maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   E36 steering rack info needed! (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149949)

gotcurry 04-07-2012 01:31 AM

E36 steering rack info needed!
 
My 328is is in need of a steering rack. I was wondering what I can fit in there in terms of other models such as z3,e30,e46 etc.. and what would be the advantage/disadvantage of going with them. Also r rebuild racks any good in terms of cost/quality. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Axxe 04-07-2012 07:36 AM

Non m and 96-99 m3 are same, 95 m3 slightly quicker ratio, z3 less turns due to less travel. Stay away from e30 racks, they require modification and are a downgrade. E46 racks dont fit to my knowledge.

gotcurry 04-07-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe (Post 1558675)
Non m and 96-99 m3 are same, 95 m3 slightly quicker ratio, z3 less turns due to less travel. Stay away from e30 racks, they require modification and are a downgrade. E46 racks dont fit to my knowledge.

Awesome.. thnx for the info

Eurostyle 04-07-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe (Post 1558675)
Non m and 96-99 m3 are same, 95 m3 slightly quicker ratio, z3 less turns due to less travel. Stay away from e30 racks, they require modification and are a downgrade. E46 racks dont fit to my knowledge.

If E46 rack fits on E30, has to fit the E36! *th-up* They are almost identical in design. 330's after 9.01 had the 3.0 turn ratio that was shorter then other E46's...

gotcurry 04-07-2012 11:50 AM

can you elaborate more on the ratio and what it does?

Eurostyle 04-07-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotcurry (Post 1558709)
can you elaborate more on the ratio and what it does?

Pretty much means how many turns of the steering wheel you need to go from full left to full right. The smaller the #, the more responsive the steering is! *wave*

gotcurry 04-07-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eurostyle (Post 1558710)
Pretty much means how many turns of the steering wheel you need to go from full left to full right. The smaller the #, the more responsive the steering is! *wave*


you got any i can use???

cormier 04-07-2012 01:02 PM

Ya e46 racks should fit, I believe I've also seen modification to use z4m racks if you want to go that far :p

Z3/02+e46.330/e36m are ideal in that order IMO from when I was looking around

gotcurry 04-07-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cormier (Post 1558720)
Ya e46 racks should fit, I believe I've also seen modification to use z4m racks if you want to go that far :p

Z3/02+e46.330/e36m are ideal in that order IMO from when I was looking around

thnx for the info. now i just need to find one :(

cormier 04-07-2012 02:37 PM

You're looking used/cost effective? Or rebuilt?

gotcurry 04-07-2012 03:29 PM

i was considering rebuilt but wasnt sure how much it would cost me

Axxe 04-07-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eurostyle (Post 1558707)
If E46 rack fits on E30, has to fit the E36! *th-up* They are almost identical in design. 330's after 9.01 had the 3.0 turn ratio that was shorter then other E46's...

Learn something new everyday.

egye30 04-07-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eurostyle (Post 1558707)
If E46 rack fits on E30, has to fit the E36! *th-up* They are almost identical in design. 330's after 9.01 had the 3.0 turn ratio that was shorter then other E46's...

He's deff right about that, this is a stock e30 rack vs an 04 330 (e46) rack going into my e30, courtesy of Mr Eurostyle himself. Very similar in design, veeery different on the road.

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1332569402

SiR 04-09-2012 10:16 AM

e46 racks bolt right in.
even z4 fits(just).

even your stock lines bolt right up .

oem homologation ftw


and the rack ratio means a heck of a lot more than the turns to lock. you want to concentrate on the ratio if you are looking to change things up.
example above the later model 330 rack have a 13:1 ratio. (which is actually faster than the e46 m3 rack which is around 14.5:1 iirc)

You can find good shape used e46 racks at a few of the bmw parts guys around these parts.

gotcurry 04-10-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiR (Post 1559017)
e46 racks bolt right in.
even z4 fits(just).

even your stock lines bolt right up .

oem homologation ftw


and the rack ratio means a heck of a lot more than the turns to lock. you want to concentrate on the ratio if you are looking to change things up.
example above the later model 330 rack have a 13:1 ratio. (which is actually faster than the e46 m3 rack which is around 14.5:1 iirc)

You can find good shape used e46 racks at a few of the bmw parts guys around these parts.

thnx for the info.. i am actually shopping around for them.. i called a few places but have not been able to get a proper response.. if anyone has a steering rack from an e46 late model 330 or m3 or even e36 pls let me knw.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.