maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1983 - 1991) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   e-test help (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150763)

Tyman 05-10-2012 03:57 AM

e-test help
 
i currently have no cats on my car and dont have the money to spend on welding new ones in so i was wondering if anybody knows someone that will pass me without cats ;)

Ceeker 05-10-2012 06:26 AM

First of all ,do you think anyone is that stupid to admit it on this forum? sheesh. and further to this..what do you think someone is going to charge you to RISK their drive clean license..?

nab24- 05-10-2012 07:45 AM

Can't you just register it as a "Hot Rod" or something then the etest is different I think. My buddy has a 240sx with a sr20 running straight pipe and he registered it as a hot rod I'm pretty sure.

goldhawk 05-10-2012 08:56 AM

Any car older then 1999 can be registered as a hot rod if it has any driveline part on it that wasn't originally available on the car (this can be as simple as a new diff). I think its up to the discretion of the inspecting tech though.

everlast 05-10-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldhawk (Post 1565219)
Any car older then 1999 can be registered as a hot rod if it has any driveline part on it that wasn't originally available on the car (this can be as simple as a new diff). I think its up to the discretion of the inspecting tech though.

Not quite:

Quote:

“hot rod” means a motor vehicle in which the original motor has been replaced with a motor of a type not installed by the manufacturer on that model of motor vehicle for the model year designated for the motor vehicle by the manufacturer;
Quote:

(2) A hot rod that receives a motor replacement on or after January 1, 1999, shall receive a motor designed to meet emission standards at least as stringent as those achieved by the original motor with all its original emission control equipment attached and functioning, and the replacement motor shall have the original catalytic converter and all the original emission control equipment, or equivalent replacements, included or usually included with the replacement motor by the manufacturer of the motor. O. Reg. 361/98, s. 4 (2); O. Reg. 86/99, s. 3.
So, "hot rod" status doesn't work. I spoke to the Driveclean call center about this. They now get shops to test for either the car body year, or the motor swapped vehicle year, whichever is more stringent.

Honestly, just get some cats.

T.Dot_E30 05-10-2012 09:38 AM

Get cats put on your car, there is no reason why you should have them.

Not sure how you can afford to have a 2.8 swap but not afford to make your car legal.

goldhawk 05-10-2012 10:03 AM

Oh... I see...
I've never seen the rules first hand, just passing along what I was told (by a tech)

Tyman 05-10-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceeker (Post 1565205)
First of all ,do you think anyone is that stupid to admit it on this forum? sheesh. and further to this..what do you think someone is going to charge you to RISK their drive clean license..?

im hoping less than what it would cost to buy and have them installed

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 (Post 1565228)
Get cats put on your car, there is no reason why you should have them.

Not sure how you can afford to have a 2.8 swap but not afford to make your car legal.

they didnt come with the car when i bought it, and i got the car really cheap with the swap already done

Bullet Ride 05-10-2012 12:48 PM

Just find someone who will let you borrow their stock exhaust system for the test :rolleyes:

ac_2007 05-10-2012 01:01 PM

Register the car with friends/relatives living in Northern Ontario

Tyman 05-10-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullet Ride (Post 1565269)
Just find someone who will let you borrow their stock exhaust system for the test :rolleyes:

i never even thought about that, does anyone have one lying around for e-test that i can borrow, also would the exhaust layout be the same as an m20?

Thermal 05-16-2012 09:44 PM

Just put a bounce sheet in your tail pipe. Should pass no problem :rolleyes:

MBrown 05-17-2012 12:27 AM

buy a used exhaust if possible.
if someone is willing to let you borrow theirs, even better.

MaxBell 05-17-2012 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermal (Post 1566482)
Just put a bounce sheet in your tail pipe. Should pass no problem :rolleyes:

:D fcplm

T.Dot_E30 05-17-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyman (Post 1565267)
they didnt come with the car when i bought it, and i got the car really cheap with the swap already done

Well then your car isn't road legal, you should have considered the costs of making it road legal before purchasing it.
Getting cats welded in should not cost much. Take it to an exhaust shop.

Sell the car, buy something you can afford. Sorry the truth hurts.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.