*

NOTORIOUS VR 05-23-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eurostyle (Post 1567349)
I hear some pretty serious things about that Ti!!!*th-up*

My interest has been peeked as well now..

ti? what happened with the E30 M30 turbo? gone or is the ti a 2nd project? *rockout*

Bullet Ride 05-23-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR (Post 1567377)
My interest has been peeked as well now..

ti? what happened with the E30 M30 turbo? gone or is the ti a 2nd project? *rockout*

No more E30 turbo. He sold his turbo set-up from the M30 to Canducker (who bought Abustaif's M30'ed E30)

El Gato Liso 05-23-2012 12:42 PM

got a ride in this green ti on the weekend. ****in. awesome. that is all...

definition of sleeper.

NOTORIOUS VR 05-23-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullet Ride (Post 1567386)
No more E30 turbo. He sold his turbo set-up from the M30 to Canducker (who bought Abustaif's M30'ed E30)

Winning... that E30 was begging to be turbo'd... it had the looks just needed the muscle.

The Ti sounds interesting! :cool:

honeydew 06-19-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR (Post 1567459)
...that E30 was begging to be turbo'd...

My Brother just got an E30 325ci that is "begging to be turbo'd". The body is super mint Red on Black Leather. I saw your post and LOL'd knowingly..

Bullet Ride 06-19-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeydew (Post 1571676)
My Brother just got an E30 325ci that is "begging to be turbo'd". The body is super mint Red on Black Leather. I saw your post and LOL'd knowingly..

Is it that red vert that was for sale here on Max?
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149238

honeydew 06-19-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullet Ride (Post 1571677)
Is it that red vert that was for sale here on Max?
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149238

No, no. His is very stock, stock wheels, stock springs, hardtop.