maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1983 - 1991) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Clutch or tranny issues? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150458)

subarooo 04-27-2012 08:54 PM

Clutch or tranny issues?

Alright so i fixed all my previous issues if you've seen my post. Replaced a worn out bushing off my shifter plate and now everythings back together and working. Before i took it apart i couldn't get it in reverse, first, and it grinded going in second. So i took the guibo cover off and that fixed the grinding and reverse issues.

On a cold start the car seems to shift decent. You still have to pull it pretty hard into second but it does go. Then as i drive it for a while it gets harder to get into reverse, first and second.

Also if i accelerate high in second and sometimes first then engage the clutch it doesn't seem to go. Just kinda holds its rpms till i pull it into neutral. This car is becoming less fun to drive as i get further into it.

Any help would be awesome.

BTW it has a B and M "rep" ss kit.

mr ilia 04-27-2012 11:07 PM

No joke man, but change the gearbox oil. Sounds like, the oil you have in in the gearbox now is too heavy. The oil type greatly affects the shifting and operation of the gear syncros.

subarooo 04-27-2012 11:09 PM

Not the tranny fluid? Also sitting still i revved it high with the clutch in (in first) and a second after it jumped forward.

fiasco 04-27-2012 11:20 PM

bleed the clutch slave cylinder. if that doesn't work put a new transmission, i think your gears inside the transmission is worn out.

mr ilia 04-27-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subarooo (Post 1562952)
Not the tranny fluid? Also sitting still i revved it high with the clutch in (in first) and a second after it jumped forward.

The fluid inside the tranny needs to be changed to something proper. And, while you're there, also have mechanic to check your clutch.

JINT 04-28-2012 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr ilia (Post 1562951)
No joke man, but change the gearbox oil. Sounds like, the oil you have in in the gearbox now is too heavy. The oil type greatly affects the shifting and operation of the gear syncros.

I doubt that. He says it shifts decent on cold, than warms the fluid and it shifts worse. When the fluid warms up it's becomes thinner, therefore it's supposed to go in gears easier not harder. Common problem on most bmw's, 2nd gear goes in hard on cold.

IMO: You have an issue in the flywheel/pressure plate/clutch area. Don't know to be exact. As for your short shift kit, if it's too short and you have it for a while, you probably worn your syncros abit by now.

1. Check your slave, bleed if needed.
2. If slave is good, take the transmission off and check clutch assembly.
3. If clutch is fine, look for a gearbox.

subarooo 05-02-2012 09:34 PM

Slave is leaking and it almost looks like the tranny is leaking in 2 spots (both seals). So im buying a used tranny next week and ill do the seals on it before its in. Anything else i should do when im down there and every things out?

cormier 05-02-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subarooo (Post 1563870)
Anything else i should do when im down there and every things out?

slave, clutch hose, tranny fluid, guibo, CSB, mounts, clutch/PP/flywheel, input shaft seal, TO bearing, pivot pin/clip.... Prolly more lol any/all of the above if needed