maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1998 - 2005) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Summer tires or All season? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150103)

Shanbo 04-13-2012 11:39 PM

Summer tires or All season?

Hi,

Beggining of last winter my all seaon tire was worn out, so I got 4 winter tires. now the summer is here soon, i need to get them swithced out.

I'm puzzled as to if I should get all seaon tires or summer tires, and which brand and model should I get. I don' need top of the line performance tires, just a reliable tire for everyday driving.

Also, if i get the summer tires, do I need to buy new rims? cuz for some reason I believe all summer tires required bigger than 16" rims because they are thinner.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!*th-up*

Eurostyle 04-14-2012 01:02 AM

I just got in a set of like new Michellins with OEM aluminum rims if you are interested. Tires are 98% new, and rims are 9.5/10, so you dont have to swap out every season...*th-up*

PS, they are stock 16" 7 spoke.

jabela 04-14-2012 02:18 AM

Go with summer tires on a new set of rims. You can easily pickup used OEM rims for less than $400

crxgsr 04-14-2012 10:13 AM

don't listen to these people.

See what you value most.

Summer tires will give you maximum grip and fun. They stick to the ground when it's warm out side. But the downside is they don't last very long. Average is about 2.5 years.

All season tires give you a compromise and will grip even in the slightly colder temperatures. A good set of all season tires should last about 3-4 years. So you get the most "value" out of your money.

It all depends on what you want. long life or better traction.

Shanbo 04-14-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crxgsr (Post 1560168)
don't listen to these people.

See what you value most.

Summer tires will give you maximum grip and fun. They stick to the ground when it's warm out side. But the downside is they don't last very long. Average is about 2.5 years.

All season tires give you a compromise and will grip even in the slightly colder temperatures. A good set of all season tires should last about 3-4 years. So you get the most "value" out of your money.

It all depends on what you want. long life or better traction.

Thanks, i think i might go with all season, what brand and model do u recommend? also should i get a new set of rims, wat's the benifit in that?

crxgsr 04-14-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanbo (Post 1560172)
Thanks, i think i might go with all season, what brand and model do u recommend? also should i get a new set of rims, wat's the benifit in that?

The benefit of rims is this:
- if you don't have rims, then to changeover from winter tires to all season tires is about $60+ per season (2 seasons in a year).
- if you have rims, then the changeover from winter tires to all season tires is only $25 per season (even cheaper if you do it yourself)
- so savings of at least $70 a year. If you intend to keep your car for over 4 years, the rims will pay for themselves (based on 16" steel rims pricing)

Also, the benefit of the tires not getting "accidentally" damaged going on and off every season.

crxgsr 04-14-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanbo (Post 1560172)
Thanks, i think i might go with all season, what brand and model do u recommend?

PM me and I we can discuss more.

blakneto 04-14-2012 07:54 PM

All the above answers are acceptable... just go with what you like and how much you are willing to spend. Just don't buy crap you'll have to change every year...

pats330i 04-20-2012 08:45 PM

Try Discount Tire in the US. Best prices around for HP Tires. They also sell wheels and they have packages.

awatts79 04-20-2012 09:44 PM

http://www.infoocean.info/avatar4.jpgI believe all summer tires required bigger than 16" rims because they are thinner.

Shanbo 04-20-2012 09:59 PM

Thanks all for your help, I just went to my local shop today and got a set of Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, $820 installed plus a $70 mail-in rebate.

Have to say I'm loving them so far, very smooth ride compared to the ipike winters I had on.

Eurostyle 04-20-2012 11:24 PM

^^^Pretty good i guess, but we had the same set WITH OEM aluminum rims in new condition for $600...*wave*

Dinanstu 04-21-2012 07:19 AM

I agree, should have bought the wheels. Now he has to pull 'em off every Fall and Spring for about ~ $100 and stand in the line-up of cranky snow fearing customers!

With the money he'd save...hmmmmm