maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Safety for new owner question... (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149956)

AlpWhitE46 04-07-2012 01:22 PM

Safety for new owner question...
 
I'm just wondering how it works...

If i'm selling my car right now and new owner wants me to "safety the car", how does that work if the car is still in my name..?

Does the ownership not need to be changed, and then car safetied..?

3x Beemer 04-07-2012 01:45 PM

No Just get it safetied It's good for 36 days to the car not the owner if I recall.

AlpWhitE46 04-07-2012 01:53 PM

Risky if it does not sell in 36 days lol

bmwm5lover 04-07-2012 02:53 PM

U would only certify with non refundable deposit obviously

///M_AMAZIN 04-07-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlpWhitE46 (Post 1558714)
If i'm selling my car right now and new owner wants me to "safety the car", how does that work if the car is still in my name..?

Does the ownership not need to be changed, and then car safetied..?

Listen Pimp, Its a piece of paper that the ministry requires when you go transfer the ownership, so sellers usually provide safety(along with emissions) to the buyer...

You can get your car saftied at any mechanic shop (its basically a test they do to see if the car is road legal)

So get that bish safety papers and give it to the seller..

AlpWhitE46 04-07-2012 04:43 PM

I know what safety is .. lol just was curious because I always did safety when i bought a car...

damameke 04-07-2012 06:04 PM

Safety is just certification, and certification in ONT is a joke
some basic check, thats it.. you can also sell it "as is"

AlpWhitE46 04-07-2012 06:48 PM

Ya, lot of people want it "safetied" before hand

propr'one 04-07-2012 09:45 PM

dude that car is not going to fail a safety. Tell the buyer once you have a deposit you'll get him a safety. Any issues pm me

KIRASIR 04-08-2012 10:17 PM

Safety cert is on the car (based on the vin) not on the driver/owner. I usually add at least 100 bucks to the price of the car if a buyer wants a safety certificate (to cover my time and cost of the cert).



Quote:

Originally Posted by AlpWhitE46 (Post 1558714)
I'm just wondering how it works...

If i'm selling my car right now and new owner wants me to "safety the car", how does that work if the car is still in my name..?

Does the ownership not need to be changed, and then car safetied..?


AlpWhitE46 04-09-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KIRASIR (Post 1558935)
Safety cert is on the car (based on the vin) not on the driver/owner. I usually add at least 100 bucks to the price of the car if a buyer wants a safety certificate (to cover my time and cost of the cert).



So then why when you change ownership of the car the new person has to get safety..

Emissions goes by car/amount of years.... not safety...

I changed ownership from me to my mom and only then i didn't have to safety it

propr'one 04-09-2012 03:02 AM

when an owner changes, you always need a safety. Giving cars to direct family members isn't considered an ownership change (you didn't pay taxes then, either)

MrRWD 04-09-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlpWhitE46 (Post 1558714)
I'm just wondering how it works...

If i'm selling my car right now and new owner wants me to "safety the car", how does that work if the car is still in my name..?

Does the ownership not need to be changed, and then car safetied..?


Most of the information is fairly accurate that is provided. However, if you are selling a higher end car ($10K or more, and less that 150,000KM), it's in the best interest of the seller to get a safety inspection and valid etest a head of time.

… An knowledgeable person wouldn’t pay good money for an AS-IS car.
If a car is being sold As-is, I’d automatically assume it would need about $1000 worth to be safe.

You'll generally get more for a car that is certified and etested.
The safety will assure at least your brakes, most of the suspension, and safety items are good.

If I decide to sell a car, I always get a pre-safety inspection done. This way, I know how much it would cost me to safety the car (or if it's worth it).

You don't want to be in a position to sell a car "Certified" for $3000, and realize that it would cost you $1500 to safety it. Have the inspection done first. Get the actual safety inspection when you sell it.
... In this case, you would have been better of selling it for $2250-$2500 AS-IS...

If I buy a used car certified (dealer or private), I always get my own safety right away. In Toronto, there are a lot of crooks. I've had major things missed. The shop is liable, and must fix.


.... I'd never buy a car AS-IS.

.....I'd never personally accept a Etest that is more than 2 months old. A lot can happen in a year in terms of emissions.

SiR 04-09-2012 11:07 AM

its standard practice to sell a car safety and etest included unless its a beater or in obvious need of repair.

if you arent including it with the e36, no wonder it hasnt sold.


If you buy a car and register it while the safety is valid the new owner does not need to go and get it safety'd again. If you had to safety past cars its because you bought it without one being done OR you went to register after they had expired.

KIRASIR 04-09-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlpWhitE46 (Post 1558958)
So then why when you change ownership of the car the new person has to get safety..

Emissions goes by car/amount of years.... not safety...

In some countries in Europe, safety must be done yearly, in Ontario, yearly tech inspection would probably cause a riot if it were introduced. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlpWhitE46 (Post 1558958)
I changed ownership from me to my mom and only then i didn't have to safety it

That's interesting because I just did an ownership transfer to a relative 2 months ago and had to get a safety cert...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiR (Post 1559015)
its standard practice to sell a car safety and etest included unless its a beater or in obvious need of repair.

Sounds like you haven't bought or sold many cars in Ontario. It is hardly a standard practice in the used car market.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2014