maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Detailing & Care (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   M5 wraped Matte Black (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150581)

Trimline 05-02-2012 02:23 PM

M5 wraped Matte Black

5 Attachment(s)
This is a '09 M5 that we recently wrapped in 3M 1080 Matte black.
charged $4500K for the job. Plus $700 for the rims to have them powdercoated in Black.
I'm pretty happy the way that it turned out. It took about 4 days to get done completely.

What do you think?

The customer seemed pretty happy with it which is all that matters in the end.

The install comes with a 2yr warranty from 3M and a 3yr warranty from us against peeling and lifting.

HansW 05-02-2012 02:42 PM

Interesting post. I have been considering doing mine in a Frozen Gray or maybe Matte Black as well. It looks like you did a nice job. If you still have the clients number, tell him to get matte front kidneys and the M5 side markers, they stand out like a sore thumb now.

do you have any more pics of this car after the job was done? I'd like to see some more angles etc.

Trimline 05-02-2012 02:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
nope. I only took the one when it was in the parking lot before he took off.
We do about 2-3 a month like this but wrap about 2 trucks a week so we have the experience.
I did a matte grey mini awhile ago and another matte black lotus.
those are attached.

cormier 05-02-2012 03:19 PM

Sorry, not too versed in body stuff... What the benefit or cons of having this done over a paint job? Very nice result though.

Trimline 05-02-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cormier (Post 1563805)
Sorry, not too versed in body stuff... What the benefit or cons of having this done over a paint job? Very nice result though.

in this case, it was a just a 'cheaper' alternative to a colour change. I'm doing a 2012 M5 next week and he's doing that since it offers some protection for the paint. I'll post some pics once we get it going.

c-bass 05-02-2012 08:55 PM

That looks badass!

What is involved in removing it?

ChrisTO 05-02-2012 09:11 PM

All i can think of is...."I'm Batman"

Blackedout95 05-02-2012 09:27 PM

Cool, curious about removal process as well, any chance of scratches upon removal?

Trimline 05-03-2012 10:51 AM

the removal isn't too hard.. but it takes an industrial strength heatgun and a bucket of patience. We charge $50/hr to remove.
On some cars such as Ferraris, it's easy to lift the paint when removing it (and it cost us about $2500 to learn that lesson).
the 3M 1080 line has a micro thatch backing which allows air in easier when removing so the chances of pulling paint is less.

though the 3M clear bra material does not and it can be really tough to remove.

There won't be any scratches upon removal unless you're using something sharp to lift the film with. We use soft plastic tools especially made for the process.

HansW 05-03-2012 11:11 AM

Wow, doesn't really make me want to run out and wrap my car now.

golf_hero 05-12-2012 11:35 PM

Looks great.

Got me thinking about doing my M6 now. How hard is it to take care of? I know I shouldn't but I use touchless car washes all the time. Any problems to maintain and safe with standard carwashes?

Trimline 05-16-2012 07:29 PM

soap and water is the best bet. There are vinyl soaps available too.
touchless car washes are probably the worst as they have high pressure that can lift and peel the vinyl.
hand washing is always best or the coin-op washes that you do yourself.. but be careful with high power and corners.